Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Universal leaving Itunes

Universal is on its way to taking its music out of Itunes, presumably because $0.99 is not enough, and because they're not getting money every time an iPod is sold. Oh well... everyone can go back to pirating Universal artists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inter...S&pageNumber=1

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

This line was the best: "Some music executives have privately expressed frustration that Apple's dominant position may have hampered growth of the fledgling digital music market by keeping users locked within the Apple system."

The music execs have only themselves to blame. There was a big void in the market while they were fighting tooth and nail against any digital piracy while still trying to sell CDs, when customers clearly wanted a digital option. Had they started digitally selling their own stuff during that period, Itunes would not have the dominant position that it does now. Rather than hamper growth, Apple was the driving force for growth. The music execs were the ones fully responsible for hampering growth.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 07-02-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Some music executives have privately expressed frustration that Apple's dominant position may have hampered growth of the fledgling digital music market by keeping users locked within the Apple system.

So, Universal's alternate plan is?
Apple may not be the best answer, but they are better then nothing.
It seams some what ironic for them to complain about Apple's DRM.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post

Clearly, it's to sell their own music for $50 a song, loaded with triple DRM that secretly loads up a trojan on your computer.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Malificent
High School JV

Am I the only person in the world that thinks the price point on individual songs is off? Why am I basically paying the same price for a downloaded album that I would pay for a physical CD? I'm not trying to argue for free - just cheaper. At .10 or even .25 per song, I would probably buy more music than I do now. Russian pirates or not, I think allofmp3 had both the best pricing system and the best download system in the business.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you are not the only person to think that at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Why am I basically paying the same price for a downloaded album that I would pay for a physical CD?

Convenience.

Well, that, and the fact that it seems to be the highest price point buyers have a comfort level with.

I'll be honest with you, I have absolutely no problem paying .99 per track in order to get what I want when I want it. It's even better that I can avoid both Wal-Mart crowds & too-cool-for-school/14-22 year old targeting brick & mortar music stores and still get what I want. I've hear plenty of hip & hop while I'm sitting at traffic thanks, last thing I want to do is try to find something I like while it's blaring at me on somebody's in-store audio.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Convenience.

Well, that, and the fact that it seems to be the highest price point buyers have a comfort level with.

I'll be honest with you, I have absolutely no problem paying .99 per track in order to get what I want when I want it. It's even better that I can avoid both Wal-Mart crowds & too-cool-for-school/14-22 year old targeting brick & mortar music stores and still get what I want. I've hear plenty of hip & hop while I'm sitting at traffic thanks, last thing I want to do is try to find something I like while it's blaring at me on somebody's in-store audio.

I can buy that, I guess. I think I just expect convenience as part of the online world rather than plan to pay for it.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can buy that, I guess. I think I just expect convenience as part of the online world rather than plan to pay for it.

{shrug} At this stage of my life, there's virtually nothing that I expect to be "convenient". Then again, there are times when I would be willing to pay someone to walk to the coffeemaker around the corner in the next room instead of me having to do it.

And no, before anyone asks, I'm not hiring at the moment
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If I had to buy CDs or even digital tracks at the volume I listen to music, I'd consume a lot less music than I do now. I don't really understand their long-term position on this stuff. But I guess screw the future so long as we get rich now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post

Step 1 - Pull out of Itunes

Step 2 - ???

Step 3 - Profit
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Am I the only person in the world that thinks the price point on individual songs is off? Why am I basically paying the same price for a downloaded album that I would pay for a physical CD? I'm not trying to argue for free - just cheaper. At .10 or even .25 per song, I would probably buy more music than I do now. Russian pirates or not, I think allofmp3 had both the best pricing system and the best download system in the business.

No, not at all. I think the price really is way high.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
No, not at all. I think the price really is way high.

Unfortunately our wallets don't seem to tell the same story.. it's just like people bitching for years that ~$15 for a CD was too much... it seemed to, as Jon said, be the high price point that people would pay... People are paying $.99 a song and $9.99 an album (myself included) at pretty high rates... I know companies like Apple, etc do their research and there has to be a reason they pick this price point - maximizing profit... They must figure that if it's $.50 a song while more of a "fair" price that maybe they'll increase sales by 75% or something..

I'm just picking numbers, but point being I'm sure they've researched these price points to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Step 2 - ???

Step 3 - Profit

Well put.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

actually, if you re-read the articles, it doesn't say they're pulling out entirely, just going month to month. This is an attempt to scare Itunes/Apple into keeping them on at Universal's terms (higher per song price, a cut of IPod revenue, etcetera)
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Unfortunately our wallets don't seem to tell the same story.. it's just like people bitching for years that ~$15 for a CD was too much... it seemed to, as Jon said, be the high price point that people would pay... People are paying $.99 a song and $9.99 an album (myself included) at pretty high rates... I know companies like Apple, etc do their research and there has to be a reason they pick this price point - maximizing profit... They must figure that if it's $.50 a song while more of a "fair" price that maybe they'll increase sales by 75% or something..

I'm just picking numbers, but point being I'm sure they've researched these price points to hell.

Actually, I think your analysis is a bit off concerning the driving forces for the prices. Apple had to pick a price that would satisfy the record industry as well as the consumers. I think Apple has wanted to decrease prices of at least some songs, but has been unable to get the recording companies to sign off on those changes. Because of the RIAA, the music industry doesn't quite function like an ideal market in terms of reaching a consumer and competition driven price equilibrium.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I would look at it this way. Normally, a hit single is anywhere between $3 and $6 if purchased a-la cart at Best Buy or some music store. You are getting them for $.99 at i-Tunes. If you just buy one song, you can't expect to get the same price as a pro-rated cost on a CD. That's like someone saying they should be able to get a snickers bar at the 7-11 for the same price as one bar pro-rated in a 50-pack at costco. It just doesn't work that way.

Now, I do think there should be some "in bulk" pricing for iTunes that is a discount. And, most albums do cost between $3 and $8 less than if you purchased the songs individually or went to a store.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Step 2 - ???

Step 3 - Profit
I think it's a good move by Universal. The music companies need to get out from under Apple ASAP. The thing with Apple is, the music they sell only works on their own players, which locks people in to Apple mp3 players almost for life (because otherwise they would have to re-buy their entire library of songs). If, some years in the future, Apple has all these consumers that are locked into Apple, they might have enough clout to start pushing around the big music guys.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
Easy Mac

The last 3 or 4 albums I've gotten from Itunes works on even the cheap little player I have as a backup.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I think it's a good move by Universal. The music companies need to get out from under Apple ASAP. The thing with Apple is, the music they sell only works on their own players, which locks people in to Apple mp3 players almost for life (because otherwise they would have to re-buy their entire library of songs). If, some years in the future, Apple has all these consumers that are locked into Apple, they might have enough clout to start pushing around the big music guys.

Actually, with many of the songs now available free from DRM (at the extra 30 cents a song on original purchase or uprgrade for current songs), you can play them anywhere (PC, other MP3 players, etc.). If the music execs would actually "allow" Apple to put DRM-free songs on Itunes (like the one company that has), Itunes would not have the locked in player advantage at all.

In the end, I think Itunes is gunning to be top seller of all digital media anyways (whether for their player or not), because why else would they be pushing for DRM-free music to be put on Itunes.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 07-02-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #21
Easy Mac

Thankfully, album prices stay the same with Itunes Plus (i hate buying singles).
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Thankfully, album prices stay the same with Itunes Plus (i hate buying singles).

Yes, I forgot that. No additional charge for DRM-free when the whole album is purchased.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Isn't there something to be said for the fact that most CDs are, at best, half good/half filler, so you can get the good songs on a CD for $4 or $5?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Isn't there something to be said for the fact that most CDs are, at best, half good/half filler, so you can get the good songs on a CD for $4 or $5?

SI

what shit bands are you consistently buying albums by?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Actually, I think your analysis is a bit off concerning the driving forces for the prices. Apple had to pick a price that would satisfy the record industry as well as the consumers. I think Apple has wanted to decrease prices of at least some songs, but has been unable to get the recording companies to sign off on those changes. Because of the RIAA, the music industry doesn't quite function like an ideal market in terms of reaching a consumer and competition driven price equilibrium.

