Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #351
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
There's no stopping the ninja timeout now.

You would have to pass a rule saying that the defense can't call a timeout with fewer than 5 seconds on the play clock if the offense is in kick formation. And I don't like rules that are that convoluted.

That's why I'm hoping that a kicker misses the first and makes the second soon.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #352
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Finally, I don't feel as strongly about the "ninja timeout" as many people do, but I have to admit that I'm getting sick of it. It was funny when Shanahan did it, but that's because it was Shanahan vs. the Raiders. Now it's just getting old. I don't know how you can change the rule at this point unless you completely take the ability to call timeouts away from the coach. Even then, the coach will just have one of the defensive players do it. Can you imagine that? Just pull one of the 11 guys over near the sideline and have him stand next to the official and call timeout. The coach can yell "Go!" and then the player would call it. There's no stopping the ninja timeout now.

The easiest way to "prevent" this is to just line up and kick the ball, not run the play clock all the way down which I know happened the first few times we've seen it this year, but I wasn't paying enough attention tonight to see when it was snapped.

Personally, I have no problem with it. Like it was said, the first time that the timeout results in a missed FG becoming made the second time around, it'll all be worth it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #353
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
dola,

I like to see how this turns out in "NFL Week 5 in Pictures".

yea i want to see the pic of Jerry Jones and Michael Irvin having seizures in the luxury box
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #354
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That was an amazing finish. I really feel bad for Trent Edwards. I mean, yes, he threw an interception that cost his team some points, but he watched the other QB turn the ball over six times, and that other guy ends up as the winner. That's got to hurt for him.

The Buffalo offense wasn't good, but the Bills were just so soft on defense and the end of the game. They didn't even bother defending the sidelines. Realize that the Cowboys only had to use two timeouts to stop the clock. The third one got used when they were setting up the two-point conversion. How does a defense allow an 80-yard drive and a 23-yard drive in less than four minutes and only force them to use two timeouts? It's disgraceful.

One thing about the offense they kept (and have been all year) using the same running plays with Lynch (and on the same downs) and the same passing plays. I don't think they took one shot downfield all night long (with the speed in Evans and Parrish, you have that ability). I do think the defense got worn down (All but one possession had the Bills D right back on the field).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #355
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
yea i want to see the pic of Jerry Jones and Michael Irvin having seizures in the luxury box

And a senile Ralph Wilson clapping in the Bills box thinking THEY won.

That was a hell of an entertaining football game.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #356
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
You would have to pass a rule saying that the defense can't call a timeout with fewer than 5 seconds on the play clock if the offense is in kick formation. And I don't like rules that are that convoluted.

That's why I'm hoping that a kicker misses the first and makes the second soon.
Yeah, I wouldn't like a rule like that, either. In a perfect world, being in a kick formation shouldn't change what the defense can do with a timeout. I can understand the rule about not lining up a guy over the center on a kick, because that's a safety issue. As far as timeouts, though, that kind of rule wouldn't make me happy.

People could dream up "what if" situations all day, but here's one: What if the defense realizes somehow that they only have ten men on the field to defend a field goal, and they don't happen to notice until the play clock hits :05? Sure, it's their fault for not getting their personnel straight, but it's a "more legitimate" reason (for lack of a better term) to call a timeout, and a rule change could handcuff them.

So, yeah, I'm basically with you on what needs to happen. Some guy's gotta miss the first and make the second. That's the only way to get these timeouts to stop without putting in some rule change that twists the game just to avoid an annoyance. Ultimately, that's all it is. It's an annoyance. I'm not sure that special rules need to go into the books just to get rid of something that simply annoys people.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #357
JeeberD
General Manager

With his 300+ yards tonight, Romo just set a Cowboys single season record with his fourth 300 yard game of the year...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #358
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Damnit. This is the first time I have truly missed having ESPN. I would love to watch a Dallas meltdown.

Don't worry too much...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #359
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I think the game ball for Dallas goes to the clock operator. That onside kick took the longest 2 seconds in history.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #360
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
With his 300+ yards tonight, Romo just set a Cowboys single season record with his fourth 300 yard game of the year...

Jeebs, do you think Romo will still get a lot of heat for his 5 turnovers in the media down in DFW?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #361
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, good thing we had that hometown clock operator going for us...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #362
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Jeebs, do you think Romo will still get a lot of heat for his 5 turnovers in the media down in DFW?

I don't know that he'll get heat. He's show in the previous four games that he's a much better than that. Nobody is going to be calling for Brad Johnson to start or anything. But what will be brought up is his implosion at the end of last year, and how he hasn't completely worked those kinks out yet...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #363
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I don't know that he'll get heat. He's show in the previous four games that he's a much better than that. Nobody is going to be calling for Brad Johnson to start or anything. But what will be brought up is his implosion at the end of last year, and how he hasn't completely worked those kinks out yet...

Isn't he seeking a new contract? $10-$12 million per year?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #364
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, he's still going after a new contract. The first three weeks put money in Tony's pocket, this week put some of that back in Jerry's pocket. It's a pretty civil situation, from what I understand, and they probably won't announce anything until the season is over...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, I only wish that Denny Green was the Bills coach right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #366
SFL Cat
College Starter

Well...that was a surprise. I got so disgusted with all those turnovers by the Cowboys, I stopped watching and went to bed. Looks like I missed a hell of a finish.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 10-09-2007 at 06:17 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #367
SFL Cat
College Starter

HOLEEE

Just watched the hilights on nfl.com. That WAS a hell of a finish. Cowboys must be a team of destiny this season...no way they should have won that game.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 10-09-2007 at 05:57 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #368
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love in the post game on field interview Romo all but said they didn't deserve to win.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #369
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

What changed was that it used to require a player on the field to call a timeout, now they let coaches call them. This allows the coach to whisper the timeout to the ref.

It has been proposed that they go back to requiring a player on the field to call all timeouts to prevent the ninja-stealth timeout.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #370
RawIsDan
High School JV

Romo had a bad game. Gotta remember he still hasn't started a full season, and will have nights like this. Crazy, crazy game.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #371
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
What changed was that it used to require a player on the field to call a timeout, now they let coaches call them. This allows the coach to whisper the timeout to the ref.

It has been proposed that they go back to requiring a player on the field to call all timeouts to prevent the ninja-stealth timeout.
I don't think changing the rule back will change the timeouts, though. A coach will just teach a couple of his special teamers to call the timeout at just the right moment. A guy like Mike Shanahan might even park one of his special team players right next to the sideline by an official. I mean, yeah, there'll only be 10 men to try to defend the kick, but everyone will know that the timeout is coming anyway. They just won't know exactly when.

Are the officials required to grant timeouts if they're called before the snap, or is it like baseball where an umpire can deny the call for time? I'm not suggesting that the officials make judgment calls here, but I would laugh my ass off if a coach or player tried to call the ninja timeout, and then the official would refuse to blow the whistle. Seriously, I'd laugh bigtime.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #372
Galaxy
Coordinator

What were your guys thoughts on Edwards' performance? Beside a few mistakes (the big one is the INT inside the 10; which the coaches should of ran and go for the 3 to put the Bills up by 2 possessions late in the game instead of putting a rookie QB in that position)?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #373
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think changing the rule back will change the timeouts, though. A coach will just teach a couple of his special teamers to call the timeout at just the right moment. A guy like Mike Shanahan might even park one of his special team players right next to the sideline by an official. I mean, yeah, there'll only be 10 men to try to defend the kick, but everyone will know that the timeout is coming anyway. They just won't know exactly when.

Are the officials required to grant timeouts if they're called before the snap, or is it like baseball where an umpire can deny the call for time? I'm not suggesting that the officials make judgment calls here, but I would laugh my ass off if a coach or player tried to call the ninja timeout, and then the official would refuse to blow the whistle. Seriously, I'd laugh bigtime.

Part of the issue / complaint is that no one on the kicking team sees the coach whispering the timeout, while you can see a player call it (or see a player standing way over next to the official). It's the stealth aspect of this that has people upset, not the calling of one at the last second which had been going on for a long time.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #374
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Part of the issue / complaint is that no one on the kicking team sees the coach whispering the timeout, while you can see a player call it (or see a player standing way over next to the official). It's the stealth aspect of this that has people upset, not the calling of one at the last second which had been going on for a long time.
Is that what it is? I know that teams have iced kickers for ages, but I don't recall seeing players calling timeout at the instant before the ball is snapped. The way I remember it - and I could be wrong - is that defense would wait until the offense lined up and got set, then they'd call the timeout. Now, apparently the coaches are seeing something that alerts them to the exact moment that the snap is going to happen, so they can call timeout more precisely. A coach could teach the players to look for those signs. I thought people's issue was the timing of it, not necessarily that the timeout call was coming from the sideline, but I see now.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #375
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Is that what it is? I know that teams have iced kickers for ages, but I don't recall seeing players calling timeout at the instant before the ball is snapped. The way I remember it - and I could be wrong - is that defense would wait until the offense lined up and got set, then they'd call the timeout. Now, apparently the coaches are seeing something that alerts them to the exact moment that the snap is going to happen, so they can call timeout more precisely. A coach could teach the players to look for those signs. I thought people's issue was the timing of it, not necessarily that the timeout call was coming from the sideline, but I see now.

I think it is more of about the timing than where it comes from. I wonder where this will lead to. Phantom timeout on at the last second on fourth and goal where the offense needs a TD?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #376
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
What were your guys thoughts on Edwards' performance? Beside a few mistakes (the big one is the INT inside the 10; which the coaches should of ran and go for the 3 to put the Bills up by 2 possessions late in the game instead of putting a rookie QB in that position)?

I liked the way Edwards played with what the offense they gave. I would even go so far as saying that you don't put most QB's in that position not just a rookie.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #377
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

In the past with a player calling it, the kicker would see the timeout, know the kick wouldn't count, and complete the motion and kick mostly to avoid injury. Now, with the coach calling it, the kicker doesn't realise the timeout was called until he and the holder have been celebrating the made kick for a few seconds. That's where the issue is coming in, the players don't know the timeout was called until after the play is complete.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #378
miami_fan
Coordinator

Leinart to miss rest of season with broken collarbone

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3056164

Quote:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart was placed on injured reserve Tuesday, ending his second NFL season after just five games.

He was placed on injured reserve Tuesday, two days after his injury during a victory over the St. Louis Rams. Backup quarterback Kurt Warner, who has seen steady action this season, replaced Leinart before halftime and finished the game.

The Cardinals signed Tim Rattay as a backup for Warner. The eight-year veteran played in four games last year for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and completed 61 of 101 passes. He played for the San Francisco 49ers for six years before being traded to the Bucs.

Leinart fractured his left collarbone while getting sacked and immediately left the game. He spent the second half on the sidelines.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt had been using Warner in a platoon situation with Leinart, using the veteran during no-huddle situations. Leinart, the USC standout and Heisman Trophy winner who was the team's first-round pick in 2006, hasn't commented about his injury.

Arizona also signed guard Keydrick Vincent on Tuesday and released center Chukky Okobi.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #379
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched the Cowboys-Bills game on replay last night... wow. I really feel for the Bills. That 1st Q was amazing, and they deserved the win just after that. Still, Dallas' rookie kicker breaking his personal best distance in both the college and pro ranks not once, but TWICE, was an impressive finish.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #380
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

He made 2 mistakes (3 if you include the recovered fumble) in the 4th Q, but was pretty much flawless outside of that. I'd never heard of the guy prior to last night's game and if the commentators hadn't told me he was a rookie I never would've guessed.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #381
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
He made 2 mistakes (3 if you include the recovered fumble) in the 4th Q, but was pretty much flawless outside of that. I'd never heard of the guy prior to last night's game and if the commentators hadn't told me he was a rookie I never would've guessed.

He went 22-28 last week, over 200 yards (I believe 243), 1 touchdown and no picks in his first ever game. As a rookie (second game starting), he is bound to make some mistakes. I wasn't happen with the play-call in that situation. I would of kept the ball on the ground, and make it at least a 11 point game.

A small but vocal group of Bills' fans were complaining about his checkout passes. However, if no one is open, isn't that what a good quarterback does? I mean, the 4 or 5 yard pass gains may not be the 50-yard bombs, but it moves the chains, keeps your defense off the field (and your competitors on). Losman has the physical tools, but he's a lot like Grossman in his mental makeup. He'll force plays, hands on to the ball too long, and doesn't seem poised. Plus, Edwards has the leadership abilities (from his practices, ect.) that Losman doesn't seem to have.

One problem with the Bills offense I have is the lack of willingness of even to try to throw deep. Plus, they seem to run the same running plays with Lynch over and over.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-09-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #382
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Not to nit pick here, but Romo was at fault for 6 turnovers in the game, 5 interceptions (2 for TDs) and a fumble lost.

If he doesn't get thrashed a bit for that performance then I don't think the folks in Dallas are doing their part to motivate the boy. Granted he's still in his first full season, but damn SIX?? to a Bills defense that until that game had been a joke?

I give Romo credit for being a decent QB, but that performance was pathetic.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #383
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Not to nit pick here, but Romo was at fault for 6 turnovers in the game, 5 interceptions (2 for TDs) and a fumble lost.

If he doesn't get thrashed a bit for that performance then I don't think the folks in Dallas are doing their part to motivate the boy. Granted he's still in his first full season, but damn SIX?? to a Bills defense that until that game had been a joke?

I give Romo credit for being a decent QB, but that performance was pathetic.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #384
Radii
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3056695

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Vinny Testaverde isn't finished yet -- even at age 43.

The Carolina Panthers, desperate for a backup quarterback with Jake Delhomme out for the season, signed Testaverde to a one-year deal on Wednesday.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #385
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nice. Julio Franco II.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure the word "desperate" is adequate to the situation.
I'm also not sure what word would be better, but there's got to be something that's like "desperate-squared".
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #387
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure the word "desperate" is adequate to the situation.
I'm also not sure what word would be better, but there's got to be something that's like "desperate-squared".

Why not "cubed"? Or we could get into factorials. "Desperate!"

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not really worth it's own thread, and too early to start Week 6, but good enough that I wanted to share.

Current headline link on the index page of the Atlanta Journal-Consitution.

Falcons' Weiner out

Insert your own, umm, "weiner" joke here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-10-2007 at 12:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #389
Galaxy
Coordinator

Still no match for the Arkansas Nutt, Dick and Johnson headlines from last year.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #390
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
That line is ramesque.