Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #101
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Alright, Antmeister and are part of the Mountain West... so are you joining or what?
Errrr, isn't it too late now?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #102
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Errrr, isn't it too late now?

Nope. C'mon man, it'll be fun. Especially if we end up playing against each other (ahem... remember, Mountain West).

What, afraid of losing agaist a girl?
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #103
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Nope. C'mon man, it'll be fun. Especially if we end up playing against each other (ahem... remember, Mountain West).

What, afraid of losing agaist a girl?

I am going to steal her recruits anyway, so it is safe to join Pumpy.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #104
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
I am going to steal her recruits anyway, so it is safe to join Pumpy.
And I'm going to steal her heart...

wait what
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #105
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
And I'm going to steal her heart...

wait what

Oh hell. Don't you make me bring down the "Choclate Rain" Pumpus Tudorus!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta tell you, the game itself is pretty good (even if I seem to suck at it).

But the increasingly frequent crashes during recruiting as it seizes 99% of processing & locks up everything when you're making an offer is about to kill it for me.

I don't have the patience to save between every fucking round since the saves can be so damned slow and losing 4 hours worth of recruiting work is enough to piss me off.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #107
st.cronin
General Manager

Hmm, since the latest patch I don't think I've had a single crash at any point in the game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #108
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
losing 4 hours worth of recruiting work

well I know why I suck which is my 5 minutes worth of recruiting work....why do you suck at it?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-21-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
well I know why I suck which is my 5 minutes worth of recruiting work....why do you suck at it?

My recruiting is actually getting better & better, at least in terms of the quality of players I'm attracting. I just haven't yet managed to convert it into on-field success. Seems to be a play-calling issue, regardless of what method I've tried so far I can't do much offensively at all.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #110
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Gotta tell you, the game itself is pretty good (even if I seem to suck at it).

But the increasingly frequent crashes during recruiting as it seizes 99% of processing & locks up everything when you're making an offer is about to kill it for me.

I don't have the patience to save between every fucking round since the saves can be so damned slow and losing 4 hours worth of recruiting work is enough to piss me off.
There were some people that had this a while back and I added some hotkeys that sometimes fix it. If you get in a situation where it appears to "lock up" on the question, press the 'N' key.

Also, is it happening when recruiting from the player card or recruit sort screen?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
There were some people that had this a while back and I added some hotkeys that sometimes fix it. If you get in a situation where it appears to "lock up" on the question, press the 'N' key.

Also, is it happening when recruiting from the player card or recruit sort screen?

Thanks Arlie, for trying to help. It was probably at least a little crude of me to bitch without emailing you, but, dammit, I had literally just gotten the best recruiting week of my six seasons (4 2-star committments, most ever for even a full season) and then I locked/crashed. I didn't know whether to scream or cry or both. Heck, I still don't know which to do since in the re-do I've watched as at least two of those signed elsewhere.

The lockup was on one of the "Yes/No" screens, the "are you sure" question for removing an offer from a player. I'm pretty sure that each of my freezes during recruiting have occurred during that action or during the similar "yes/no" for clearing an action. I've also had a couple during Save Game attempts and at least one when trying to look at a different Team Info.

I looked in the tech forum earlier today (before posting) but must have somehow overlooked the hot key tip. Thanks for passing it on though.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, is there a known scenario where the box score you get for your game & the game you just completed bear no resemblence to each other?
And that the box score appears to have been for an extra game?

Maybe that doesn't make sense, let me try explaining it.

My poor MTSU Blue Raiders finally manage to play an in-state opponent close - in this case losing to Vandy by less than double digits. Game over, the rest of the week sims out, I get interrupted for a little while so when I come back to the computer I want to look at the box score. What I see is a 44-14 loss, which also appears in the Team Info screen as the final of the last game listed. I shut the game down without saving (although it's quite possible that I instinctively saved after the end of the week, I simply can't say for sure). I reopen the game & load the season, sure enough, still a 30 point loss ... but I notice my record is 5-8 even though I only played 12 games.

Umm ... WTF?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #113
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks like a double sim of some sort. I'm guessing that while the record shows one more game, your player stats show 12? Are you using the latest version (1.52)? Either way, I haven't seen this one. Did you sim the game fully through or exit in the final minutes of the sim? I'll try and recreate it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #114
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I went ahead and got this this morning before I got on the truck for the next two weeks. Getting loaded right now and going to fire it up for the first time.

I never really considered this, but since a new version won't be out this year I figured why not..... Also, I still have MacroGuru in my mind saying how much fun he had with it back in November when we were working together. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #115
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- my trailer is getting loaded, not me.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #116
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm seriously considering trying this out this week to see if I want to buy it before I head out on vacation. I've got that football bug starting up, but I'm not dragging my PS2 all over Florida.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Looks like a double sim of some sort. I'm guessing that while the record shows one more game, your player stats show 12? Are you using the latest version (1.52)? Either way, I haven't seen this one. Did you sim the game fully through or exit in the final minutes of the sim? I'll try and recreate it.

Simmed fully through AFAIK. Heck, I didn't even know there was a way to exit out in the final minutes.

Player stats do indeed show 12 total, but even that is a little weird.
-- The "game log" view of the player card does not show any results vs Vandy from either game (maybe the last game is always missing? I never noticed one way or the other).
-- The html view of the player (the one you get if you click their name from the team stats screen) shows the stats of the now missing/replaced/ duplicated game, the one for which there's apparently no box score.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #118
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I re-loaded the game to give it another try, and it has definitely improved a lot. It's a really neat game now, the checklists make everything easy to navigate and I really like the play-by-play, it makes it very interesting to "watch" the games.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I re-loaded the game to give it another try, and it has definitely improved a lot. It's a really neat game now, the checklists make everything easy to navigate and I really like the play-by-play, it makes it very interesting to "watch" the games.

gstelmack did write a utility that takes the PbP and allows you to 'watch' the game. Quite a few folks in the FOFC-BBCF use it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #120
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Simmed fully through AFAIK. Heck, I didn't even know there was a way to exit out in the final minutes.

Player stats do indeed show 12 total, but even that is a little weird.
-- The "game log" view of the player card does not show any results vs Vandy from either game (maybe the last game is always missing? I never noticed one way or the other).
-- The html view of the player (the one you get if you click their name from the team stats screen) shows the stats of the now missing/replaced/ duplicated game, the one for which there's apparently no box score.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. It looks like the game tried to sim the game a second time and errored out when storing info in the DB (duplicate keys). I've set it up not to crash in this instance, but it does mess up the game log/box score. I'm looking into it to see how this happens.

Thanks for the info and help on this.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #121
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I need to reinstall and update BBCF. Had it on my old laptop, never put it over on this new one and I got a itch.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #122
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaargh. My bbcf froze up while saving and now it won't reload that saved-game. just starts to load and then quits right away.

and I had BC movin on up in the world!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #123
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
aaargh. My bbcf froze up while saving and now it won't reload that saved-game. just starts to load and then quits right away.

and I had BC movin on up in the world!

Have you tried copying the save file in the "backup" folder to try to restore the game? (as described over on their forum) Saved my ass a few nights ago when I had the same sort of problem, figured I at least ought to make sure you knew about that.

The freeze-while-saving is one of the biggest aggravations I've run into with the game to this point. Minimum it happens to me at least every couple of days, although usually it's just lost work and not the version of the problem that requires the backup copy to restore it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #124
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you tried copying the save file in the "backup" folder to try to restore the game? (as described over on their forum) Saved my ass a few nights ago when I had the same sort of problem, figured I at least ought to make sure you knew about that.

The freeze-while-saving is one of the biggest aggravations I've run into with the game to this point. Minimum it happens to me at least every couple of days, although usually it's just lost work and not the version of the problem that requires the backup copy to restore it.

you're a beautiful beautufil man mr. JiMGA. I need to keep going with this team. Brought in a #6 nationally ranked recruiting class last year that led me to a 10-1 season, and in this recruiting class I just landed 2 5-star OLB's to shore up my defense already.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
you're a beautiful beautufil man mr. JiMGA. I need to keep going with this team. Brought in a #6 nationally ranked recruiting class last year that led me to a 10-1 season, and in this recruiting class I just landed 2 5-star OLB's to shore up my defense already.

I'm just lucky that I happened to remember reading something about that over there when I first bought the game, otherwise I would have lost my (far less successful but still kind of attached to) 15 season career at MTSU. Just search around over there a bit & you ought to be able to turn up the thread that explains what to do.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-12-2007 at 12:15 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #126
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

already done. And the results of the recruiting season:

The following recruits ended up coming to Boston College (#2 recruiting class in the country)

DT Robert Caldwell, 5-stars
Concord (Wilmington, DE)
National Rank: 52, Regional: 15, Position: 7

OLB Patrick Sanders, 5-stars
Watertown (Watertown, CT)
National Rank: 29, Regional: 9, Position: 3

OLB Frederick Ziegler, 5-stars
Minisink Valley (Slate Hill, NY)
National Rank: 36, Regional: 11, Position: 4

K Don Taylor, 5-stars
Southington (Southington, CT)
National Rank: 35, Regional: 10, Position: 3

OT Glenn Camacho, 4-stars
Rockhurst (Kansas City, MO)
National Rank: 103, Regional: 17, Position: 7

OG Jeffrey Smith, 4-stars
Gilman School (Baltimore, MD)
National Rank: 217, Regional: 38, Position: 5

RB David Lewis, 4-stars
Ft. Zumwalt West (O' Fallon, MO)
National Rank: 169, Regional: 32, Position: 19

WR Cameron Vaughan, 4-stars
Rainy River CC (MN), Proctorville, OH, HS - OH
National Rank: 128, Regional: 24, Position: 8

CB Jeremy Ratliff, 4-stars
Bishop McDevitt (Harrisbug, PA)
National Rank: 218, Regional: 39, Position: 19

DE Nathan Crockett, 4-stars
Salem (Salem, OH)
National Rank: 232, Regional: 48, Position: 14

CB George Lawrence, 4-stars
Trinity-Pawling School (Pawling, NY)
National Rank: 354, Regional: 72, Position: 30

FB Jose Edmond, 3-stars
Durant (Durant, OK)
National Rank: 362, Regional: 72, Position: 13

C Frank Johnson, 3-stars
Sherburne Earlville Central (Sherburne, NY)
National Rank: 503, Regional: 95, Position: 14

WR Billy White, 3-stars
Cherryvale (Cherryvale, KS)
National Rank: 188, Regional: 35, Position: 13

TE David Farley, 3-stars
Randolph Central (Randolph, NY)
National Rank: 344, Regional: 69, Position: 18

first 3 seasons: 11-1 (National Champion), 9-3 (Won Champs Sports Bowl, 11-1 (Won Rose Bowl)

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-12-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #127
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

DT, you should come over and join Cartman's BBCF league. BC is taken, but you can be a Big East power like Syracuse and play in the same league as Chief Rum and I (That is if/when Cartman approves Chief Rum's application!)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
DT, you should come over and join Cartman's BBCF league. BC is taken, but you can be a Big East power like Syracuse and play in the same league as Chief Rum and I (That is if/when Cartman approves Chief Rum's application!)

oooh. Maybe I should.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #129
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I have BC.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I have BC.

better be doin them justice!!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
better be doin them justice!!

He stole all of my highly sought after prospects during recruiting!

I think in the Atlantic area right now, BC is the only other one besides me heavily recruiting up there.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I asked this question over on Grey Dog's forum on Friday and everybody must be out for the weekend so I'll ask it here. Is there a time limit as far to how long I can try the demo?

I know you can only play the first season, but I'm more concerned about a real life kind of time limit, à la "3 days and you're out" that I experienced with TPG2 the first time around. I might be tempted to try this one out but since I've never played any college sports game before, and barely follow college football, it might take me some time to fully know if I'm gonna like it or not...

Thanks in advance.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 09-23-2007 at 09:04 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #133
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I asked this question over on Grey Dog's forum on Friday and everybody must be out for the weekend so I'll ask it here. Is there a time limit as far to how long I can try the demo?

I know you can only play the first season, but I'm more concerned about a real life kind of time limit, à la "3 days and you're out" that I experienced with TPG2 the first time around. I might be tempted to try this one out but since I've never played any college sports game before, and barely follow college football, it might take me some time to fully know if I'm gonna like it or not...

Thanks in advance.

FM

No time limit that I'm aware of. You can replay that first season over and over again.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #134
path12
Coordinator

Arlie, I just want to say that this is really a fantastic game. It has been the first text sim in ages that has substantially cut into my FM time, and I've tried a bunch of them.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #135
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Arlie, I just want to say that this is really a fantastic game. It has been the first text sim in ages that has substantially cut into my FM time, and I've tried a bunch of them.

I read on page 2 of this thread that you were mostly using the coach's suggestion for gameplanning, is that still mostly the way you play the game?

I'm asking because that would be the way I'd play the game. I'm not too big on gameplanning but the recruiting thing intrigues me...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 09-23-2007 at 12:30 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote