Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

RIP Gene Upshaw

SI.com is reporting that Gene Upshaw has died
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

ESPN - Hall of Famer Upshaw loses battle with pancreatic cancer - NFL

Hall of Famer Upshaw loses battle with pancreatic cancer

ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 21, 2008, 8:52 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print

Hall of Fame football player and longtime NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw has died.

Upshaw, 63, had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Clear Channel Online first reported the story early Thursday morning. ESPN has confirmed the report.

Upshaw played offensive guard with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders from 1967 until 1981. He was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and an 11-time All-Pro selection. He played in three Super Bowls -- winning two -- and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987.

Upshaw was the Oakland Raiders' first-round choice in the first combined AFL-NFL draft in 1967. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound lineman had played center, tackle and end at Texas A&I.

Upshaw moved to guard with the Raiders, starting in 207 straight regular-season games until being forced out of action by injury for one game in 1981. Upshaw returned the next week and played in 10 more games in what turned out to be his final season.

Upshaw was a member of the bargaining committee for the NFLPA throughout his playing days in the late 1970s and early 1980s. After his retirement, he took over as NFLPA executive director in June 1983.

Upshaw led the players union through a strike in 1987 and years of anti-trust litigation against the league, including a brief period in which the NFLPA became a professional association rather than a union. The union eventually accepted a salary cap in return for free agency. Union members got a bigger share of league revenues because of the deal.

Upshaw came up against controversy in 2006 when some 325 retired players from the AFL and NFL came forward with accounts of being given minimal disability benefits.

Baltimore Ravens kicker Matt Stover had been leading an effort to oust Upshaw as the NFLPA executive director. In April, he e-mailed a plan to fellow player representatives to have a new union boss in place by March 2009.

Upshaw responded, speaking of the looming labor confrontation with owners when the current contract expires, by saying: "I would never leave until this deal is done."

Upshaw is survived by his wife, Terri, and sons, Justin, Daniel and Eugene Jr.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

This could have a dramatic impact on the future landscape of the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

While I generally hate to express happiness at the passing of another, hopefully this at least helps nudge the NFL in the right direction towards fixing the issues with retired players and the pensions.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
While I generally hate to express happiness at the passing of another, hopefully this at least helps nudge the NFL in the right direction towards fixing the issues with retired players and the pensions.

Absolutely. He was one of the most divisive union heads in professional sports. Good football player, but the next head of the union has a whole lot of messes to clean up that Upshaw failed or even refused to address.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think the NFL faces greater uncertainty now than it did before. I think this is bad for the NFL fan.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

BK's right, it may end up being bad for the NFL if they don't replace Upshaw with someone who is competent. But it's certainly good for retired NFL players, that's without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

This impacts more than retired players.

This has a huge impact on the upcoming labor discussions. Many think that Gene was way too into the pockets of the owners with regard to Salary Cap, etc.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Oh it definitely effects more than just that, but I'm significantly biased WRT it effecting retired players.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I mean he definitely can hide behind that line of thinking (the constituency crap) but it's Upshaw's job as the head of the Union to do what is best for the players, and that includes educating them that they won't be getting that money either.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I will profess some ignorance here, but I thought the problem with the retired players was that current players are the ones in charge of the union, and they are short-sighted enough to not care about the retired ones - and that Upshaw was merely responding to the wishes of his constituency.

Where am I wrong on this?

You are wrong in thinking that Gene ever did what the players wanted.

Plus the Players Union head in whatever sport can stear the opinion of the players.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

RIP Gene.

I just interviewed Christopher Henry, VP of Player Development for an article I wrote and I was hoping to get an interview with Gene or someone high up in the NFLPA for a follow up to the article.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
BigDPW
College Prospect

WOW... Had no idea he even had cancer... RIP Gene...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This could have a dramatic impact on the future landscape of the NFL.

Not likely. The NFLPA was planning to remove Upshaw as Union leader before negotiations were to heat up with the NFL. In fact, Upshaw had taken a hard line in refusing to a 2nd in command who would take over for Upshaw and Upshaw was insisting on remaining in office beyond the expiration of his term. Upshaw's presence was causing dueling factions to form in the NFLPA and he was likely to be removed very soon.

See: ProFootballTalk.com (and search for Gene Upshaw)

Quote:
This impacts more than retired players.

This has a huge impact on the upcoming labor discussions. Many think that Gene was way too into the pockets of the owners with regard to Salary Cap, etc.

Also not likely. See above.

Quote:
You are wrong in thinking that Gene ever did what the players wanted.

Plus the Players Union head in whatever sport can stear the opinion of the players.

I don't even know where to go with this comment. When people point to labor stability in the NFL as one of the reasons for it's current success, Upshaw is as much (if not moreso) responsible.

Upshaw was able to get NFL Players unrestricted free agency. That was a huge victory that many other NFLPA union leaders could never accomplish. Upshaw was smart to take the battle through the courtroom rather than through strikes and was more successful doing so. More recently, it is largely stated that Upshaw "won" the previous round of negotiations with the NFL and why NFL owners are so eager to opt out of the current labor deal.

Towards the end, I do think Upshaw became more difficult and had outlived his effectiveness in representing the players. However, to doubt his impact and performance over the job over the years is ridiculous, imo.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 08-21-2008 at 10:47 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Towards the end, I do think Upshaw became more difficult and had outlived his effectiveness in representing the players. However, to doubt his impact and performance over the job over the years is ridiculous, imo.

I don't disagree with you here. I'm just going on multitudes of player interviews I've heard in recent years that have issues with Gene and how he runs things.

I personally think Gene's perspective is good for the fan. I just think there is a core of players that do not think it is good for them and their pocketbooks.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Not likely. The NFLPA was planning to remove Upshaw as Union leader before negotiations were to heat up with the NFL. In fact, Upshaw had taken a hard line in refusing to a 2nd in command who would take over for Upshaw and Upshaw was insisting on remaining in office beyond the expiration of his term. Upshaw's presence was causing dueling factions to form in the NFLPA and he was likely to be removed very soon.

See: ProFootballTalk.com (and search for Gene Upshaw)

You say this like removing Gene would be nice and clean and everyone would be happy.

Removing Gene was not going to be pretty. IF they removed him the removal itself would cause some upheaval.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I don't disagree with you here. I'm just going on multitudes of player interviews I've heard in recent years that have issues with Gene and how he runs things.

I personally think Gene's perspective is good for the fan. I just think there is a core of players that do not think it is good for them and their pocketbooks.

Ah, ok. I can get behind that. I'm sure there is a set of players who resent a lack of guaranteed contracts and any kind of cap.

[sheathes sword]
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Ah, ok. I can get behind that. I'm sure there is a set of players who resent a lack of guaranteed contracts and any kind of cap.

[sheathes sword]

Yeah - that's what i was referring to.

I could see the new sherriff potentially pushing for things like this where Gene had no interest.

I have no idea what the selection process is like though, so who knows.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah - that's what i was referring to.

I could see the new sherriff potentially pushing for things like this where Gene had no interest.

I have no idea what the selection process is like though, so who knows.

So what you are saying is they may clone Donald Fehr.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
WOW... Had no idea he even had cancer... RIP Gene...

From what I've read, he only told his family and it was a well kept secret. Pancreatic cancer is a bitch. Sad to see him pass away as I remember him being one of my grandfather's favorite non-Eagle players.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
From what I've read, he only told his family and it was a well kept secret. Pancreatic cancer is a bitch. Sad to see him pass away as I remember him being one of my grandfather's favorite non-Eagle players.

On ESPN Radio they said he only found out about the cancer on Sunday.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
On ESPN Radio they said he only found out about the cancer on Sunday.

Like most men do. Men are terrible about getting regular check-ups, hence they often find out that it's a major problem far too late. It's an excellent reminder to everyone to get a regular check-up.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pancreatic cancer is almost never found until it is too late. It generally doesn't have symptoms until it is very late. Average survival time is 3 to 6 months after diagnosis.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Pancreatic cancer is almost never found until it is too late. It generally doesn't have symptoms until it is very late. Average survival time is 3 to 6 months after diagnosis.

I was speaking in general, but I'll take the extra info and add it to the databank.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That is truly awful.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The last chance for NFL labor peace has just left us. There will be serious problems in the league in the not too near future.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

RIP. I know right now he's wearing Silver and Black.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote