Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

U.S.: 'High probability' al-Qaeda will use weapons of mass destruction

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...errorism_x.htm

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — There is a "high probability" that al-Qaeda will attempt an attack with a weapon of mass destruction in the next two years, the U.S. government said in a report Monday.
The report to a U.N. Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against the terrorist group did not say where the Bush administration believes such an attack might be launched.

But the United States said it believes that despite recent setbacks, "al-Qaeda maintains the ability to inflict significant casualties in the United States with little or no warning."

"The al-Qaeda network will remain for the foreseeable future the most immediate and serious terrorism threat facing the United States," the report said. "al-Qaeda will continue to favor spectacular attacks but also may seek softer targets of opportunity, such as banks, shopping malls, supermarkets, and places of recreation and entertainment."

The report said the terrorist organization "will continue its efforts to acquire and develop biological, chemical, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) weapons."

"We judge that there is a high probability that al-Qaeda will attempt an attack using a CBRN weapon within the next two years," it said.

A radiological weapon is a so-called "dirty bomb," which uses traditional explosives to disperse radioactivity. Such bombs could use lower-grade radioactive material which can be more easily produced or obtained than the high-grade uranium and plutonium used for nuclear weapons.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said last year that searches of more than 40 sites in Afghanistan used by al-Qaeda yielded documents, diagrams and material that showed "an appetite for weapons of mass destruction." But it did not appear al-Qaeda had succeeded in making such weapons before the U.S.-led military campaign began in October 2001.

The report said FBI investigations since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks "have revealed an extensive and widespread militant Islamic presence in the United States."

"We strongly suspect that several hundred of these extremists are linked to al-Qaeda," it said.

The U.S. report also noted that "there are hundreds of ongoing counter-terrorism investigations in the United States directly associated with al-Qaeda," primarily on the east and west coasts and in the southwest.

"Identifying and neutralizing these sleeper cells remains our most serious intelligence and law enforcement challenge," the report said.

The activities of the groups identified by the United States center on fund raising, recruitment and training, but "one or more groups or individuals could be used by al-Qaeda to carry out operations in the United States or could decide to act independently," it said.

"Al-Qaeda most likely will use the same tactics that were successful on Sept. 11 in carrying out any future attack in the United States, including efforts by cell members to avoid drawing attention to themselves and to minimize contact with militant Islamic groups and mosques in the United States. They will also maintain strict operational and communications security," the report said.

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

First off, I want to say that this type of sensationalism newswriting doesn't wash well with me.

But it seems more and more inevitable that we are seeing a "new age of terrorism, a new type of terrorism"...I believe that that is false, it's the same terrorism and the same people. The media seem to love the anxiety this gives.

But this goes back to a post a long long time ago, what do we do if this does happen...let's say New York and Los Angeles have nuclear bombs detonated on them...where does the U.S. go? what policies are implimented...and who do we lash out against...there is no Afghanistan, there is no Iraq...
Nigeria, Sudan, Brazil (large group of Muslim cells down there), Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Pakistan...at what point do we find a resolution...

Let's face it, most of these terrorists can infiltrate quite well into the U.S. but what will the American psyche be like after such an attack?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 06-09-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Talking to Chemical Soldier on line the other day he said that we will probably find a rogue nation and nuke it and invade Just cuz they go against our policy .
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy29
Talking to Chemical Soldier on line the other day he said that we will probably find a rogue nation and nuke it and invade Just cuz they go against our policy .

I think someone's been reading too much Tom Clancy.

Life's too short to be scared. I'm sick of this crap.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Well haven't we done that to two rogue nations already, how many more must follow?!? Doesn't seem to be the solution.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 06-09-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Ok I guess I overreacted when I talked to Happy but our policy is that :
''We Will Nuke back if Nuked upon .''
Nuking who ....well that is another issue .
Old 06-09-2003, 10:31 PM   #7
neofied
Banned

I've gotten to where I take these warnings with a grain of salt. Sadly, I think the government is going to keep posting these warnings and eventually people will just gloss over them. That's when the real problems will begin, because people will let their guard down.
neofied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #8
Easy Mac

This is the same group that said they were certain Saddam would use chemical weapons during the war.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
NYFAN
High School JV

Not quite true. People said they had them, but there was the possibility they wouldn't use them to prevent them from being held responsible as war criminals. I do believe Iraq had weapons that were illegal - heck we found them, but people choose to ignore them because they aren't "bad enough" - and probably destroyed, hid them well, or took them where ever they went before we could find them.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

These "warnings" do noone any good. They are specifically designed to cover asses if/when an attack occurs. Personally, I'm not interested in hearing that we'll be attacked, I want to know how we can stop an attack or handle the consequences.

I had a conversation with one of my high school kids a few weeks ago about the warning ystem. His point was that it was great that Americans didn't let the warning effect them. My point was that at some point the warning should effect our lives. If we always ignoe the warnings, why have them? Sadly, I'm afraid we have them so that everyone will have the political cover they want. Too bad that we are more focused on colors than chem suits for fire fighters, port security, and border patrols.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:01 AM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

"It's the end of the world as we know it."

"And I feel fine."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #12
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
I don't care, we've been to orange many times, mostly during high-level events like The Super Bowl, The Daytona 500 and other stuff, have those venues been attacked ? No, will they ever ? Probably not. I don't forsee anything else happening in the future, now that we've basically busted any person of middle-eastern descent (innocent or not) and demolished almost every country that has supported terrorism (again, innocent or not). So, there's nothing to worry about.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:09 AM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy29
I don't forsee anything else happening in the future, now that we've basically busted any person of middle-eastern descent (innocent or not) and demolished almost every country that has supported terrorism (again, innocent or not). So, there's nothing to worry about.

I'm trying to figure out if you are serious or not here...
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote