Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Angry I'm so ticked at Athlon!

Every year since 1998 I've purchased their college football preview and darn near read it cover to cover.

This year, obviously, I wasn't able to buy it from the newstand, so I had my wife buy it and send it to me. I just got it two days ago.

Comparing last years to this years (including this year's preview, I have three onboard with me), I'm very unhappy.

One, the price is up a buck. Not that I care, but I felt I would have been robbed if it was the same price as last years.

Two, the content is down. Instead of talking about this year's team, they put in stats of last year's team. Why do I buy a preview? Because I want to know about the upcoming team. I don't want stats of last season. edit: I'd guess that the article content is down 1/3 from last year's preview.

Three, the upcoming schedule is posted twice. Once on the team page, once in the back. On the team page, they list predictions of each team. That is cool. But why have a schedule in the back as well? Makes no sense to me.

Four, there's no Division I-AA preview this year.

Now, I do like the idea of posting the schedule on the team page. I also like the "returning leaders" section. However, overall, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the magazine this year. I even wrote the editor. I have never done that before.

Any suggestions as to any other college football previews I should ask my wife for?

Thanks guys. This ends my rant.

Last edited by Poli : 07-04-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Athlon sucks. They put everything out ASAP so their magazine can be the first on the shelves.

Try college football news, but I like Lindy's the best
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

I don't believe Ardents story at ALL...

There is NO WAY he knows how to read

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks bbor for the great laugh. But you still suck .
Old 07-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

Your not allowed to say that till the Raiders beat the Bbors

And so far they have been avoiding me like the plague

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Didn't you hurt Jerome last time? That automatically rules you out of any future "friendlies".
Old 07-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I haven't looked at one in several years (not since the 'net became the primary source for stat/roster info) and I'm not even sure they're still around but I found that I preferred The Sporting News football & basketball annuals to anyone else's.

They had pretty much what I was looking for -- schedules, rosters, capsule previews & some historical data tossed into tables in the back (past champions, bowl results, etc).
Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
sooner333
College Starter

I got Phil Steele's preview, and I must say, for in depth info for each and every team, its great. 250+ pages with really small print and packed with info. I could do without all of the gambling trends, but still, its worth the $8 investment.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote