Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Joe
Pro Starter

I hate airlines

There is nothing finer than getting your flight cancelled and being on hold for 3 1/2 hours (and counting).. damn, someone talk to me. Fuckers.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Try getting your bus cancelled and having to drop $100+ on a hotel room because the next one in 12 hours is cancelled too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

well I just found out my hotel has a no cancellation policy
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
well I just found out my hotel has a no cancellation policy
What a lie this is, and hotels are always trying to pull this shit.

Unless you have prepaid in advance your credit card has a cancellation policy. American Express will allow you to cancel your hotel reservation at any time. Master card and Visa have a 12 hour notice. Discover is around a day. This is what I read a few years ago at a place I worked.

Always try to use your American Express card for reservations. If you ever need to cancel a reservation you made with your card, you can call American Express and have them cancel it for you.

Last edited by 14ers : 02-24-2007 at 03:25 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Suck, man!
Where are (were?) you flying to? Will you be able to get another flight out sometime soon?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Suck, man!
Where are (were?) you flying to? Will you be able to get another flight out sometime soon?

/tk

From Minneapolis to DC. I think we are getting 18 inches of snow or somewhere around there.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
What a lie this is, and hotels are always trying to pull this shit.

Unless you have prepaid in advance your credit card has a cancellation policy. American Express will allow you to cancel your hotel reservation at any time. Master card and Visa have a 12 hour notice. Discover is around a day. This is what I read a few years ago at a place I worked.

Always try to use your American Express card for reservations. If you ever need to cancel a reservation you made with your card, you can call American Express and have them cancel it for you.

This doesn't mean that American Express is "canceling" the reservation. In most cases, it means that they are paying your penalty for you. The hotels are not neccesarily lying - its not their job to know how your credit card works.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Joe is the new rkmsuf
Old 02-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Joe is the new rkmsuf

And rkmsuf is the new saldana.

knives out
Old 02-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
This doesn't mean that American Express is "canceling" the reservation. In most cases, it means that they are paying your penalty for you. The hotels are not neccesarily lying - its not their job to know how your credit card works.
This is wrong.

The contract I was reading that explained the type of notice guest were required was between the hotel and the credit card companys. If a business wants to be able to accept American Express, Visa Cards, Discover and etc... they have to sign a contract and follow rules to be able to collect payments for "No Shows".

If Visa has a policy requiring guest to give the motel at least a 12 hour notice for cancelations, and the hotel is telling people on the phone they need at least 48 hours notice to cancel a reservation; the Hotel is lying to the person.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
This is wrong.

The contract I was reading that explained the type of notice guest were required was between the hotel and the credit card companys. If a business wants to be able to accept American Express, Visa Cards, Discover and etc... they have to sign a contract and follow rules to be able to collect payments for "No Shows".

If Visa has a policy requiring guest to give the motel at least a 12 hour notice for cancelations, and the hotel is telling people on the phone they need at least 48 hours notice to cancel a reservation; the Hotel is lying to the person.

I won't speak for other hotels, but I know the hotel I work for has negotiated agreements with the credit card companies. I have discovered that some credit card companies have different policies with their guests than they do with us - so the guest can, in fact, cancel their reservation with the credit card company, but not the hotel. In that case the cc company pays us, and collects nothing from the guest.

knives out
Old 02-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
This is wrong.

If Visa has a policy requiring guest to give the motel at least a 12 hour notice for cancellations, and the hotel is telling people on the phone they need at least 48 hours notice to cancel a reservation; the Hotel is lying to the person.

As another hotel man, I can also assure you that negotiations between hotels and credit card companies are not usually that complex, and not that detailed.

The credit card company wins in that most hotels have strict cancellation policies (especially the day of), because most card holders won't challenge the policy (and shouldn't, they should be informed in advance/ask of the cancellation policy, its not the hotel's fault the airline screwed up the transportation, should the hotel pay by suffering in their inventory?) Since almost every charge for a room not used goes unchallenged, it means more money in and out of accounts. Credit card companies don't win by trying to overly influence hotel cancellation policies.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Joe
Pro Starter

Ok, I finally got through and they put me on a Monday flight.

My itinerary on their website now shows a Sunday flight, a Monday flight, and a return flight. Hmm. The Sunday flight is one they switched me to after my initial flight was cancelled, and is the only flight out of Minneapolis on Sunday that hasn't been cancelled yet. It is an 8 AM flight, but later flights have been cancelled so what the hell. Also the connecting flight from Chicago on that 8 AM flight has also been cancelled.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Joe
Pro Starter

talked to the hotel, they let me change it from 2 nights to 1 night. I am get the other 4 nights of my trip free at a different hotel, so I'm not out any money. yay.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I avoid flying as much as possible because their customer service is just about the worst in the world besides the government.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-24-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
There is nothing finer than getting your flight cancelled and being on hold for 3 1/2 hours (and counting).. damn, someone talk to me. Fuckers.

Try getting your flight home on December 21st cancelled, and the earliest flight you could get rebooked on was December 24th.

Then there was the 3 hour delay in the terminal, followed by the 3 hour delay on the plane, followed by the car rental agency at 2 AM saying "Our computers just shut down, so you'll have to wait."

Or the always-exciting beautiful weather in both your departure and arrival cities, but a one hour delay on the ground before departing and a one hour delay on the ground upon arrival (because the gate was occupied).

Conversely, there was last week's "OK, we're going to delay your flight by 2 hours, so chill", followed by "our bad, the weather cleared up, so only a 1 hour delay", followed by "Run! everybody board", followed by (on the plane), "uh, our bad, apparently the airline called everyone and told them only about the original 2 hour delay, so some people are just now arriving at the airport, so we're going to wait here until they're all on board."

Yeah, I'm a little bitter.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote