Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

NFL Games on the NFL Network

(Sorry if this has come up recently and I missed it)

Last year, the final game of the season for the Giants and Redskins was aired on the NFL Network. Not a huge deal, since the Giants were maybe/maybe not for the playoffs (and would surely lose quickly if they made it), and the Redskins had been done for awhile.

Still sucked that I could not watch the game.

I was just looking over the schedule for the rest of the year to see what Giants games I'd get to see, and which ones I wouldn't (living in South Jersey means the Eagles get priority on the telly when the Eagles and Giants play at the same time, so I miss a game here and there). That's when I saw the last game of the season. New England Patriots at New York Giants, TV: NFL NETWORK | DIRECTV: 212

*sigh*

Looking at this in the preseason, this game was obviously going to have playoff meaning for both teams. Now, it will definitely have playoff meaning for one team, and possibly record setting meaning for the other. And it will only be shown on the NFL Network.

So I went looking. Starting in Week 12, at least one game will be shown on the NFL Network

Week 12: Colts at Falcons
Week 13: Packers at Cowboys
Week 14: Bears at Redskins
Week 15: Broncos at Texans and Bengals at 49ers
Week 16: Steelers at Rams and Cowboys at Panthers
Week 17: Patriots at Giants

Some pretty big games in there that most people will not get to see.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
I cant believe more people dont have NFL Network.

The main reason we have Directv is for the Sunday Ticket and NFLN.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
I cant believe more people dont have NFL Network.

The main reason we have Directv is for the Sunday Ticket and NFLN.

I used to have the NFL Network when it was part of expanded basic cable on Comcast. Then Comcast won some lawsuit and NFLN was immediately moved to the sports package.

To be honest, I don't really miss having it. I do miss a good highlight show on Sundays. Football Night in America is simply unwatchable. But other than Sunday highlights and draft day (and maybe some draft specials leading up to it), I didn't ever watch NFLN.

I imainge I will miss it more when I can't watch these games, but I remember last year when the NFLN was airing games. In most cases, I totally forgot the game was even on and the only time I did remember was when I was scrolling through channels and the game caught my eye. Then again, those games were pretty bad and certainly lacked the draw of a Cowboys/Packers or Patriots/Giants match-up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have the sports package with Comcast (mostly for soccer stuff), so I get the NFLN, but I do side with Comcast on that spat. NFL was basically trying to charge ESPN rates for its channel which would be seen by far less people... other than when games were on. So why not move them to a $5/month sports tier to make up some of that money?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

DirecTV is awesome. The NFL Network is now in HD.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You realize that isn't exclusive to DirecTV, right?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have the sports package with Comcast (mostly for soccer stuff), so I get the NFLN, but I do side with Comcast on that spat. NFL was basically trying to charge ESPN rates for its channel which would be seen by far less people... other than when games were on. So why not move them to a $5/month sports tier to make up some of that money?

This pretty sums up the Comcast/Big Ten Network debate as well. As much as I hate to do it, like the Squiddi Man, I also side with Comcast on this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Actually, before the season, it was looking like the Giants would be WAY out of the playoff picture by then.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Some pretty big games in there that most people will not get to see.

If you are in the local market, you will still be able to see the game on local channels. If you aren't in the local market, you won't be able to see it which would be no different than if you were in a market where your local team didn't play.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
If you are in the local market, you will still be able to see the game on local channels. If you aren't in the local market, you won't be able to see it which would be no different than if you were in a market where your local team didn't play.

I don't think that last part is right. Aren't most of these games Thursday night or Saturday games? Typically those games were broadcast nationally.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't think that last part is right. Aren't most of these games Thursday night or Saturday games? Typically those games were broadcast nationally.

they are only thurs or saturday because they are on nfl network. otherwise they wouldn't be broadcast nationally necessarily

pats/giants stink for the legions of pats fans across the country that want to enjoy the perfect season.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
they are only thurs or saturday because they are on nfl network. otherwise they wouldn't be broadcast nationally necessarily

pats/giants stink for the legions of pats fans across the country that want to enjoy the perfect season.

I disagree.

Didn't ESPN used to do Thursday night NFL games after the college season was done? And I know there were typically quite a few post-college Saturday NFL tilts.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Actually, before the season, it was looking like the Giants would be WAY out of the playoff picture by then.

Before the season, the Giants looked like they would be in the same position as last year, fighting for a wildcard spot. It was 2 weeks into the season that they looked like they were on the clock.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

If you're considered the local market, you'll still see the game on a local station.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I was talking strictly from a standpoint of local vs national. Not being able to see this game is no different than being in San Francisco and not being able to see the Redskins play. People in those situations accept the fact they need to go to a sports bar or get the NFL ticket to watch the game. But, have it in a evening spot were it isn't viewable and people scream holy hell.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

FYI, Time Warner Cable currently has on the table with NFLN to provide the games via pay-per-view. With all the money made going to the NFLN. We are waiting for their response.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I was talking strictly from a standpoint of local vs national. Not being able to see this game is no different than being in San Francisco and not being able to see the Redskins play. People in those situations accept the fact they need to go to a sports bar or get the NFL ticket to watch the game. But, have it in a evening spot were it isn't viewable and people scream holy hell.

Thursday night and Saturday night games used to be aired on ESPN. They didn't move these games from Sunday afternoon to these timeslots, they moved the channel they get aired on (to one that far fewer people have).
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
FYI, Time Warner Cable currently has on the table with NFLN to provide the games via pay-per-view. With all the money made going to the NFLN. We are waiting for their response.

The number of people who would probably buy random PPV games x the amount they could charge would be a fraction of what they could get for the extra fees of being on whatever tier they want to be on in every household 12 months a year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Thursday night and Saturday night games used to be aired on ESPN. They didn't move these games from Sunday afternoon to these timeslots, they moved the channel they get aired on (to one that far fewer people have).

Care to refresh my memory on these Thursday night games? Outside of Thanksgiving and a couple season openers recently, I don't remember any. And even in the case of Thanksgiving, they did exactly what you said -- took one game from Sunday and put it on NFLN at night, leaving the Packers/Lions games on the networks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I seem to recall Thursday Night games as well. Usually just in the month of December and they wouldn't have Sunday Night games as a trade off.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Care to refresh my memory on these Thursday night games? Outside of Thanksgiving and a couple season openers recently, I don't remember any. And even in the case of Thanksgiving, they did exactly what you said -- took one game from Sunday and put it on NFLN at night, leaving the Packers/Lions games on the networks.

After Thanksgiving, ESPN would air a Thursday night game every week. This may have been before the Sunday Night - MNF switch that happened before last season, though, and ESPN might have moved their Sunday game to Thursday as ISiddiqui said. And I could have sworn I have seen NFL games aired on ESPN on Saturday nights after the college season was over, but my old brain might just not be remembering correctly.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The number of people who would probably buy random PPV games x the amount they could charge would be a fraction of what they could get for the extra fees of being on whatever tier they want to be on in every household 12 months a year.
This isn't being done as a solution. It's being done as a good faith proposal so fans of the NFL don't miss out on games since the NFL wants to charge every cable customer 10 bucks a year to get the NFLN even if they never watch it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #23
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

HAHA, the funny part is that you could probably get NFLN for the whole month at a cheaper price than a few of the PPV games.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FYI:

Dish Network Downgrades NFL Network

Dish Network Moves NFL Network from Top 100 Package to Top 200, Cutting Its Reach to 31M

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/20/2008 9:13:00 PM

NFL Network was stripped of another 4 million subscribers after Dish Network downgraded the National Football League-owned cable channel.

The satellite-TV service moved NFL Network from its America’s Top 100 package to the America’s Top 200 package, leaving its reach at around 31 million.

“We are aware of Dish's unfortunate decision, which is not in the best interest of its many subscribers who are football fans, especially this week, with NFL Network's exclusive coverage of the scouting combine featuring incoming college players from all over the country,” an NFL spokesperson said in a statement.

The move continues the NFL’s ongoing uphill battle for carriage, as its eight-game package of regular-season games has yet to help it increase penetration.

The league may not have done itself any favors from a leverage standpoint in the final week of the 2007 regular season, when it made the New England Patriots-New York Giants game available on both CBS and NBC.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FYI:

Dish Network Downgrades NFL Network

Dish Network Moves NFL Network from Top 100 Package to Top 200, Cutting Its Reach to 31M

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/20/2008 9:13:00 PM

NFL Network was stripped of another 4 million subscribers after Dish Network downgraded the National Football League-owned cable channel.

The satellite-TV service moved NFL Network from its America’s Top 100 package to the America’s Top 200 package, leaving its reach at around 31 million.

“We are aware of Dish's unfortunate decision, which is not in the best interest of its many subscribers who are football fans, especially this week, with NFL Network's exclusive coverage of the scouting combine featuring incoming college players from all over the country,” an NFL spokesperson said in a statement.

The move continues the NFL’s ongoing uphill battle for carriage, as its eight-game package of regular-season games has yet to help it increase penetration.

The league may not have done itself any favors from a leverage standpoint in the final week of the 2007 regular season, when it made the New England Patriots-New York Giants game available on both CBS and NBC.

I haven't missed the NFL Network at all since it moved to the sports package. I reckon I will miss it on Draft Day, but that's about it.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I watch it regularly now that I have my beloved DirecTV back. And I get the Big 10 network too. Woot!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote