Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Bad-example
College Starter

Good, Free Chess Server?

I am looking for one with the plan of giving some online lessons to my niece and nephew. Also, would like to get the rust off and possibly prepare to play in an OTB tourney (after an 18 year layoff) in the next few months. A search here revealed www.freechess.org as a possibility. Is this server still worth a try? Any other servers that would fit my needs?

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I am looking for one with the plan of giving some online lessons to my niece and nephew. Also, would like to get the rust off and possibly prepare to play in an OTB tourney (after an 18 year layoff) in the next few months. A search here revealed www.freechess.org as a possibility. Is this server still worth a try? Any other servers that would fit my needs?

I've been playing on GameKnot lately, participating every now and then in the free monthly tournaments - and promptly getting my clock cleaned out due to my inept ability to play chess.

http://www.gameknot.com

It's free, some people subscribe, but you can generally play a max of 6 games at a time I think.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

It is the best option. I'm there a lot.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Bad-example
College Starter

Thanks for the advice. Will try the freechess.org first. Getting tired of getting my ass kicked by Fritz
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Will try the freechess.org first. Getting tired of getting my ass kicked by Fritz

Hrm. Maybe I should join this too, in addition to GameKnot - you can't be possibly any worse than me at chess.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

look me up when you get there. my name is Gorgonian and i have it up almost all the time because i know a lot of people that go there a lot
Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Bad-example
College Starter

Waiting on password email now.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

I used GameKnot a couple of years ago when I had a chess itch. Tried a tourney or two, but ran up against players who were obviously better than their rating (rating was pulled down by timed out games).
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I used GameKnot a couple of years ago when I had a chess itch. Tried a tourney or two, but ran up against players who were obviously better than their rating (rating was pulled down by timed out games).

Hrm. I've been playing on the 'Casual' a couple of times, and ran into some decent players. Most of the tourneys I've played on (next one's 8/4) I've had at least one out of the 4 players time out on me. Kind of frustrating...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Bad-example
College Starter

Got my password and logged in to look around. Freechess.org seems a bit daunting at first but I will figure things out. Thanks for the initial aid there, MJ4H. Gonna get my brother and his kids to install tonight and see if we can get something going.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
Bad-example
College Starter

Any advice regarding a custom interface? Are there any that allow easy chat between the players?

Went on as a guest and played a little. Damn am I rusty.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

need to get my game going again
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
MJ4H
Coordinator

www.babaschess.net for the best interface. Chatting is easy. Babaschess is great for chatting, too, but it's easier than you think anyway. Between players just use the say command, or you can use a period (.) to talk to the last person you used "tell" with. For instance to talk to Chad you could use:

tell chad hi
and then from then on:
. where are you from
. oh that sucks im from ohio

etc.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Bad-example
College Starter

Okie doke...now rocking the babaschess interace! Thanks again.

Looks like my brother wants to try playing in an OTB tourney this weekend. So, three days to prepare. Oh, and the tourney is in 2 sections and I am rated 20 points too high for the lower section. I didn't have any expectations that I could do well after such a long layoff, but it ain't gonna help that pretty much everyone I play will be higher rated. Oh well...the real fun will be seeing my nephew playing in his second tournament.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Hrm. Maybe I should join this too, in addition to GameKnot - you can't be possibly any worse than me at chess.

The interface and server seem just fine. Pretty easy to jump right in. Everyone I have played so far has been cool, except the guy that kept requesting I abort the game I was winning handily, heh. If you (or anyone else) are still considering joining, look for BadExample (no hyphens allowed ).
Old 08-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Bad-example
College Starter

Played in my first tournament games in 18 years today. The first game was against a 2100 rated player, a healthy 300 points higher than the rating I had when I quit playing. I put up a pretty good fight before succumbing in a king and pawn endgame. I was happy I was at least able to make him work for his full point.

The second game I was again paired against a higher rating, 1940. Another close game where I gained a big queenside advantage early but had to withstand a kingside attack before I could make it pay off. He tried to pry open some lines but took too long and I was able to trade off his most dangerous pieces. It was very satisfying to win this game, especially since I got to sacrifice my queen to set up a mate.

I truly expected to go 0-4 this weekend. Good fun.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Bad-example
College Starter

With a triple dola, I finish my account..fast forward style.

Game 3 - draw. (1940 rating)

Game 4 - lost. (1911)

Held my own. No huge mistakes. Had fun. Exhausted now. Really, I forgot how much energy it takes.