Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Klinglerware
College Starter

Using VNC to play Fast Break College Basketball?

I originally posted this on the FOFC-FBCB board, btw...

Have any of you tried to access FBCB remotely via VNC?

I wanted a way to open up FBCB away from my home computer. Remote Desktop was my application of choice, but when I tried it, I got a ViaTech pop up message saying "application not licensed for remote access" or something to that effect.

Okay, fair enough. But, in order to exhaust the possibilities, I am now thinking about trying it with VNC. Before I go through the pain of setting VNC up, I was wondering if I will run into the same licensing issue that I did with remote desktop.

I'm not looking for a work around or a hack or anything; if it's not going to work because of a licensing issue, that's fine with me. I'm happy with how remote desktop is working out for me in general, and would rather not set up VNC if it's not really going to add anything.

Thanks in advance!

Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I regularly access my computer remotely by using LogMeIn (www.logmein.com), but I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. You might want to check it out, though.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Router Help

Right-click on remote desktop and go to properties. Add /console to the end of the target line so it looks like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console

Not a guarantee fix, but it works with some programs.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hadn't tried VNC, but it should work since you accessing the actual desktop of the remote machine, not starting up a second session like you are with RDP.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Router Help

Guess I didn't really answer the question, but to confirm, yes VNC should work fine. Just not as nice as RDP.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have been living under a rock again and don't know what VNC but I am very heartened by the shout out to my favorite game, FBCB. I had been reading some comments lately about there being no college basketball sims (or wanting a new one), when a perfectly good one is still available.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

All FBCB needs is some tweaks (more underclassmen declaring, no high schoolers declaring, stronger freshmen, reduce effectiveness of high steal rating guys, update conference allignments) and minor additions (transfers), and honestly it'd be as perfect as a text sim can be.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

hog, we did have a thread a couple of years ago that I and a few others (like RPI-Fan and some of the FOFC_FBCB boys) detailed a number of tweaks/changes we would like to see. The concensus even then that it was already a near-perfect game that could use a tune-up (as you said). Last I have heard that Brian joined a publisher and was going to work on updating the pro game first but I have not kept up with any news since then.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
hog, we did have a thread a couple of years ago that I and a few others (like RPI-Fan and some of the FOFC_FBCB boys) detailed a number of tweaks/changes we would like to see. The concensus even then that it was already a near-perfect game that could use a tune-up (as you said). Last I have heard that Brian joined a publisher and was going to work on updating the pro game first but I have not kept up with any news since then.

Yeah, Brian is with Greydog now. I've been eagerly awaiting his next pro game but there hasn't been an update to it in months and Brian hasn't even visited the message boards there since like October I think it was, so it looks like progress has halted once again. I'd be surprised if it surfaces at all, but hopefully it does as Brian has said he'll look at updating the College game when that's done.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, Brian is with Greydog now. I've been eagerly awaiting his next pro game but there hasn't been an update to it in months and Brian hasn't even visited the message boards there since like October I think it was, so it looks like progress has halted once again. I'd be surprised if it surfaces at all, but hopefully it does as Brian has said he'll look at updating the College game when that's done.

Yeah, unfortunately I'd be pretty surprised if Brian puts out any more games. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It's just so sad he's obviously having troubles, because he is one freaking hell of a game designer.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Who would I get my old FBCB code back from? E-license?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

VNC works fine with FOF so it should be fine with FBCB as you get the same message while trying to run FOF using Remote Desktop.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Who would I get my old FBCB code back from? E-license?

Yup, send a mail to E-License.

Then join the FOFC FBCB league.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yup, send a mail to E-License.

Then join the FOFC FBCB league.

I have a -terrible- track record with anything multi-player. I start off really fired up and get excited about it, etc... and then I disappear, because I like to go at my own pace.

But thanks for the e-license confirmation. I'll have to send them an email then or see if I can find it in my gmail somewhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #15
Klinglerware
College Starter

Thanks for all your help on this.

I did try adding /console to the remote desktop. While it didn't solve the FBCB problem, it did fix the problem of my remote session only being in 8-bit graphics. So it did help with something!

I will give VNC and logmein a look. I've read that VNC is not as secure, while logmein can be pretty slow (I am remoting in using my Nokia Internet Tablet, so I don't have the raw processing power of a full-fledged laptop/desktop), which is why remote desktop would have been my preferred option...

Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I use VNC regularly to get at my home PCs while at work and I have played FBCB through the VNC connection. It should work very well for you.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Klinglerware
College Starter

So I installed VNC and everything works beautifully. My fears about slow speed affecting usability were unfounded--I did not notice much of a lag (though admittedly, I am probably not running anything resource intensive).

Thanks to all for contributing to my new emphasis on sloth. Instead of wasting my time playing text games on my computer, I can now waste my time playing them on my n800, without even getting out of bed!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

What's the file that has the team and conference prestiges, etc in it?

Because I have an idea for an FBCB dynasty I want to do, but in case I feel like going back to the default, I'd like to be able to do that.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
What's the file that has the team and conference prestiges, etc in it?

Because I have an idea for an FBCB dynasty I want to do, but in case I feel like going back to the default, I'd like to be able to do that.

Brian gave me a 1.12b version that sets all the conferences back to default.