Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #401
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../index.html?hp

What a dickhead. I'm glad he's out.

It certainly does illuminate his position on working towards bipartisan solutions if he were to have become Commander in Chief.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #402
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cronin: Is it perhaps like TX where there is a primary for a portion of the delegates, but also a caucus for the majority of delegates?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #403
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Cronin: Is it perhaps like TX where there is a primary for a portion of the delegates, but also a caucus for the majority of delegates?

I don't know. This is what I know: One of the polling places was my local town hall, which is right across the street. The signage said "Democratic Caucus". The local papers are all describing the event as a caucus, and the votes that are still being counted are for a caucus.

I don't know why its called a caucus, but it is.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #404
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
It certainly does illuminate his position on working towards bipartisan solutions if he were to have become Commander in Chief.

Do YOU favor a bipartisan solution?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #405
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My thought is, if they're that dangerous, they aren't going to be carrying out terror plots while locked away. I don't have a problem with locking folks up, but there should be protections for the innocent so that we aren't taking away ten years of a man's life just because Joe Schmoe with the Feds is angling for a promotion.

Yep. Besides, if they're that dangerous, then the government should have no problem securing their convictions in a normal court of law (or even in front of a regular military tribunal).

Quote:
Somebody who believes in "if you're in there you must have done something wrong" over "innocent until proven guilty" is not a man (or woman) I want running the country in the first place.

Yep. Goes rather counter to the Constitution, in my mind.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #406
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here's the skinny on New Mexico's process (from electoral-vote.com):

Quote:
Yesterday, a Democratic precinct chair from Colorado reported about being curious as to why Obama did so well in the Colorado caucuses (including hers) but only so-so in the nearby New Mexico caucuses. Some investigation showed that the New Mexico caucuses were in reality primaries: people came in, voted, and went home. There was none of the open discussion of the candidates that characterizes the caucus process as we have described here earlier this year. This tends to confirm the theory that Obama does better when there are small groups discussing the candidates where his cadre of enthusiastic supporters can try to convince other voters that he is the best person for the job. If the caucuses in Washington and Nebraska on Saturday are true caucuses, he will probably also do well there. Louisiana has a primary, but the state still has many black voters, so he is likely to do well there, too. Next Tuesday we are back to primaries, with few recent polls there.

So, it sounds like it is essentially a caucus in-name only.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote