Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Mount & Blade(Indy PC Game)

Yeah I know the thread title is begging for a parody thread, and I accept that.

Mount & Blade

Anyone seen or tried this one? I've seen it tossed around on a couple different forums and gave it a try for a little bit yesterday and today. I can't give a full fledged recommendation on it as I've only played an hour or so but I think it has a lot of potential.

It's a two person operation, just a husband and wife working on this game. The basis is a non-Fantasy Medieval setting, and I think it plays out as a mix between a land-based Pirates! and playing out as a single unit in the Total War series. Sounds pretty frigging cool eh?

Basically it's a third person/first person "shooter". You control the Captain of a band of men, I only have about 8 peasants I recruited with me, but they've levelled up to Caravan Guards and some have horses, bows, etc...

I don't think there's a real story to the game, other than two major factions who are at war with each other. You pick a side, and it looks like you can have some epic battles as I've ran across groups of 2 40+ war parties. I can imagine how intense that would get.

The combat is satisfying, you have to block and parry and wait for your attacks. There's a huge difference obviously when you have a mount. I've had a blast so far just patrolling up and down the river near the starter town chasing down bandits, and leading my men by insanely charging right into the middle of a swarm of enemies.

You gain levels, can put skills in, and can buy better equipment. You can give your men equipment, buy more of them, and recruit some "heroes". There's shops to buy goods from and trade back and forth to build your cash reserve. There's the arena at the starter town where you can engage in random fights and bet money on your side winning. I've seen 2v2 and 3v3 fights there mostly, and you'll be given a random weapon and sometimes a mount. It's fun, and a way to gain some cash without having to worry about dying.

The demo lasts until you make Level 6 I believe, but to order a serial for the full game is only 10 bucks, so you can't beat that deal. I'm not sure how much lasting appeal the game will have, but taking it for what it's worth, two people making a pretty novel game, I think it's worth a look.

I love this sort of thing though, would be very pleased to see it get some backing. I think it could be great. Awesome idea at least.

Heh, I hope the title of the game in the subject line let people know that this was an Independent game and not an Indy car game. Apologies to anyone dissapointed by that.

Last edited by Calis : 04-24-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

I'll bump this just once, for the weekday crowd.

I played this more yesterday afternoon, until the demo ended, and then immediately bought the game after.

It's really a lot of fun.

It has like I said, a real Pirates! feel to it, and a bit of Morrowind dabbled in.

I have created a huge Empire of Salt, running trade routes from the Salt Mines way up North to the starter town with my lone Merchant by himself, just his three horses to carry goods. I've made quite a bit of cash, and then outfitted my guy with some nice armor and weapons, and am now raising quite the group of soldiers, about 30 of them.

I am devastating with throwing weapons. I usually ride into battle equipped with Javelins and throwing knives, and it gets nasty there. A headshot with a Javelin does some damage, let me tell you.

Good stuff though, and love to see good Independent games supported, so give it a shot.

Now if they add a story in and tweak a few other things, it'll be great.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I just got into this game and it is criminally fun.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote