Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Elijah Tells Wife To Put Her Dukes Up

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2880144

Quote:
The wife of Tampa Bay Devil Rays rookie outfielder Elijah Dukes filed for a restraining order against her husband and said she fears for her life, The St. Petersburg Times reported Wednesday.

NiShea Gilbert, a middle-school teacher, said that Dukes allegedly burst into her classroom at lunchtime in April. A frightened Gilbert then ran to the principal and got a deputy, who banished Dukes from the school.

Gilbert told a Florida court that Dukes threatened to kill her and sent her a photo of a handgun to her cell phone.

Gilbert played a voice mail allegedly from Dukes for the newspaper. "You dead, dawg. I ain't even [expletive]. Your kids, too."

Gilbert has filed requests for protection twice in the last month, according to the newspaper. A hearing on her latest request is scheduled for May 30.

"I just don't think I should live in fear," Gilbert told the newspaper. "When [the Rays] go out of town, I come home. When they're at home, I go stay with my mother. I shouldn't have to live like that because he's a baseball player."

When approached by the newspaper before Tuesday night's game, Dukes declined to comment on Gilbert's allegations.

"I'm just going to play ball, that's it," Dukes told the newspaper. "I've got to go. I've got a video game to finish."

Dukes is batting .231 in his first major league season with eight home runs and 13 RBIs

The wife better hope Dukes doesn't find a warp whistle, otherwise she might not be long for this earth.

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

C'mon, the first thread is still on the front page!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

haahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
RedKingGold
College Starter

I love his quote. "I've got a video game to finish"
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
C'mon, the first thread is still on the front page!

Oops! Well...we'll the the two threads "Dukes" it out.

Ok, I'm done. I swear.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I love his quote. "I've got a video game to finish"

That's my freaking line in the other thread!

BAH!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

We need one of those "Every time you start a dupe thread, a kitten dies" pics.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

from rotoworld:

Quote:
A 17-year-old foster girl living with a relative of Elijah Dukes told police the Devil Rays outfielder got her pregnant.

The girl, expected to give birth Nov. 5, told investigators she and Dukes had consensual sex on the living room sofa. She said Dukes got angry when she and another person confronted him about the pregnancy. "Yeah, we sat down and told him and he got mad and threw a Gatorade at me," she told investigators. Dukes is already known to have had at least five children with four different women. This is yet another incident that could add to the Rays' desire to ship him out of town.
Source: St. Petersburg Times
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
from rotoworld:

Read that earlier. I also read somewhere that if this is true, it would be his 6th child with 5 different women.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
dervack
College Prospect

Apparently, he's trying to give Shawn Kemp a run for his money.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Read that earlier. I also read somewhere that if this is true, it would be his 6th child with 5 different women.

If he could only hit a baseball that well...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Apparently, he's trying to give Shawn Kemp a run for his money.

Was Kemp that prolific at such a young age? Dukes is only 22 so he's got quite a few years of his prime left.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

from rotoworld:

Quote:
A 17-year-old foster girl living with a relative of Elijah Dukes told police the Devil Rays outfielder got her pregnant.

The girl, expected to give birth Nov. 5, told investigators she and Dukes had consensual sex on the living room sofa. She said Dukes got angry when she and another person confronted him about the pregnancy. "Yeah, we sat down and told him and he got mad and threw a Gatorade at me," she told investigators. Dukes is already known to have had at least five children with four different women.

I didn't read it anywhere, but I probably could have figured it out!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Heard part of a monologue on local Tampa radio. Didn't hear the whole bit, but apparently someone from the station or a paper asked him about it, and he was all, "she wanted it [sex], so what did you expect me to do?" Nice. This guy is a blemish.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Is this statuatory rape in that state?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

FLORIDA 18

The age of sexual consent is 16 for adults who are under 24 years of age,
or if the adult that is 24 years of age or older is married to the minor.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

"You dead, dawg. I ain't even [expletive]. Your kids, too."

What swear word fits here?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

"fucking". As in, "fucking around with you".

I have no problem believing that Elijah Dukes will kill a person someday. Likely a woman he's in a relationship with.

Last edited by Shkspr : 06-14-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Probably a new, really cool one.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

actually...the expletive is "bullshitting"
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd say it's fucking too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm going with "shittin"

As in, "You shittin' me Dawg?"
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, first of all "I ain't even fucking". Has anyone ever said that in their entire lives? And this is inherently incorrect. Elijah Dukes is fucking. That's why he has 4 1/2 kids.

"I ain't even shitting"? What? Is he dissapointed about some failed oral colonic?

Obviously, the answer is bullshitting. He was obviously inspired by the 2pac song "I Ain't Mad At Cha":

"She got a playa for life,
and that's no bullshittin"

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-15-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #24
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I've heard both I ain't even fucking and I ain't even shitting used the same way.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm solidly in the "fuckin' " camp...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #26
flounder
High School Varsity

I think we need a poll.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuckin' makes no sense whatsoever. It's either shittin' or bullshittin'. End of [expletive] story
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
Ksyrup

I've never heard fucking or shitting without "you" at the end of it, but the way everything eventually gets shortened, I don't doubt people say it that way.

My dad's favorite "shittin' you" saying is, "I wouldn't shit you, you're my favorite turd."
Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

No it's fucking as in "I ain't even fucking around" as earlier indicated. It's shorthand, but it's still there.

fucking around derived from joking around, playing around, kidding around, etc.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #30
Ksyrup

Same concept, though. I've only ever heard fucking around, not just fucking. But it doesn't surprise me.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Can't we just agree that there's a great chance that what he said made no sense at all?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #32
Ksyrup

Here's another fill in the blank test:

"I should not be the only one suspended," Colon told the Free Press. "Why should I be suspended when they were calling me a [expletive] to my face?"
Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
"I should not be the only one suspended," Colon told the Free Press. "Why should I be suspended when they were calling me a [expletive] to my face?"
Colon?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #34
Ksyrup

Dukes sounds off at critics
The outfielder lets loose on a radio call-in. The distraction irks Rays officials.

