Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Game Review websites...

Which site do you guys feel is the most neutral when it comes to reviewing games?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Honestly, none of them.

I'm more inclined to check out a couple websites and see what the general word of mouth is rather than going to a review site. All the big ones have their issues, and it really varies writer to writer.

If I do go, I'm more likely to use gamerankings or metacritic and go from there rather than go to one specific site. If you can find a general consensus then you're a little better off. I definitely wouldn't take just one as gospel.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Everybody's going to bring something different to the table.

The trash is going to get seen for what it is virtually everywhere, but where you're going to see differences is in the good-to-great range.

Some reviewers will overlook what they perceive to be smaller issues if they think a game is really great, while others will be that strict math teacher who insisted you show your work to completion and ding a game that others think is great over minor issues, and settle on it being merely "good" or "very good."

Also, and having been on the writing side of the line for a number of years, I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the reviews to completion.

The text will tell you more about variances in play enjoyment than the difference between a 72 and an 81 will.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
If I do go, I'm more likely to use gamerankings or metacritic and go from there rather than go to one specific site. If you can find a general consensus then you're a little better off. I definitely wouldn't take just one as gospel.

That's what I do. I go to gamerankings, read a few of the reviews and make the call from there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I pretty much just buy everything that the Missouri fans on this board tell me to buy.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Calis
College Starter

As an aside to this, I've just the past few days downloaded and listened to a couple of podcasts, the Games for Windows podcast and Gamers with Jobs and I'm extremely impressed actually. I highly recommend both of them. The Games for Windows podcasts was absolutely nothing like what I expected, and it is a good portion of the time only in a roundabout way related to gaming, but it can be pretty funny. I wouldn't go there for hard-hitting reviews, I think they keep those for their magazine but for an entertainment oriented game show it's great. They have some good guests, I just listened to one with Ken Levine, and they talk about all games not just PC games. They do occasionally go pretty in depth into their thoughts of certain games so it can be informative.

I've only listened to one Gamers with Jobs podcast but it seems a bit more serious, but still with a healthy dose of humor.

Worth a listen imo, but maybe everyone already does and I'm just late to the party.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Everybody's going to bring something different to the table.

The trash is going to get seen for what it is virtually everywhere, but where you're going to see differences is in the good-to-great range.

Some reviewers will overlook what they perceive to be smaller issues if they think a game is really great, while others will be that strict math teacher who insisted you show your work to completion and ding a game that others think is great over minor issues, and settle on it being merely "good" or "very good."

Also, and having been on the writing side of the line for a number of years, I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the reviews to completion.

The text will tell you more about variances in play enjoyment than the difference between a 72 and an 81 will.

As a math teacher, I'm not sure if I should take offense to that.

Last edited by rowech : 03-19-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I pretty much just buy everything that the Missouri fans on this board tell me to buy.

I don't know why but that cracked me up.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
As a math teacher, I'm not sure if I should take offense to that.

Dunno.

Depends on what kind of math teacher you are.

I've had some for whom it doesn't matter if you got the right answer - if you didn't do it *their* way, it wasn't any good. That's the kind of math teacher I'm talking about.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
SportsDigs.com is the best by far.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I like metacritic more than gamerankings, it shows all the scores in order from best to worst with the review summed up in a few sentences.

I need to check out that sportsdigs.com site, reviews of sports games tend to be worse than other genres.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
As an aside to this, I've just the past few days downloaded and listened to a couple of podcasts, the Games for Windows podcast and Gamers with Jobs and I'm extremely impressed actually. I highly recommend both of them. The Games for Windows podcasts was absolutely nothing like what I expected, and it is a good portion of the time only in a roundabout way related to gaming, but it can be pretty funny. I wouldn't go there for hard-hitting reviews, I think they keep those for their magazine but for an entertainment oriented game show it's great. They have some good guests, I just listened to one with Ken Levine, and they talk about all games not just PC games. They do occasionally go pretty in depth into their thoughts of certain games so it can be informative.

I've only listened to one Gamers with Jobs podcast but it seems a bit more serious, but still with a healthy dose of humor.

Worth a listen imo, but maybe everyone already does and I'm just late to the party.
I really enjoy the PC Gamer Podcast and to a lesser extent the Game Theory Podcast.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Unfortunately, I pander with the usual places. Gamespot and Gamespy.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Not really related to overall quality since I don't read gaming sites, but Mrs. Leafs new site has launched: gamefocus.ca.

It's focused on the Canadian market and they're still ironing out some bugs, but I'm actually kind of surprised at how well they've done in a short time.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 03-19-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I've been going to Gamespot and IGN for a long time no... some reviews I don't agree with but most they're pretty much right on - imo

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

metacritic

but I won't buy games without demos so I can "review" them myself
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
They don't have to do it my way as long as what they do is mathematically sound and yes...show me what they're doing through the work.

Which is fine.

Those would be the kind of reviewers who will overlook minor quirks for the overall picture.

Not all of 'em are like that, though. Some of them will harp on every little imperfection in the game and miss the forest for the trees.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I've been going to Gamespot and IGN for a long time no... some reviews I don't agree with but most they're pretty much right on - imo

I generally use these 2 and IGN has gotten a lot better with their number scores lately. You actually see a wide range of scores, with some even getting 4s and 5s now.

SackAttack has it right, though, read the review if you're really interested in a game. It will give you a better idea of whether or not you'll like a game than just looking at the numbers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

FOFC
molson is offline   Reply With Quote