Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #51
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently . And I think that is exactly why the sabermetric community got its start... from countering arguments based on personal experience rather than facts.

Still does. Have you seen some of the people here?

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #52
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Let me phrase differently....I want him to sacrifice when it means something. Try and hit a single when that's all you need. The man went two seasons without a sac fly...that's shameful. I'd trade him to anybody in a heartbeat. His work ethic sucks and he has no desire to get better. Just wants to hit his 450 ft homeruns. If you liked Dave Kingman...enjoy.

So this is what Wayne Kriviski does in his spare time...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #53
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
What you won't change though, is why would you want a guy who can't put the ball in play 25% of the time and has his OPS drop by 50 points when the game is on the line? As long as there is no pressure and he can just swing away, he's good to go. When he's asked to actually hit situationally, he drops off.
I see - so even though his OPS in clutch situations is very good, because it's not quite as good as in non-clutch situations you have it in for the guy?

And yeah, striking out a lot means less times he puts the ball in play where it could advance or score runners on base, but it also means less times he hits into double plays. Striking out a lot isn't nearly as awful as you seem to think it is.

FWIW, many Seattle fans seem to love Willie Bloomquist. Wanna swap him for Dunn?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
And yeah, striking out a lot means less times he puts the ball in play where it could advance or score runners on base, but it also means less times he hits into double plays. Striking out a lot isn't nearly as awful as you seem to think it is.

Yeah, and if you're "hitting situationally," that also means hitting groundballs to advance the runner, which of course lowers OPS. And it's not like this guy is going to leg out hits, so I'd rather him do what he does best, which is drive the ball. But hey, that's just me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #55
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Where does the 25% number come from? You say "ball in play" but you must mean "get a hit". He strikes out roughly 1/3 of the time, which would but his "balls in play" at roughly 66%.

Dunn needs to get traded, but not for the absurd reasons you mention. The problem with Dunn is that the Reds won't be willing to pay the 15 million plus he'll get in free agency after next year and I'm not sure he'd even be willing to come back. He can go to a contender and not take half the crap he takes in Cincy.

The Dunn hatred in Cincy is crazy, but it gets a huge boost from Marty Brenneman. He's been doing the Reds for so long that anything he says has credibility in Cincy. It'll be lovely when Norris Hopper is our starting LF.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

Hey, a thread about Adam Dunn! Guy has no drive, has never improved his defense despite his clear athletic talent, is actually worse at 1B than in LF (no small task), and has no sense of the strike zone (maybe because he is so tall).

But it's not like 40 HR guys grow on trees. I've gone full circle on Dunn... his defensive display on opening day this year made me ill, but I've come to appreciate him for what he is.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #57
KWhit
Coordinator

I have no idea what type of player statistically helps his team more, but I love watching Ichiro play the game. He's a lot more interesting than any of those sluggers out there who only seem to produce a HR, KO, or BB.

Besides, homeruns are fascist.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote