Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

The next two sport athlete?

As some of you might know Norte Dame WR/pitcher Jeff Samardzija recently was drafted, and signed, by the Cubs. He is going to play football this fall for the Irish and then, most likely, will get drafted into the NFL. Most college football fans are pretty familiar with Samardzija's football ability but he also throws 98 so he has some tools on the diamond as well. It will be interesting to see if he continues playing both sports or chooses one after the NFL draft. Here is a long article from Baseball America on his situation. Anyway, we haven't had a two sport player in a few years and WR strikes me as a position that could miss some training camp and not be hurt too much.
Quote:
So determined was Jeff Samardzija not to miss any games with the Boise Hawks that the righthander drove straight from Chicago to Boise this weekend.

Even though his contract wasn't finished and even though Samardzija isn't likely to pitch in a game for at least a week.

The Notre Dame receiving star--and Chicago Cubs' fifth-round draft pick--is equally determined to give baseball a real shot. At least until he has to return to South Bend for football practice the first week of August.

"I didn't want to miss any games," Samardzija said before the Hawks' season opener Monday night in Boise. "I'm not going to be here for that long, so I don't want to miss any. I want to be here for all of them. I made a point to drive out here, even if things weren't ready to go yet. Maybe, hopefully, it will speed things up a little bit."

Samardzija has agreed to a reported five-year, $7.25 million contract with the Cubs. But he won't collect all that money unless he makes baseball his full-time job after the Notre Dame football season. Major League Baseball must still approve the contract.

The 6-foot-6 Samardzija, who set Notre Dame records in receiving yards and touchdowns last fall, is considered a first-round NFL draft pick in next spring's draft, though his status could change as underclassmen enter the '07 NFL draft class.

But the Cubs, who didn't have a second-, third- or fourth-round pick in this month's draft, believe Samardzija could be a baseball standout--if he devoted his time to the sport.

Samardzija's fastball has topped out at 99 mph and his slider is improving. He still must develop a reliable off-speed pitch.

"I don't know if he was a high risk. This is a guy that was throwing 98, up to 99 mph, the last game he pitched in the regionals," Cubs' farm director Oneri Fleita said. "You're talking about a guy that has got a lot of ability and really hasn't focused totally on baseball."

Samardzija isn't ready to do that just yet. He will return to Notre Dame for his senior football season before the end of the Hawks' season, meaning he has about six weeks--and six or seven starts--with Boise. Samardzija is just trying to have fun and take advantage of the opportunity. Irish football coach Charlie Weis blessed the move.

"Going into this whole thing I kind of wanted to go into both sports with open eyes and do the best I could in both of them and see where it goes," he said. "We're kind of in the middle of that right now."

It's been a long road. Samardzija began playing organized baseball and football at age 7, and hasn't stopped since. In three seasons with the Irish baseball teams, Samardzija went 21-6, including 8-2 this season.

Samardzija doesn't want to have choose now, either. He believes it's possible for him to play both sports professionally.

"It's as realistic as I try to make it," Samardzija said.
Obviously, it's not all in my hands, but as long as I get around the right people and take care of business--which is probably the biggest part--then hopefully things can work out."

The Cubs did not pressure Samardzija to give up football--yet. And that made a big difference to the potential Heisman Trophy candidate whose team could win the national championship.

"There are obviously teams out there that wouldn't have been supportive of it. That means a lot to me," he said. "Down the road, when I might have to weigh my options and what I want to do, it means a lot and definitely goes a long way."

The Cubs are hoping they can eventually convince Samardzija to ditch football in favor of baseball. The club, which drew the ire of MLB for their largesse in the signing bonus department, was not scared off by his football commitments.

"Anytime we get a chance to add some athletes like Jeff to the inventory, we're certainly going to do that," Fleita said.

The Hawks will likely use Samardzija as a starting pitcher, but because the team plans on using a piggyback system with its starters, Samardzija could end up pitching in relief at times.

The current plan is for Samardzija to throw some batting practice and perhaps work in a simulated game while his contract is worked out. Once Samardzija works his arm back into game shape, the Hawks' coaching staff, the Cubs' minor league staff and Samardzija will discuss his exact role.

The Cubs hope his six-week taste of professional baseball is enough--along with the money--to whet his appetite for more work on the diamond.

"He's probably trying to learn a little bit about us and learn a little bit about professional baseball. And we're going to try to learn about him. Hopefully in the end, it's a great relationship," Fleita said. "That's how you can look at it--it'll be six weeks of trying to establish a relationship.

"It's not ordinary that a guy gets to choose, but has that opportunity and God blessed him with those abilities. Hopefully, in the end, he'll become a Cub."

dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
SnDvls
Pro Starter

ASU has two guys who could be doing the same in a few years.

WR/OF Michael Jones just got his first shot at college baseball in the last few weeks of the season and was a backup last year in football, but more is expected out of him this year upcoming in both sports.
and
Kyle Williams (son of White Sox GM) who will be a freshmen this year and is expected to play both sports...probally RS in football this year.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Tigercat
College Starter

Someone interesting to look out for: Xavier Carter.

First track athlete since Jesse Owens(!) to win 4 golds in the NCAA championships. He was also a 5 star WR recruit for the LSU football team. If he can ever get his hands in check he will blow by people. (This kid is 6'3 195 and still the fastest college track athlete in the nation)

Xavier is THE future for US track, and its been decades since there was a truly elite track athlete that played a major sport at the same time.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Someone interesting to look out for: Xavier Carter.

First track athlete since Jesse Owens(!) to win 4 golds in the NCAA championships. He was also a 5 star WR recruit for the LSU football team. If he can ever get his hands in check he will blow by people. (This kid is 6'3 195 and still the fastest college track athlete in the nation)

Xavier is THE future for US track, and its been decades since there was a truly elite track athlete that played a major sport at the same time.

he was very impressive this year that is for sure. I don't follow T&F, but I have heard of him on an ASU football board of all places.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
saldana
Pro Starter

i doubt the cubs will allow this....every other time it has happened it was a position player..they arent going to pay a guy 7.5 million a year as a pitcher and then let him spend the offseason getting tatooed by safeties running patterns over the middle.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Tigercat
College Starter

Wow, just an hour after my post, Carter decided to go pro in track and just concentrate on running. Shame as a football fan, a guy with that size and that speed only comes around once in, well, they never come around. But good for the USA and the Olympics.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If he's good, i'm sure Samardzija will follow the money and sign that big baseball deal. You can make more money in one contract than you may ever in the NFL.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
JS19
College Prospect

As much as I love baseball, I never got in to the draft as I have with the NFL. Obviously I know how it works and all, and im sure many of you would agree that it's probably the hardest sport to draft for, but for a 5th round pick to get 7.25M, just seemed a little high to me. Like I said, I dont know everything there is to know about the MLB draft, but I thought only the 1st rounders and maybe some 2nd round guys got this kind of money.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
i doubt the cubs will allow this....every other time it has happened it was a position player..they arent going to pay a guy 7.5 million a year as a pitcher and then let him spend the offseason getting tatooed by safeties running patterns over the middle.

It is 7.5 total, with all the bonuses, not 7.5 million a year. There isnt a player drafted that would be given 7.5 million a year for 5 years
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Wow, just an hour after my post, Carter decided to go pro in track and just concentrate on running. Shame as a football fan, a guy with that size and that speed only comes around once in, well, they never come around. But good for the USA and the Olympics.
I can’t think of anyone that actually continued to compete in Track and Field and a major sport at the same time. Once they go with the major sport they can’t really justify doing both, from a financial perspective.

Willie Gault quit sprinting when he joined the Bears, Renaldo Neamiah quit when he joined the 49ers, Michael Carter quit putting when he joined the 49ers, etc. Seems like the only ones that stick with track are the ones that can’t get a big payday from a pro team.

Now, none of the guys I mentioned other than Neamiah were dominant superstars and Neamiah was past his prime in track. I guess Xavier sees a potential big endorsement payout going the track route versus a maybe in football. I guess this is a pretty rare situation as not many track athletes have huge endorsement potential. Being a track guy, I hope he hits it huge on the track side.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

99 my ass. I found it hilarious that the Cubs scout even says 99 in his quotes. I mean really
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
If he's good, i'm sure Samardzija will follow the money and sign that big baseball deal. You can make more money in one contract than you may ever in the NFL.

You might want to talk to Drew Henson about this. I reckon he lost quite a bit of money when he decided to sign with the Yankees instead of persuing his football career. Sure, he got paid when he signed (decent money indeed), but assuming his college career continued in the direction it was going, Henson would have likely been a top 10 (perhaps even Top 5) pick in the NFL draft. His signing bonus alone would have blown away what he got from the Yankees.

It's certainly true that a good baseball player can make a lot more money than a good football player, but I think you have to look at potential. I have no idea how good a baseball prospect Samardzija is, but I know he's been discussed as a first round NFL pick.

There is an element of risk here.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Yeah, I agree.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
You might want to talk to Drew Henson about this. I reckon he lost quite a bit of money when he decided to sign with the Yankees instead of persuing his football career. Sure, he got paid when he signed (decent money indeed), but assuming his college career continued in the direction it was going, Henson would have likely been a top 10 (perhaps even Top 5) pick in the NFL draft. His signing bonus alone would have blown away what he got from the Yankees.

It's certainly true that a good baseball player can make a lot more money than a good football player, but I think you have to look at potential. I have no idea how good a baseball prospect Samardzija is, but I know he's been discussed as a first round NFL pick.

There is an element of risk here.

Yeah, but this guy isn't a QB. I know that some receivers do make bank, however.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Yeah, but this guy isn't a QB. I know that some receivers do make bank, however.

This is true. However, as far as his rookie contract go, it's all pretty much slotted by where he was picked in the draft. Position is pretty much irrelevant. Obviously the value of any subsequent contracts will be influenced by his position.

Again, I think it really comes down to how good a baseball prospect he is. He could hang around for years in the minors and never make that much money. If he goes to the NFL and is a first round pick, he's guaranteed good money initially. And if he turns out to be even serviceable NFL receiver, a third WR or what have you, he'll stake make quite a nice amount of coin.

It just seems to me that the odds of a 5th round pick in baseball making serious money are far longer than the odds of a 1st round pick in football making serious money.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
It just seems to me that the odds of a 5th round pick in baseball making serious money are far longer than the odds of a 1st round pick in football making serious money.

The baseball draft is worlds different than football or basketball when it comes to draft position. A guy like Samardzija has first round talent but no team would pick him in the first round because of his football potential. There was no indication one way or the other that he was going to sign a pro baseball contract when he was drafted, just the risk that the Cubs were willing to take.

You see it a lot with high school players who teams think are heavily leaning towards college. Locally, I remember that Mark Teixeira coming out of high school was a definite 1st round talent but because it was believed he was going to Georgia Tech he wasn't drafted until the 9th round by Boston. The Red Sox tried to give him a sweet deal but it wasn't sweet enough and he went to college. But it was entirely possible that they could have blown him over with a deal, drafting him in the 9th round but giving him 1st round money.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
scooper
College Benchwarmer

He's a better football player than baseball. Bully for the Cubs, but when all is said and done, if the Shark has another year like last year, he'll be in the NFL, not the minor leagues. And his contract will be larger than $7.5 over its life.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm happy for him, because you have to appreciate a guy who had no shot under one coach and another coach comes in, gives him a shot and he takes his opportunity and shines. He was just on Cold Pizza and he sounds like a good kid.

I think that he'll probably try to do both for a little while and I don't blame him. Not many guys have been able to do that and so, it'd be cool to see him try it, so long as he doesn't hurt himself too bad. And the fact that he's a pitcher, actually makes it a bit more interesting because none of the other 2-sport guys who played baseball were.

At least, anyone notable (I know that the Jays had a tall kid who played in the NBA and then pitched for them..but not at the same time) whose done it in recent memory.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
He's a better football player than baseball. Bully for the Cubs, but when all is said and done, if the Shark has another year like last year, he'll be in the NFL, not the minor leagues. And his contract will be larger than $7.5 over its life.

True. But that sure is some pretty good pizza money for your last year in college, no?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper

He's doing a pretty good job of hedging his bet either way. If he plays himself into first round NFL money, then for the short term it's a better direction. If he's more like a 3rd rounder, he might be better off to take the baseball trek for a few years. Figure if he stays in shape, the NFL will still be there for him in 3 years if he's not in the majors by then.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not really suprised that nobody took Samardzija, but I would have thought that someone with a 7th round comp pick may have bitten on him. Figure that this guy is still first round talent, maybe he gets Steve Blass Disease this season or something. Cubs have a track record of ruining pitchers too, I think he was still worth a shot in the late 7th.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm not really suprised that nobody took Samardzija, but I would have thought that someone with a 7th round comp pick may have bitten on him. Figure that this guy is still first round talent, maybe he gets Steve Blass Disease this season or something. Cubs have a track record of ruining pitchers too, I think he was still worth a shot in the late 7th.

yeah, but you'd only hold his rights for 1 year if i'm correct. What are the odds that he gives up baseball by the end of this football season?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, but this is the same draft that a glorified kick returner went in the first round. Seems the GMs do a lot less work than Mel Kiper.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
yeah, but you'd only hold his rights for 1 year if i'm correct. What are the odds that he gives up baseball by the end of this football season?

That is true, but I do think that a lot can change in a year. Say he sucks this year in the minors.....badly. Whomever Detroit, for instance, took with in the late 7th, probably won't make the team. At least this way you get a chance to talk to the dude a couple times, maybe build some sort of future relationship with him. Plus it gives Millen another first round WR that only costs him a 7th.

Last edited by stevew : 04-30-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #25
Atocep
Coordinator

It would have been a wasted pick. Samardzija's deal with the cubs requires him to play baseball and he didn't get all the money up front. The Cubs are spreading it out evenly over the life of the contract to protect themselves.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #26
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper View Post
He's a better football player than baseball.
That may not be the case in a year or so.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I dunno if it would've been a wasted pick. I mean, football season starts in enough time for him to get into camp to help a team a little bit, especially since the minor league season ends at the end of August/early September.

I mean, why not dangle the opportunity to at least try to make a team. It'd be worth it, since he doesn't need the money and it would be just a way for him to get it out of his system.

Because say what you want, playing against USC at the Coliseum one year to being on the bus against the South Bend Silverhawks the next..is one hell of a drop, even if you are a millionaire.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I dunno if it would've been a wasted pick. I mean, football season starts in enough time for him to get into camp to help a team a little bit, especially since the minor league season ends at the end of August/early September.

I mean, why not dangle the opportunity to at least try to make a team. It'd be worth it, since he doesn't need the money and it would be just a way for him to get it out of his system.

Because say what you want, playing against USC at the Coliseum one year to being on the bus against the South Bend Silverhawks the next..is one hell of a drop, even if you are a millionaire.

Oh, I'm more along the line of thinking that you let him play this season out in the minors, let him do the winter ball thing if he wants. And then see how he feels around next march, right before you lose his rights. If you lose them, at least hopefully you've established enough of a positive relationship that he calls you when it's time to put the pads and helmet back on.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #29
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He's under contract to play baseball only, though. He would have to find a way to get the Cubs to let him out of his current deal, which considering the flak they got for giving a 5th round pick that kind of money, I don't see happening.

Whether he deserves it or not, Baseball America has him rated as their 4th best prospect and the cubs were talking him up all spring. There's no way they're going to let him out of his contract to play football.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Where did you read that it's a baseball-only deal? I know the deal is structured so that he wouldn't want to leave because the full value of it forces him to play baseball all the way through. But....I didn't ever read of a specific clause to PREVENT him from playing baseball. Seems that would be unprecedented and well...hard to have enforced back when he was still likely to consider either 1) doing both or 2) testing his options.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, I just read this (from Baseball America)

Quote:
As a show of his commitment to baseball, Samardzija insisted on a contract provision that will require him to return his entire bonus if he leaves the Cubs before his contract expires.

So he'd have to give back $2.5 million if he didn't complete his contract. But it doesn't bar him from playing football. Deion Sanders managed to make it work. He's a free agent (as far as the NFL) now and so, it naturally works to his advantage if he wanted to dabble a bit in football in the off-season. And if Jeremy Bloom could get drafted, there is no reason to think that the Shark wouldn't at least manage to MAKE a team (I know Bloom didn't make the Eagles out of camp.)

He also has a no-trade clause.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also, his deal with the Cubs isn't a major league deal.

Quote:
* Bonus: $2.5 million.
* 2007 salary: $300,000 ($380,000 if he reaches the majors).
* 2008 salary: $600,000 ($850,000 if he reaches the majors).
* 2009 salary: $1.3 million.
* 2010 salary: $2.5 million.
* 2011 salary: $2.8 million.
* 2012 club option: $3.0 million (he can opt out if arbitration-eligible).
* 2013 club option: $3.5 million (he can opt out if arbitration-eligible).
Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, his deal with the Cubs isn't a major league deal.

He's on the 40 man, which I believe indicates a major league deal.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Where did you read that it's a baseball-only deal? I know the deal is structured so that he wouldn't want to leave because the full value of it forces him to play baseball all the way through. But....I didn't ever read of a specific clause to PREVENT him from playing baseball. Seems that would be unprecedented and well...hard to have enforced back when he was still likely to consider either 1) doing both or 2) testing his options.

Not necessarily baseball only. If he decides to play football is voids his baseball contract and he has to pay his signing bonus back (he got $2.5 million up front).

He's made it pretty clear he doesn't have any desire to play pro football. He wants to play baseball and the Cubs stacked the contract in a way in which it makes it all but impossible for him to play both. They made him choose, baseball or football.

Quote:
Chicago announced Friday that it had signed Samardzija to a five-year major league contract worth a guaranteed $10 million. A devoted Cubs fan who grew up in northwest Indiana, he also received a full no-trade clause as part of the deal—unprecedented for a player of his experience. The contract also includes a $2.5 million bonus, several escalator clauses tied to awards voting and all-star berths and a pair of team options worth a total of $6.5 million for 2012-13.
But money was not the deciding factor, said Samardzija, whom various sources projected to go in the first or second round of the April NFL draft.
"I did have a love for football and obviously that's no longer going to take place," Samardzija said. "But the point I want to get across is that baseball is my first love. I've been playing it my whole life. It just doesn't get the attention football does.
"I understand what comes with this decision, and I'm comfortable with it."
As a show of his commitment to baseball, Samardzija insisted on a contract provision that will require him to return his entire bonus if he leaves the Cubs before his contract expires.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

From the Baseball America article:

Quote:
The Cubs initially attempted to sign Samardzija to a series of one-year option contracts, which would have allowed him to make $7.25 million had the team picked up each of the options. But Major League Baseball refused to approve a minor league deal structured in that fashion, and Chicago didn't want to give him a major league contract.

Mark Prior is the last Chicago pitcher to get a major league deal when he signed in the draft. And we all know how well that went. I think that was the apprehension here.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, then i guess 40 man just jumpstarts the option process. So 07-09 he can be optioned to the minors, '10 onward he has to pass through waivers to go down then.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He's on the 40 man, which I believe indicates a major league deal.

Correct, they had to put him on the 40 man roster because he signed a major league contract.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Hmm, then i guess 40 man just jumpstarts the option process. So 07-09 he can be optioned to the minors, '10 onward he has to pass through waivers to go down then.

Right. OOTP confuses this too and thinks that putting a guy on the 40-man roster means that he's on a major league deal. And it's just not true.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Correct, they had to put him on the 40 man roster because he signed a major league contract.

Nope. If a guy isn't on the 40-man roster, he's eligible for the Rule 5 draft after three years of service.

That's why you put a guy on that roster. And those are the only guys eligible for callups after September 1st when ML rosters expand to 40.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope. If a guy isn't on the 40-man roster, he's eligible for the Rule 5 draft after three years of service.

That's why you put a guy on that roster.

The article I quoted above is from BA in January. It says he signed a Major League contract. There would be no other reason to have a guy thats in A ball on the 40 man roster otherwise.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah I just read it again. We're quoting the same article. It seems in one part of the article, they say his deal wasn't major league. Then they say it's not.

This ESPN article doesn't say it's a major league deal.

Not sure it matters. It's not like he's going anywhere. He'll either be a Cubs pitcher or he'll give the game up if he has problems with it down the road and by then, football probably won't be an option anymore. At least, not like it is now.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #42
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah I just read it again. We're quoting the same article. It seems in one part of the article, they say his deal wasn't major league. Then they say it's not.

This ESPN article doesn't say it's a major league deal.

Not sure it matters. It's not like he's going anywhere. He'll either be a Cubs pitcher or he'll give the game up if he has problems with it down the road and by then, football probably won't be an option anymore. At least, not like it is now.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter. Though with the way he's pitched since getting drafted he may want to give Josh Booty a call and get some advice on switching back to football.