Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

[POL] Question for Ron Paul Supporters

I'm not a libertarian but I've always understood, but disagreed, with the reasoning behind the position. However, the support for Ron Paul surprises me and so I'm genuinely curious to hear from Paul supporters.

I grant you that he's right on the money for libertarians on low taxes and deregulation and the Iraq war.

However, he seems to do much worse on the social policy side of libertarianism such as his pro-life stance, support for the Defense of Marriage Act, and support of state sponsored religion. His support for tight border control is also fundamentally against the libertarian position. He is also in favor of court striping which seems fundamentally against the libertarian position as the courts are a primary remedy against the (unconstitutional) over extension of government.

The thing that has always allowed me to respect libertarians are their intellectual consistency but it seems Paul is off the mark in several areas.

Thanks for your time and thought in advance.

Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Most all of the other candidates have similar positions except they are not talking lowing taxes, deregulation and while funding for the Iraq War is a hot topic, it's not because of wanting to reduce govt expenditures, domestic and foreign. Truthfully, I know very little about Ron Paul but anyone who is advocated some key libertarian positions is better than anything that we have had or will have in 2008.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Ron Paul, strictly speaking, is not a libertarian. He's a Constitutionalist that leans very strongly to libertarianism.

I support Rob Paul and think he's the best available politician out there in all branches of government, but I disagree with him on several issues (some I disagree with him very strongly). However, if you found a politician that you agree with 100% of the time, it's time you started to evaluate your ability to think for yourself. That's classic sheep behaivor. I'd say I agree with Paul on about 80% of the issues, give or take, which is a lot more than just about every other politician I have read about or followed.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-25-2007 at 01:17 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I support Rob Paul and think he's the best available politician out there in all branches of government, but I disagree with him on several issues (some I disagree with him very strongly). However, if you found a politician that you agree with 100% of the time, it's time you started to evaluate your ability to think for yourself. That's classic sheep behaivor. I'd say I agree with Paul on about 80% of the issues, give or take, which is a lot more than just about every other politician I have read about or followed.

Sums it up pretty well right there.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Thanks to the three of you for sharing your perspective.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Ron Paul, strictly speaking, is not a libertarian.

I think thats the closest to reality.

He is more right than left but he simply is his own more than he is anyone else's. It's hard to gain support from a party of 1.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yes, but there is a momentum among voters yearning for libertarian values and results in the federal government. The red/blue machines look the same to a libertarian and I would suspect many are sick of them.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I would have to think that attaching the name of libertarian values to anyone would be a huge red flag to anyone hoping to win a national election.

I have lived in only 2 states in my life, MI and PA. Both swing states and both were either one or the other. Either Dem or Rep this year. It changed depending on the year and the candidate and the voter and the economy.

Either way, they were either Dem or Rep. It seems to me that Ron Paul isn't enough of either side to win support from any state.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote