Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Setting up a computer network

I bought a laptop and want to network it with my desktop.

The IT guy at work gave me a Linksys router they had laying around, but didn't have the install disc. I downloaded all that I could and am hoping the firmware file I got from their site will be the proper install dick once I figure out how to burn the BIN file to a CD. I got as far as I could in setting up the network using the network setup on XP (both computers are XP.)

They both recognize that there is a network cable and the desktop is fine for getting on the internet as before.

Any pointers?

How easy is it to set up file sharing or the ability to transfer from one to the other?

Also, is it difficult to move the files from games like FOF2007 & OOTP9 so that I can just pick up where I left off?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am horrible when it comes to software stuff.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most (if not all) Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1 as their access address. Trying using that to enter into the router to change various settings as needed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I did that. The funny thing was that I was able to access it from the laptop, but not the desktop.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

You guys weren't lying... That was easy!

That is, once I realized the problem was that my cable modem was hooked up to the computer using BOTH an ethernet & USB. When the cable guy set it up he had trouble with the ethernet. I never thought about it. After doing a little checking I found the ethernet driver was corrupted. Finding the drivers disk did the trick.

I am up and running wiith an actual, real life computer network. I'm even posting this from my new laptop!

Time to go to bed, as it is 5am.