Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(REL) Student planned to napalm protesters at Falwell funeral

.... I'm sorry, I have to do it. Guess this gives new meaning to the phrase "Religious Flame War", huh?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3201543&page=1

Bomb Plot Thwarted at Falwell's Funeral

Student Arrested With Homemade Bombs, Three Other Suspects Sought

Even in death, the Rev. Jerry Falwell rouses the most volatile of emotions.

A small group of protesters gathered near the funeral services to criticize the man who mobilized Christian evangelicals and made them a major force in American politics -- often by playing on social prejudices.

A group of students from Falwell's Liberty University staged a counterprotest.

And Campbell County authorities arrested a Liberty University student for having several homemade bombs in his car.

The student, 19-year-old Mark D. Uhl of Amissville, Va., reportedly told authorities that he was making the bombs to stop protesters from disrupting the funeral service. The devices were made of a combination of gasoline and detergent, a law enforcement official told ABC News' Pierre Thomas. They were "slow burn," according to the official, and would not have been very destructive.

"There were indications that there were others involved in the manufacturing of these devices and we are still investigating these individuals with the assistance of ATF [Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms], Virginia State Police and FBI. At this time it is not believed that these devices were going to be used to interrupt the funeral services at Liberty University," the Campbell County Sheriff's Office said in a release.

Three other suspects are being sought, one of whom is a soldier from Fort Benning, Ga., and another is a high school student. No information was available on the third suspect.

Authorities were alerted to the potential bomb plot after relative of Uhl called to say that he had homemade bombs in his possession. Officials searched Uhl's car where they found five incendiary devices in the trunk.

Uhl is currently being held under no bond at the Campbell County Adult Detention Center.

Thousands Came to Honor Man Who Mobilized Christian Evangelicals

Falwell, often called the father of the Christian conservative movement, died suddenly last week at age 73.

Thousands flocked to the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Va., which Falwell founded 50 years ago, for the funeral service.

The church had just 35 parishioners when Falwell began preaching there in 1956. At Tuesday's service, its 6,000 seats were filled by people who'd come to say goodbye.

"Almost every single person gathered here today is really here because on a real and personal level you and Dr. Jerry Falwell were friends," said Ronald S. Godwin, executive vice president of Liberty University.

To the end, though, Falwell inspired strong feelings. He launched an evangelical movement that changed the face of American religion and politics and catapulted him to national prominence from his "Old Time Gospel Hour" television show.

Falwell's Moral Majority, a group he founded in the 1970s, broke new ground in mobilizing evangelical Christians in the political arena, helping Ronald Reagan win the White House in 1980.

As time went on, however, Falwell's influence waned, partly due to his own penchant for controversy.

But his comments in the days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks made it nearly impossible for mainstream politicians to associate with him.

No national Republicans attended Tuesday's funeral, including none of the GOP presidential candidates. All said they were too busy.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Falwell's Moral Majority, a group he founded in the 1970s, broke new ground in mobilizing evangelical Christians in the political arena, helping Ronald Reagan win the White House in 1980.
[...]
No national Republicans attended Tuesday's funeral, including none of the GOP presidential candidates. All said they were too busy.

There's a lesson in this.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

Nothing says I am a good Christian like throwing homemade napalm on people.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I guess it never occurred to him that throwing napalm bombs at the protesters might disrupt the service more then the protesters.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
timmynausea
College Starter

It reminds me of that story about how Jesus took a few fishes and loaves and made napalm.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Turn the other cheek, to shade your eyes from the explosion.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hmmm, no mention in the article of how the Patriot Act has saved us from another terror attack by a group of religious extremists.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-23-2007 at 06:40 PM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm no supporter of what Falwell stands for, but isn't the first problem that it is now seems to be a perfectly acceptable thing nowadays to picket funerals? Have some class and make your point in some other way.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hmmm, no mention in the article of how the Patriot Act has saved us from another terror attack by a group of religious extremists.

Yeah, I dislike playing the race/religion card, but it seems to fit here.

If this had been an Arab-American Muslim kid with napalm planning to use it on people who wanted to disrupt a religious service, it would be the biggest story of the year. The word "terrorism" would have already been uttered on FoxNews eleventy-billion times.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-24-2007 at 07:42 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
There's a lesson in this.

Live by politics, die by politics (somewhat literally).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm no supporter of what Falwell stands for, but isn't the first problem that it is now seems to be a perfectly acceptable thing nowadays to picket funerals? Have some class and make your point in some other way.

I agree with you. When did this become a popular thing to do?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

since Fred Phelps did it at the funeral for Matthew Sheppard. That's the first thing I can think of.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm willing to make an slight exception if the Fred Phelps band was his intended target. Otherwise, shit, wtf are you thinking?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I never knew picketing at funerals was perfectly acceptable.

It seems funeral picketers are generally abhorred and apparently now greeted with napalm.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yeah, I dislike playing the race/religion card, but it seems to fit here.

If this had been an Arab-American Muslim kid with napalm planning to use it on people who wanted to disrupt a religious service, it would be the biggest story of the year. The word "terrorism" would have already been uttered on FoxNews eleventy-billion times.

You do understand that we only use the word "terrorist" for people we don't like, right?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
You do understand that we only use the word "terrorist" for people we don't like, right?

Soo.. we like the napalm kid?
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

An American kid can be a criminal or be "disturbed", but you will never see him described as a terrorist...unless he recently converted to Islam. "Terrorist" isn't really a word that describes anything, it is a word meant to evoke an emotional response.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I agree.
Picketing a funeral is about the most disgusting thing you can do, no mater who's it is.
I guess that is the whole point, the shock value.

It is getting to be a very sad world we live in.
I keep hoping it is just me getting older, but I really don't think so.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 05-24-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm willing to make an slight exception if the Fred Phelps band was his intended target. Otherwise, shit, wtf are you thinking?

Interestingly enough, it might be the Phelps guys since they were planning a protest...

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2007/m...t_westboro_ba/
hxxp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273313,00.html
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
An American kid can be a criminal or be "disturbed", but you will never see him described as a terrorist...unless he recently converted to Islam. "Terrorist" isn't really a word that describes anything, it is a word meant to evoke an emotional response.

Aren't they calling the radical ecological groups terrorists now?