Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

EA Sports to introduce the first Console MMO Sports game with NHL 09?

IGN: NHL 09 Preview

.... Ok.. THIS is something new. And hockey is one of those sports where everyone gets relatively into the action (can you imagine the crush to try to be the point guard in NBA, so you can jack up 30 threes a game, or the QB in Madden?).

I especially like that you get penalized in your ratings if you don't play your position correctly.

They have done something I didn't think was possible, made me care about an EA Sports Hockey game.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
IGN: NHL 09 Preview

.... Ok.. THIS is something new. And hockey is one of those sports where everyone gets relatively into the action (can you imagine the crush to try to be the point guard in NBA, so you can jack up 30 threes a game, or the QB in Madden?).

I especially like that you get penalized in your ratings if you don't play your position correctly.

They have done something I didn't think was possible, made me care about an EA Sports Hockey game.

This is the absolute key. It has to be done well enough that the game isn't completely cheezy and feels like the real sport but not so hard that it's not fun. I give EA about a 0.1% chance of pulling it off first time, but I'm excited to see how they do it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds interesting. I bet it would work for basketball too. If there's good coaching ai your ass would hit the bench if you keep jacking threes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sounds interesting. I bet it would work for basketball too. If there's good coaching ai your ass would hit the bench if you keep jacking threes.

I'd love to see this for basketball. I'm intrigued to see it in hockey. This might persuade me to buy it this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Some talk of it here.

NHL09 pre-release talk - Front Office Football Central
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think my excitement about the positioning thing is almost matched by my fear of how it will be implemented. For example, if a defenceman pinches, is he out of position? Or only if he gets caught? If he goes in deep and a winger drops back to cover his point, is the winger now getting docked for being out of position too? Will this sort of thing lead to people not wanting to cover their teammates mistakes, thereby reducing overall team play?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote