Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Head Coach

REL: The proper response...

Roland Martin is quickly becoming my favorite columnist. This is probably the third time or so that I have quoted him.

Quote:
(CNN) -- Non-Catholics who are up in arms of the proclamation by Pope Benedict XVI that the only true church in the world is that of Catholicism shouldn't even bother getting upset. Just chalk it up to an old man trying to get a little attention.

For him to even suggest that only the Catholic Church can provide true salvation to believers in Christ shows that he is wholly ignorant of the Scriptures that I have known all my life.

Sorry, let me take that back. I've really only known the Bible for the last 13 of my 38 years. That's because those first 25 years were spent as a die-hard Catholic.

That's right, I was born and raised in the Catholic Church. One of the first meetings to build the church I was raised in -- Our Lady Star of the Sea in Houston -- took place in my grandparents' living room. Many of my Saturdays and Sundays were spent serving as an altar boy, Catholic Youth Organization leader, dedicated student of Catechism, and constantly reciting the Holy Rosary.

And the reality is that we were never really encouraged to study the Scriptures. The standard practice was for all of us to read the same pamphlets passed out by the church, recite the readings from the New and Old Testaments, listen to the Scripture chosen for us in the Gospel and hear a normally bland homily.

That isn't always the case at some Catholic churches. If you visit St. Sabina in Chicago, Father Michael Pfleger will surely have your soul jumping with his strong sermons and willingness to engage the community to get involved in direct action.

Yet as I reflect on my years as a Catholic, it pretty much was a wasted experience, as there was more identification with the church, and not with Christ.

And that's why Pope Benedict XVI is meaningless, along with his decision to re-state the primacy of the Catholic Church. This week, the pope released a document correcting interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, which some say modernized the church. But for hardliners like Pope Benedict XVI, the liberals went too far in some of their declarations.
But what ticked folks off was his assertion in the 16-page document by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith that the only denominations that can call themselves true churches are ones that can trace their roots back to Jesus Christ's original apostles. He even suggested they suffer from defects.

This is nothing but a naked attempt by Pope Benedict XVI to "own" Jesus by virtue of the Catholic Church considering the apostle Peter as its leader. He refuses to acknowledge the reality that Jesus didn't consider a church to be most important. What was? The Great Commission.

The Bible records in Matthew 28:16 that Jesus called his 11 disciples (the other, Judas, hanged himself after betraying Jesus) to Mount Galilee and decreed, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (New International Version).

It doesn't matter what Pope Benedict XVI has to say, or for that matter, any other religious leader. A Christian believes in Jesus Christ and what He had to say, not what a man of God has to say. This is not an attempt to completely dismiss religious leaders, but is further evidence of what happens when ego is more important than the work of Christ.

John 14:6 says, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Nowhere does it say that Peter, Pope Benedict XVI or anyone else can supplant Jesus as the leader of the church.

It is these kinds of missives by Pope Benedict XVI that do nothing to support or build the community of faith. All it does is divide.

Protestant leaders: Don't buy into the foolishness. Let Pope Benedict XVI keep running off at the mouth and making pointless declarations. If you keep bringing good news to the poor, setting the captives free and assisting those who seek to know Jesus, then you'll make more headway in doing the work of Jesus than any 16-page document will.

The Pharisees can have their power and ego but for the rest of us, it is about our direct relationship with God.

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This thread will go well.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heck, I didn't even know he was a columnist nor anything about his religion.
I figured being an expert at one thing was enough for most people.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Try again.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
flounder
High School Varsity

Fishing puts a man through many changes.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Fishing puts a man through many changes.

Apparently.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
WVUFAN
College Starter

A former Catholic doesn't like something the Pope wrote.

BIG shocker.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Quote:
And the reality is that we were never really encouraged to study the Scriptures. The standard practice was for all of us to read the same pamphlets passed out by the church, recite the readings from the New and Old Testaments, listen to the Scripture chosen for us in the Gospel and hear a normally bland homily.

If nothing else, this shows a certain amount of ignorance. Yes, there are chosen readings for each day from the Old and New testaments, then the gospel. But it's silly to think that doesn't cover the bible - if you're not studying and learning, you're not paying attention. It's a three year cycle, during which every line of every book of the bible is covered. I can name half a dozen places to get the full listings of scripture - it's a guide.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't plenty of lapsed and semi-lapsed Catholics out there, of course there are. And there are just as many Protestant ministers who are poor at giving homilies and sermons as there are Catholic. Regardless of your religion, faith takes both a personal commitment and attitude - if you can't find that in the Catholic church, then it's not for you; it's not that it doesn't exist there.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Easy Mac

It would help Roland if he read the document instead of just reading the clippings of evangelicals.gov... I mean .com.

Just because he was slack in religion while he was a Catholic doesn't mean everyone else is.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It would help Roland if he read the document instead of just reading the clippings of evangelicals.gov... I mean .com.

Just because he was slack in religion while he was a Catholic doesn't mean everyone else is.

I don't think it was meant to be solely an anti-Catholic thing because Martin has said the exact same thing against the evangelical charismatics or what are refered to as the 'religious right' leaders. The trappings of a man-made institution, whether a church/denomination or a government, is not the answer in themselves. Too many today and throughout history,
unfortunatently, have put their faith into such institutions, only to see them fail or become corrupted or become caught up in their own legalisms.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

When I heard the statement, I didn't have the least bit of trouble with it. I know, for a fact, that protestant leaders have said the same thing. Christian(protestant) leaders have prayed that Catholics and Jews would find salvation. I don't consider it bigoted. It seems to be the compassionate thing to do, if you believe that someone is truly on the wrong path, you are hoping/praying that they find their way. I just don't take issue with that. I personally wouldn't make such a proclamation, but I don't think it is near as offensive as people portray it. I'll add that I don't have a problem with them praying for me, since I'm not a Catholic or a Jew, as far as they are concerned I'm not on the path to salvation.

I also don't think it was near as big as the news that the pope decided to bring back the old mass. Two generations of Catholics have grown up without it, and I think it would be a step backwards. I believe that one of the ways to appeal to people and draw them into your church is to be culturally relevant. A return to doing things the way they were done a thousand years ago, doesn't seem to be the way to accomplish that.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 07-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
When I heard the statement, I didn't have the least bit of trouble with it. I know, for a fact, that protestant leaders have said the same thing. Christian(protestant) leaders have prayed that Catholics and Jews would find salvation. I don't consider it bigoted. It seems to be the compassionate thing to do, if you believe that someone is truly on the wrong path, you are hoping/praying that they find their way. I just don't take issue with that. I personally wouldn't make such a proclamation, but I don't think it is near as offensive as people portray it. I'll add that I don't have a problem with them praying for me, since I'm not a Catholic or a Jew, as far as they are concerned I'm not on the path to salvation.
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. I take it as a given that all religions think theirs is the one true path, otherwise why would they even practice religion?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I agree with Biggles. Quick place your bets on the Cubs winning the Series!

Anyhow, it astonishes me the number of "devout" Catholics that really don't understand what the Church stands for. Many of them leave the Church and then come back and start bashing it for XYZ reason.

The fact of the matter is that any religious leader has to claim that his way is the true way, otherwise, what good is the religion?

Southern Baptists tell me that I am going to hell because I don't believe what they believe. Lutherans tell me that my faith in the Church is misguided, etc.

Religion is an important aspect of our personal relationship with God, but by no means is it the only part of our relationship with God.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. I take it as a given that all religions think theirs is the one true path, otherwise why would they even practice religion?

Bingo... such a complete non-story. The POPE believes Catholicism is the only path to salvation?! Stop the presses! Please... if he didn't believe that, I'd have to wonder what he was doing.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

If you aren't selling your brand as the best one out there, what exactly are you selling, anyhow? Non-story, agreed. The column puts it pretty articulately, I'd agree, but the suggestion that this is anything novel is where I'd differ.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

That article made me think of the Jim Gaffigan bit I saw last night.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jim Gaffigan is the man!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

If the esteemed PB XVI said that all other religious denominations are going to burn in hell for all eternity, well, that might be controversial (despite it being what he does believe, I guess). Like everyone else has said, this is no more controversial than the CEO of Coca-Cola saying that his brand of beverage is the one true source of liquid refreshment.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

This is a non-story, but I do always like it when any church changes an "official" policy re:anything (not that it's the case here). To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens, it's like: "Sorry, we were wrong about that--but we're ready to go back to being infallible again."

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote