Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #501
Travis
Pro Rookie

Given that a lot of "experts" were predicting this to be the year that the Niners (or Rams) would step up and knock off the Seahawks (apparently tiring of proclaiming it the year of the Cardinals), I think either of those teams are going to have to show a lot more in the next few weeks (also just got a lot harder for the Rams after losing Pace) if that's going to happen. I wasn't overly happy with the first half of the Seahawks game yesterday, but compared to SF/Ari tonight, still pretty happy with our chances for this season.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #502
Logan
Head Coach

"We haven't heard Vernon Davis' name all night."

Maybe because we haven't thrown the ball more than 5 yards downfield?

And I understand Gore is a power back, but can we maybe try a toss? Stretch play? Anything besides the HB Dive?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #503
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just me, or more blatently awful refereeing decisions this weekend than usual? Off the top of my head, the no offside call in the Bears - Chargers game, the unbelievable pass interference call on Heap in the Ravens game earlier, and then Fitzgerald just gets cut off in the middle of the field with the official looking right at him and nothing (so the last one isn't as bad, but the first two should get somebody suspended for sure)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #504
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just me, or more blatently awful refereeing decisions this weekend than usual? Off the top of my head, the no offside call in the Bears - Chargers game, the unbelievable pass interference call on Heap in the Ravens game earlier, and then Fitzgerald just gets cut off in the middle of the field with the official looking right at him and nothing (so the last one isn't as bad, but the first two should get somebody suspended for sure)

Re: the Fitz one...I only saw the one replay, but to me (Niner fan, full disclosure), it looked like Fitz just cut right into Harris when he went from an inside cross to a post corner.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #505
bhlloy
Coordinator

Another terrible call on the 15 yard facemask helps Arizona into the lead. Didn't see the taunting penalty, but I really don't like this refereeing crew at all and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a ticky-tack one as well.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #506
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. Crazy end to the game.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #507
Vince
Pro Starter

YES.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #508
Vince
Pro Starter

Nail, meet coffin.

What a game. I have to say, I'm much more comfortable with a mostly sputtering offense than with a mostly terrible defense (this year versus last year).
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #509
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Are Mike & Mike from San Fran? They seemed to be SF homers for the entire game.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #510
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Atleast we know Arizona doesn't need Denny Green to blow numerous chances at icing up a Monday night win. The Whisenhunt Cards are just as proficient in that area.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #511
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Are Mike & Mike from San Fran? They seemed to be SF homers for the entire game.

I think it was the Bill Walsh + Being in San Francisco effect. I don't think they're from here.

Though I'm completely biased (huge 49er fan), I didn't think they were overly homerish. They wouldn't shut up about both defenses. They did happen to mention more individual 49ers on defense, but I think that's because the Cards had some semblance of an offense, and the 49ers were making plays...the 49ers were completely anemic on offense (largely because of a lack of pass protection) until that last drive. 109 yards of total offense with less than 5 minutes to play? That's terrible. And honestly, I don't think it was because of amazing Cardinal defense so much as it was 49er failures.

I don't want to take anything away from the Cards' defense -- they did play quite well. I just think that it was a case of the 49ers failing more than the Cards succeeding.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 AM   #512
kingfc22
Head Coach

Oh my what a finish. And to all those fans that left early. "You are not a real fan. So please don't come back"

Playcalling was awful tonight and Smith was getting very little time to throw.

Special teams and defensive unit were very solid tonight. Patrick Willis is a stud.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 AM   #513
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Playcalling was awful tonight and Smith was getting very little time to throw.

Special teams and defensive unit were very solid tonight. Patrick Willis is a stud.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. I want to give the playcalling a little more time than just one game before hanging them out to dry...especially after that last drive. The end-around was brilliant. But Smith had absolutely no time to throw until they went to a 3-man rush at the end. I think the first few plays of that drive gave Alex the confidence to throw the ball...I was so frustrated when Jackson dropped that absolutely gorgeous, perfectly placed throw in the end zone

And I have a HUGE man-crush on Patrick Willis. I have since the draft, and tonight just made me like him more.

Last edited by Vince : 09-11-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #514
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ah welcome to life as a Cardinal fan. Taking defeat from victory has become quite commonplace for us. Leinart looked particularly bad last night. Like he was panicking anytime he didn't see a clear receiver. 102 yards passing is not what I expected given the receivers on the team.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #515
RedKingGold
College Starter

I loves me some Patrick Willis
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #516
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Benny Hill music would have been a fine backdrop to that Bengals/Ravens game.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #517
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ESPN is saying a month for Eli.

As a Giants fan this is a killer, he was a bright spot last night. I hope they go for Leftwich, at least he'll give them a shot.

I see a 3-13 season ahead.

Now it is being reported that Eli may actually play this week.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #518
miked
College Starter

The news of my death has been greatly exaggerated!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #519
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Now it is being reported that Eli may actually play this week.

Weird situation, and as an Eli owner, I've been following it closely.

You have the Giants and NY media saying it's day to day. Might play this week, probably not, but if he doesn't, the next week should be good.

Adam Schefter on NFL.com is one of two media guys giving a different answer. He says out two, maybe more.

Mortensen and ESPN are oddly sticking to their guns and saying at least a month. All they have to say is something like "Manning's status is uncertain, how much time he'll miss is unknown." Their insistance on sticking with "WE'RE TELLING YOU, HE'S OUT A MONTH!!!" just comes across as weird to me. Personally, I think they're still feeling the effects of being so wrong on the "We swear, Vick isn't admitting to anything as part of his plea" so they just won't back down.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #520
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am eagerly awaiting Flere
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #521
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NFL has determined the Patriots cheated by illegally videotaping signals. It sounds like they are going to hit the Pats hard with some draft pick losses.

Edit: I just realized there is a thread dedicated to this issue. Missed it in the first browse through of the board.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-11-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #522
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am eagerly awaiting Flere

+1 (million)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #523
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Weird situation, and as an Eli owner, I've been following it closely.

You have the Giants and NY media saying it's day to day. Might play this week, probably not, but if he doesn't, the next week should be good.

Adam Schefter on NFL.com is one of two media guys giving a different answer. He says out two, maybe more.

Mortensen and ESPN are oddly sticking to their guns and saying at least a month. All they have to say is something like "Manning's status is uncertain, how much time he'll miss is unknown." Their insistance on sticking with "WE'RE TELLING YOU, HE'S OUT A MONTH!!!" just comes across as weird to me. Personally, I think they're still feeling the effects of being so wrong on the "We swear, Vick isn't admitting to anything as part of his plea" so they just won't back down.
Based off what I've seen today, he just has a Grade 1 AC Strain, effectively a bad bruise on that bone that sticks up off the shoulder. I got the same injury last year (plus a pinched nerve) checking a kid in his helmet and played lacrosse 2 days later without painkillers. It hurts a lot, especially if anything directly touches it, but I had normal range of motion and the trainers I talked to assured me I couldn't injure it more and seriously damage the shoulder to where I'd need surgery. There is also a localized brace you can use, I didn't because it was awkward but I'm sure an NFL team could design an much better fitting one.

Overall, it might be wise to sit him for a game or two (and definitely throw the red jersey on him in practice) until the bruise goes away because otherwise it could linger all year, but physically he should be fine throwing a ball even today. (That's with the caveat he didn't tear the muscle from the bone at all, in which case he should probably get surgery, but that would be diagnosed as a Grade 2 (partially torn) or Grade 3 (fully off) AC Strain.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #524
Logan
Head Coach

Good analysis, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Overall, it might be wise to sit him for a game or two (and definitely throw the red jersey on him in practice) until the bruise goes away because otherwise it could linger all year, but physically he should be fine throwing a ball even today.

Yeah, he did manage to throw a 25 yard TD pass after the injury.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #525
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Cartoons will be up no earlier than Thursday this week due mostly to a) work killing me this week and b) Rosh Hoshannah being tonight.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #526
Logan
Head Coach

It starts tomorrow night.

Wait, are you in a country where tomorrow is today?

edit: Nope, I'm wrong.

Last edited by Logan : 09-12-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #527
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Technically it starts at sundown tonight, so there are services to go to and whatnot and after that I'll be off to bed. Services tomorrow as well, of course, but since I'm not the Jewish one (the wife is), I don't usually attend those, so I'll be working. I attend the day services for Yom Kippur, of course, since I'm fasting for 24 hours anyway, but this year that's on a Saturday (the 22nd), so not even any time off work!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #528
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dammit...i saw the flere-post and was just about to come in here and bitch about no week in pictures, but I guess I can't complain about religious obligations
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #529
Logan
Head Coach

flere, if I remember correctly, technically all your sins from last year are now forgiven. So if you wanted to skip temple and work on the pictures, it would only be strike 1 against you .