Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator

Since I've been pointed to some good games by this forum, I thought I'd let people in on a game that's not so well-known.

From the Underdogs description: Set foreign, economic, and military policies to either promote the peace or instigate regional wars-- it's your call. The game has a decent AI, many realistic options (including nuclear weapons program), and good replay value.

The replay value is very good in fact. I highly recommend people give it a try. Couple of words of warning though, it's a DOS game, and the initial loadup screen takes a little bit. After that, it's smooth sailing.

JAG

Oops, forgot the link. http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=225

Last edited by JAG : 06-26-2003 at 06:38 PM.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I was, sadly, unable to ever get this very interesting sounding game to work.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

What operating system do you use? I had some trouble with Win98SE in that I had to open a DOS window, do the cd .. cd conflict etc... commands to get it to work (otherwise I got a Insert Disk 2 Error). If you have XP, I think they have an article on their website with how to run DOS games from XP.

It's a very simple game, but still quite fun. Beware Egypt!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have had this game forever. I played the hell out of it for a while. A fairly simple action-reaction game with excellent replayability. I havn't played it since I upgraded a while ago. The last system that I played it on was a pII 350.

You do need to watch out for Egypt, and Syria too. Jordan and Lebanon can be pushovers, and it is always fun destabilizing Iraq and Iran while both of them are in the middle of a war. Good Stuff.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
sianews
Mascot

That game is great, I wish there would be a new version, this one is far to easy.

In my latest game Syria attacked Iraq, but me and Iran forged alliances with Iraq and Syria was repealed. Soonthereafter, Fundamentalists riot in Syria and Jordan and with a little help from me the Northern border was secure. Lebanon had feel earlier to fundamentalists.

Focus then turned to Egypt who I signed a military pact with. I speed though 2 years with no problems and amassed 24000 million and 6 new army divisions. I sent them all to the Egyptian border as I instigated unrest, attacked their nuclear reactor, and finally strated making assassination attempt. The invasion was in it's 6th month when the Egyptions disposed the government giving me total victory with a score of 530 .
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:13 AM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

I used to play this game all the time back when it was new. There are sooo many ways to lose! The one negative is that is pretty highly luck based depending on your starting configuration.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-27-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:17 AM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

That's funny, I always liked the fact that the start of the game was random. Even if you know the game's a lost cause from the start (Egypt and Syria both gunning for you), it's still kinda fun to see how long you can hold out, maybe get someone to invade Syria while they war with you, etc...

And Sianews, 520? Wow, that's probably the highest score I've seen. I usually would not increase the size of my army so I could keep good relations with the US, but maybe that's not the way to go to get the highest score.