Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

racing sim rFACTOR

I saw this game mentioned at The blog for the sports gamer. Doe sanyone know anything about it?

rFactor Racing

Last edited by Galaril : 09-06-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Bad link.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah,I fixed it sorry.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I saw this game mentioned at The blog for the sports gamer. Doe sanyone know anything about it?

rFactor Racing
My brother beta tested the game. Said it liiked pretty good and controls were great.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

What does it use for controls mouse,wheel or game pad?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I think you can use any of those or the keyboard.

I downloaded the MP demo, unfortunately I had sent my steering wheel off to storage since I haven't had a good racing title lately. So I went about driving old school with the keyboard. The physics are excellent, while still being able to actually drive the cars. I liked the addition of rough surfaces that can throw you off-line. You learn to avoid those areas after a few laps. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have my wheel back and can give it a good workout. I figure I'll go ahead and buy it.

Other pluses are that it has been built as a platform, with many modding options available. So the user community should come out with tons of great mods and add ons.

Last edited by Lonnie : 09-06-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
Eilim
High School Varsity

Haven't tried the release version yet, as they haven't released a demo. The MP demo they released a while back left me unimpressed. I've heard the release version is much better, BUT reviews are very mixed at this point.

Tough to really tell based on word of mouth on this one as the "fanboy" element of racing sims puts all other games to shame. Sort of a war of words going on between the rfactor and Live for Speed fans every time either game is mentioned at this point. (I'm an admitted LFS fanboy at this point.)

From what reasonable discussion I've found hidden in all the bickering, both games are good.. but each have their quirks. If your looking for more of an "end product" at this point, people are leaning towards LFS with its more tracks,cars and more polished feel. If your more interested in something that will give you more variety and expansion possiblities in the future, go with rfactor, as its focus isn't really in being a game unto itself but a modding platform for others to build into different genre racing sims.

Hopefully they'll release an up to date demo sometime soon so I can see how it is for myself. Untill then, I'll just plug in my FFB wheel and have a blast getting my ass kicked in LFS.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

What's the price tag on this?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Eilim
High School Varsity

rfactor is 39.99 I believe. Live for speed was roughly 42 us$ last I checked. One plus lfs has over rfactor, atleast for now... is that the free demo download lets you play online with a choice of 3 tracks and 3 cars with no time limit on use. If your looking for some fun online racing for free, it can't be beat.

Last I knew, there was a rumor going around that rfactor would have a demo released in a similar format in the near future.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

That's not bad. Because of it's open-endedness, I figure that rFactor has a ton of mod potential, but maybe not so much up front(?).

I am a huge fan of Grand Prix Legends and this certainly has some in-car scenes that remind me a whole lot of GPL. So it has me interested.

I also have raced a lot of EA's F1 games (Single Player) and used to run in a NASCAR on-line league using Sierra's titles for a while back in the day.

I would be very interested in rFactor if it were a serious MP enviroment.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #11
Eilim
High School Varsity

Both games are pretty much designed almost exclusively for multiplayer. The single player experience is token at best and more a practice/learning experience for multiplayer. (Although rfactor does have a career mode, but I guess it still needs some work.)

While LFS does have a pretty fun (and also pretty hardcore) formula scene, if thats your focus I'd say rfactor is the one for you. The stock f1 in game movies I've seen seem to be a blast. Plus the two most anticipated mods I believe are formula racer mods (I think one is already out, but I might be wrong.) Also, if you like GPL, its the same group working on rfactor I think.

I'll probably be picking it up in the future once some of the kinks are ironed out (doesn't help I'm low on disposable cash after picking up a logitech momo ffb wheel set after getting hooked on online racing once again.)

I won't stop pushing LFS on you even if you grab rfactor though.. I have dreams of a possible FOFC racing team. Even started working on some skins.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
Eilim
High School Varsity

Probably should just let this thread drift off, but with my recent addiction to online racing I just couldn't let it happen just quite yet.

Just in case anyone else has gotten hooked, or even just interested, here are some links I've run across that may be of interest:

TurnFast : Technical Articles - While aimed at real life sports car racers, has some great info that can take your sim driving up a notch.

AutoSimSport - Nice E-zine on the online racing community. Has articles on new software and hardware of the genre, along with useful info on the leagues and events around the internet. Nice thing is they keep copies of all back issues online so you never miss anything if you don't want to.

Race Sim Central - Pretty much *the* forums if your interested in online racing. Even acts as the official forums for a few sim and hardware manufacturers.

Anyways, off for some more practice laps.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
maximus
Banned

Here is my opinion I posted on another forum board (Masgrafx) - so some of what I posted may not be relevent to FOFC. I will say this, however, I do have some inside knowledge of some of the mods coming out for rFactor and They.Are.Amazing. Thats all about what I can say at this point.

Quote:
Hey guys. I picked up (or downloaded) rFactor a few days ago. I have a few things about the sim I would like to pass along since niot a lot of people (sim racers) know about it. I am in no way associated with ISI (rFactors creators) or any mod community. My goal is to share some of my opinions of rFactor with some of my favorite sites (like this one). The reason is because sooner or later we all may have to move on from NR2K3 (my all-time fav sim). The hope is that MasGrafx, one of the best NR2K3 sites of all-time, will eventually embrace rFactor with their outstanding paint schemes and even tracks.

What rFacotr is out of the box.

First off, rFacotr does not come licensed with any real tracks or car makes/models. It does come, however, with fictional tracks and cars. Out of the box, the tracks are just beautiful. The graphics are outstanding and the F1 (style) cars are excellent.

rFactor was developed with the modding community in mind. In fact, it was the main priority in ISIs' list of features.

Here is that list straight from their site http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=features:

Physics
* Updated 15 degrees of freedom physics engine
* Advanced tire modeling
* Support for 4-link rear suspension
* Engine boost modeling
* Complex aerodynamics
* Head physics, cockpit vibrations, detailed bump modeling
* All-new track-specific terrain data file system

Open Architecture
* Extensive support for modders
* Easy to use customizable multi-language support
* Define a league schedule
* Rules to simulate different types of racing
* Completely customize your controller
* Drop in new vehicle liveries

These are just a few features that rFactor has. The link provides the rest.

What it can become.

Since rFactor has an open architecture it can become pretty much any type of racing series the modding community creates - including "Stock Car" racing *which I hear Brian Ring is "looking into" *. :headbang: . The first rFactor mod has already been released. It is called F3. http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1551. This mod is a smaller (but real life) series based off of F1.

My opinion of rFactor.

Excellent. Thats about all I can say because the potential of rFactor is just amazing. These are the best physics I have ver raced on (including GTR - my second fav sim of all-time). However, I was somewhat concerned about the AI when I first played the sim. The problem was that the AI cars would ram into the back of you at the start of a race. However, this can be fixed via a PRL setting. You can find the fix here; http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1550

Guys, the netcode (for multiplayer) for rFactor is top notch. I would say it is at least on par with NR2K3 or better to some degree.

Again, my hope is that Masgrafx jumps in with their paints and talents. The possibilities are that good with rFactor. Finally a sim that can be modded to no end. :hail: Also, I created this post to let those who have no idea what rFactor is about.

PS: The Lime Rock track has also been released. http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopi...ight=lime+rock
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

~dola

If anyone here uses the black Logitech Momo wheel, PM or ask me here for settings. I have a real good set to use with rFactor. I also use the Act-Labs performance pedal set up (the one with the shifter and clutch). So please ask and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I love setting up racing cockpits.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

I did end up downloading this and I must say, the similarities with the old GPL are fantastic. This thing will go a long way one day. But for now, I'm happy just taking the trainers around the circuits.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #16
Eilim
High School Varsity

Have you tried the F3 mod at all yet, Dutch? I've heard rave reviews for it so far.

My brother in law ended up grabbing rFactor (the damn traitorous bastard) and I have to admit I had fun with it. Still not my prefered racer though.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nope. Not yet. I'm still getting my feet wet with the rFactor community. But I like to at least get a good feel of the "out of the box" racing first. Mods come later.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #18
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim
Have you tried the F3 mod at all yet, Dutch? I've heard rave reviews for it so far.

My brother in law ended up grabbing rFactor (the damn traitorous bastard) and I have to admit I had fun with it. Still not my prefered racer though.

Yup, tried it and its great. There are already a few sound mods for F3. Check here;

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=223031

and here for a "menu mod" for rFactor:

http://thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1699 (much easier to navigate imo).

These two sites I just prvided are great for the modding community.

One, the US Pits and the other Race Sim Central (RSC).
Old 09-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #19
maximus
Banned

Here is a lap with an F1 car at one of the default tracks that came with the game.

http://media.putfile.com/rFormula-TobanS

This lap was done by one of the "PITS" guys (the modding group who is responsible for 60% of NR2003 mods).

That is one of the best laps I have ever seen turned at Tobin.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:53 AM   #20
RebelMan
Mascot

I tried the MP test demo and loved it. It reminds me of F12002 (which I played the hell out of), which was pretty fun. Of course, it's made by ISI - the same company that made F12002. I loved ISI's road racers but I never could get into their stock car games because they sucked. I'll probably purchase rFactor sometime down the road.

Looks like the USPITS guys will have a blast outta this, and so will the fans after they were basically pushed around by FIRST-racing.

Last edited by RebelMan : 09-24-2005 at 01:55 AM.
RebelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Bumping this because almost a year after it was released, a new patch came out on August 1st.

New features include:

Vehicles:
2006 BMW Sauber F1 - High Performance Open Wheel
National Stock Car - Stock Car
2006 Rhez - Small FWD Sport Compact

Circuits:
Barcelona - Permanent Road Course
Jacksonville Speedway - High Banked Superspeedway
Lienz Rally Hillclimb - Rally Course
Montreal - Permanent Road Course
Northamptonshire - Permanent Road Course
Nuerburg - Permanent Road Course

Full feature list is a few pages long and can be seen here.

This was an instant purchase after playing with the demo for a few hours today.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
vtbub
College Starter

Bought this last week and love it. No way I could do this MP as I need too many auto mods turned on in order for me to drive, but damn, I'm hooked.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
Eilim
High School Varsity

bah, another one converted to the dark side. Don't have rfactor installed anymore, (but I do still have a few ISI engine based games in GTR2 and GTL.) but follow along on the updates over on RSCnet when trolling for LFS info.

I don't know if your using a wheel or not for a controller, but if you are, I strongly suggest looking for the mod that gives rfactor proper steering column based force feedback. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I've only heard good things about it, and it makes rfactor a little bit closer to the ultimate racing simulator the world has ever seen.. (speaking of LFS ofcourse. )

Also, if you do enjoy rfactor, I'd strongly suggest picking up GTR2. I picked up a copy for under 20$ at best buy for the sole reason of playing an upcoming GTL conversion but found myself sucked into playing the game as is.. even with the craptastic driving physics and feeling. The single player experience and overall presentation of everything outside of the actual driving is just top notch and really gets you into being a part of racing.