Fair enough, but they're not exactly losing money because of the price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

What is the alternative to apple, at this point? I know nobody else is really close, but who's distant second?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

kazaa-lite?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
What is the alternative to apple, at this point? I know nobody else is really close, but who's distant second?

for music sales or for units?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #29
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
for music sales or for units?

I mean for something like the ipod/itunes process. I'm just not really aware of anything else.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Probably Yahoo Music or Rhapsody or Napster
Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #31
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Actually, with many of the songs now available free from DRM (at the extra 30 cents a song on original purchase or uprgrade for current songs), you can play them anywhere (PC, other MP3 players, etc.). If the music execs would actually "allow" Apple to put DRM-free songs on Itunes (like the one company that has), Itunes would not have the locked in player advantage at all.

In the end, I think Itunes is gunning to be top seller of all digital media anyways (whether for their player or not), because why else would they be pushing for DRM-free music to be put on Itunes.

I think Jobs said that they only got into iTunes to sell more iPods. Apple doesn't make shit from the sale of songs as most of it goes to the record label.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: top legal digital music sources
http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_0703141.html

Among PC users, iTunes maintains a 70 percent share of households using a legal service and the share of song tracks downloaded; however, the average number of files purchased by the average iTunes user fell 11 percent since 2005. Songs purchased per buyer from Napster and Wal-Mart also declined, while Yahoo’s digital music download sales rates held steady.

and re: iTunes share of all music sales
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070625/tc_nm/itunes_dc
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) digital music store iTunes is now the third-largest music retailer in the United States with 10 percent market share, overtaking Amazon.com in the first quarter, according to a survey released on Friday.

The NPD Group report highlights the growing strength of digital music in the U.S. market as physical sales of compact discs continue to slide.

Apple's iTunes is third behind market leader Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) with a 15.8 percent share, and Best Buy Co Inc. (NYSE:BBY - news) with a 13.8 percent share, according to the survey of 40,000 people aged 13 and older.

Both of those retailers mostly sell music in the CD format. Online store bestbuy.com has a 1.1 percent market share with sales of both CDs and digital music..

Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq:AMZN - news) dropped to fourth with a 6.7 percent share. Its sales increased but not as fast as rivals.

Amazon also sells music mainly in the CD format, but last month it said it plans to start selling digital music later this year but without copy protection software such as that used by iTunes.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2007 at 10:23 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #33
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Among PC users, iTunes maintains a 70 percent share of households using a legal service and the share of song tracks downloaded; however, the average number of files purchased by the average iTunes user fell 11 percent since 2005.

and re: iTunes share of all music sales
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070625/tc_nm/itunes_dc
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) digital music store iTunes is now the third-largest music retailer in the United States with 10 percent market share, overtaking Amazon.com in the first quarter, according to a survey released on Friday.

Doesn't this basically just imply that the number of iTunes users has gone way up?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:26 AM   #34
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Apple's Next Big Thing: tiny prices for iTunes albums

Posted Jul 6th 2007 12:13AM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Portable Audio

Sounds like Apple's Next Big Thing isn't too big at all: lower prices for full albums on iTunes. Introduced with a minor manifesto discussing the powerful influence of indie music on the mainstream, it's pretty clear that Cupertino's finally ready to lower the barrier of entry not only for consumers, but musicians and indie labels looking to sell music on the iTMS. $5.99 and $6.99 will now get you some tasty tracks by the likes of Peter, Bjorn, & John and LCD Soundsystem -- some are even iTunes Plus (read: DRM-free). Take note: want a great way to keep your music business popular and relevant? Offer more music for less money. Hat tip, Apple.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

'Course, there is still the problem of "you get what you pay for". Honestly, my expectation is that you'd have to pay me the six bucks to listen to 99.99% of what will be offered at that price. Time will tell, but that's what I anticipate.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #36
Easy Mac

There's some pretty good ones for the $6.99. The LCD Soundsystem album is very good. The Kooks album is solid (though I got it for $5.99 not too long ago). Maps is meh... like for people who are waiting for another The Postal Service album.

Jon you're just old
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #37
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Any price decrease on music and wider availability of DRM-free music is always a good thing.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Jon you're just old

No shit.