By MARC TOPKIN
Published June 20, 2007

PHOENIX - Elijah Dukes had apparently heard enough. So at 7 a.m., from 1,800 miles away, the troubled Devil Rays outfielder decided to speak up.

And frustrated team officials may be ready to say goodbye.

Speaking angrily and loudly, Dukes called Tampa radio station WDAE-AM 620 early Tuesday and spent 13 minutes addressing - for the first time - some of the allegations leveled against him recently.

Speaking to hosts Ian Beckles and Ron Diaz, Dukes blasted estranged wife NiShea Gilbert for "stealing" his money and said if he hadn't left her "he'd be in prison because she provoked me." Dukes, who is the father of at least five children by four women, acknowledged sexual relations with a then-17-year-old foster child but denied he is the father of her unborn child. He passionately defended his mother against claims of drug use.

And he defiantly said that no matter how many "hyenas" try, "Nobody's going to bring me down with all these accusations they're making about me."

Team officials were not pleased that Dukes created another distraction and seem poised to accelerate efforts to trade or release the 22-year-old rookie.

And the desire for Dukes to depart may be mutual. His mother said in a later radio interview Tuesday that "all he wants to do is move on."

Executive vice president Andrew Friedman said frustration over the situation extends to all levels of the organization, presumably including principal owner Stuart Sternberg. A number of players and coaches have made their feelings known in private conversations with management.

"There's disappointment and frustration," Friedman said. "I think it's been a difficult thing because it's shifted the focus. There's a lot of very positive things going on that are not getting their due notice because of this, so as a result of that I'm sure that a lot of people are very frustrated. And that extends all the way throughout the organization."

Friedman, who met privately with Dukes on Tuesday, said the Rays want to "minimize the distraction" and are "eager for the focus to shift back."

Dukes, who was playing cards in the clubhouse before Tuesday's game, declined to explain his reasons for going public when approached by a St. Petersburg Times reporter, saying: "F--- you, you know I'm not talking to you."

It was not clear exactly why Dukes called the radio station, especially at a time when most major-leaguers are about halfway through their sleep cycle after a night game. But he somehow became aware that an earlier caller said Dukes had told him during an anger management session that Dukes' mother had smoked crack cocaine. He may also have heard that the station said it wanted to hear from Dukes.

When Dukes first called, he was loud, angry and cursing. Justin Pawlowski, the show's executive producer, spent four minutes calming him down so they could put him on the air: "He was saying, 'You guys have got it all wrong. You don't know the whole story,'" Pawlowski said. "It took a while to calm him down."

Though Dukes made several points, he also raised more concern, and not just from Devil Rays officials.

"If he was trying to help his case, I don't think he did," said Diaz, one of the show's hosts. "I feel bad for him. He has to be under an immense amount of pressure right now, and I'm not talking about baseball."

Talk radio has been something of a Dukes family affair this week, with at least five relatives and associates airing their views. His mother, Phyllis, called the station after Dukes spoke, defending her son from accusations of fathering more children by pointing out: "I can say I'm pregnant from Carl Crawford, okay? And you know that's hearsay."

Among other things, Dukes said:

- He has "made strides" in controlling his anger problem, but admitted that if he hadn't left Gilbert it might have gotten the best of him. "I know if I stayed with her I'd physically be in prison because she provoked me by hitting me, " Dukes said. "She done hit me across the head with a picture frame and everything. I hate that because I told my kids I would never go back to jail for no domestic violence."

- He said he could use guidance and "somebody to talk to" but insisted he did not need professional help. "How many times have I ever shot someone?" Dukes said. "How many times have I ever stabbed someone? How many times have I gone to jail for brutally beating someone? Never. I went to jail for breaking a remote control (in a previous domestic case)."

- He "did something one time" with the then-17-year-old foster child in his step-grandmother's house but knew "for a fact" that, based on the timing, he was not the father.

- He did not address previous accusations of death threats against Gilbert and their two children because "I'm not one of those people who have to get even. Just like the Bible says, if you know it's not true, you don't have to say anything and I haven't been saying anything."

- He promised once his own father went to jail that he would be a good father and do everything he could for his own kids, and that he has.

Though Dukes blamed many of his domestic disputes on money, Gilbert, who filed for divorce last week after receiving a one-year restraining order against Dukes, said that was not the case. Gilbert, a teacher who said she has no summer income, said she had to file for public assistance, and has a hearing about temporary child support and alimony on July 13.

"If he's done so much for his kids, then why do I have to worry about where their next meal is coming from?" she said. "If he does so much for his kids, then why are some of the other mothers struggling too?"

As for Dukes' claim that Gilbert provoked him: "I guess everybody provokes him because a lot of people make him angry."

Times staff writers Eduardo A. Encina and Abbie VanSickle contributed to this report.
[Last modified June 20, 2007, 02:29:50]
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #35
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Dukes, who was playing cards in the clubhouse before Tuesday's game, declined to explain his reasons for going public when approached by a St. Petersburg Times reporter, saying: "F--- you, you know I'm not talking to you."

Talk about putting it lightly.

Last edited by Logan : 06-20-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"She done hit me across the head with a picture frame and everything. I hate that because I told my kids I would never go back to jail for no domestic violence."
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola,

This dude needs a reality show soooooooo badly.