Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2003, 04:17 PM   #101
JeeberD
General Manager

I hate it when revrew does this...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-23-2003 at 04:18 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #102
tucker342
Pro Starter

me to... Hey at least I finally won a game
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:29 PM   #103
revrew
Team Chaplain

Now, you mean hate it, like enjoyable groan, suspense hate it?

Or, hate like dislike, wish he wouldn't, makes my reading experience less enjoyable hate it?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #104
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

So Knoxville win? Or did Ajimba Haad make a miracle INT and return it 100 yards for a TD and Chicago wins? I'm thinking more of Knoxville Wins, Knoxville Wins!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:42 PM   #105
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I posted the ZFL favorite team in the Dynasty polls!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:08 PM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hey rev, I will be out of town w/o internet access next week. Don't dump me due to inactivity.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:25 PM   #107
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by revrew
Now, you mean hate it, like enjoyable groan, suspense hate it?

Or, hate like dislike, wish he wouldn't, makes my reading experience less enjoyable hate it?

Kind of a combination between the two. Cliffhangers can be kinda cool, yet I wanna know who freakin wins!

Old 05-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #108
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Hey rev, I will be out of town w/o internet access next week. Don't dump me due to inactivity.

OK, Swaggs. Should be a pretty safe week to be gone, anyways. We're going to finish up the season, go through the recap, and then talk expansion. Doubt we'll get to any drafting next week. But thanks for lettin' us know!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #109
digamma
Torchbearer

Oh man...just read this. I thought I had checked in late enough to get the results.
Oh well. Go Necks!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #110
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Well there goes my theory of him PMing you telling you that you won........ I know we are gonna lose. I'm a pessimist.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:17 AM   #111
revrew
Team Chaplain

Knoxville at Chicago continued...

"On the snap, the linebackers drop into zone coverage, the secondary stick with the bump-n-run, and the four D-lineman come crashing in. But Knoxville's backs stay in the backfield! It's an all-out protect package! There's only two receivers out there, and they are both going deep...

Jim Bob Jackson streaks on a fly and Ajimba Haad is all over him! Zach Urlacher and Ray Brown drop back to stop anything underneath. It's going to have to be a lob into one of the corners or nothing at all! Jackson Jackson and Deniable Cook duke it out for 10 steps, and then JJ cuts cross-field! He splits the two 'backers, trying to use them as a screen against his CB and makes a bee-line for the right corner.

'Thumbless' is buying time, but not even his RB shield can hold up against Jason Pepper, who is tossing Knoxville blockers aside like ragdolls! Thumbless can't wait any longer. He heaves the ball on a rainbow arc...to the right corner! Did the screen off the 'backers work?? Did Jackson make it free??

Yes! Jackson's got a step on Deniable! He's open if the ball gets there at just the right time! Deniable leaps...Jackson leaps...AND JACKSON COMES DOWN IN THE CORNER WITH BALL!! Both feet are in! Touchdown! Touchdown! The Eagles lose for the first time ever!! Knoxville wins, 28-21!!!"

Okay, breathe, revrew, breathe. Take it easy. They didn't get to watch the game. They may not find it as exciting as you did.

The championship ramifications of this game are incredible. Here's the breakdown...

Knoxville sits at 7-1 with wins over Chicago and San Antonio. Quite simply, a win over Portland (no easy task at 5-3) next week, and Knoxville wins the championship. If they lose, however, they will also necessarily lose the title.

Albuquerque sits at 6-2, but holds a win over Knoxville. Which means, if Knoxville, Chicago, and San Antonio all lose next week--and Albuquerque wins--the Isotopes would hold a share in the best record. Unfortunately for Albuquerque, Chicago plays San Antonio next week, so those teams cannot ALL lose. Contrary to what was previously thought, the Isotopes are officially out of the championship race. Incidentally, Those 2 hot dogs really did come back to bite the Isotopes: if it weren't for the loss to San Antonio, the Isotopes would only need a Chicago loss to clinch the championship.

Chicago, at 7-1 must face 7-1 San Antonio next week. If the Eagles lose, they will lose the championship. If the Eagles win AND Knoxville wins, they will both have 8-1 records, and they will be the ONLY teams at 8-1. But since Knoxville beat Chicago head-to-head, the Eagles would still lose the championship. If the Eagles win, AND Knoxville loses to Portland, the Eagles will win their second straight title.

San Antonio, at 7-1 must face 7-1 Chicago next week. If the Margaritas lose, they will lose the championship. If the Margaritas win AND Knoxville wins, they will both have 8-1 records, and they will be the ONLY teams at 8-1. But since Knoxville beat San Antonio head-to-head, the Margaritas would still lose the championship. If the Margaritas win, AND Knoxville loses to Portland, San Antonio will win the title.

Got that?"
Old 05-26-2003, 11:47 AM   #112
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ummm...yeah.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #113
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, sure.

Could you put that in English?

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #114
tucker342
Pro Starter

ahhh, it sounds just like the NFL!
Old 05-26-2003, 05:02 PM   #115
Katon
College Benchwarmer

BCS, more like.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:22 PM   #116
revrew
Team Chaplain

OK, plain English for those of you who don't speak abengplayoffishday.

If Knoxville wins, Knoxville is the champ.

If Knoxville loses, then the winner of Chicago/San Antonio is champ.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #117
NevStar
High School Varsity

If Knoxville loses & both kickers kill themselves before deciding a winner in the Chicago/San Antonio game, Albuquerque is the champ.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:29 AM   #118
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

While the Margaritas would be extatic to win the title, we are happy and humbled to even be mentioned in the same breath as Chicago and Knoxville. Hats off to both teams for an excellent season!
Old 05-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #119
revrew
Team Chaplain

Gosh, sachmo. I'm impressed with the display of good sportsmanship.

And now.....

Week 9
"We begin in Little Rock, where the Slick Willies (2-6) play host to the Birmingham Olympians (2-6) in a game that will clearly affect draft order next year.

Birmingham came out early with their punishing ground game. Little Rock's OLB Hobart Smith was blasted away on an OG Dionysus pull-sweep early in the first for the Olympian's first score. Artemis 7, Slick Willies 0.

But the Willies battled hard, and by half-time, the score was tied.

In the second half, the offenses picked it up, and the Olympians were able to run in two more scores. The Willies, however, pushed the ball across the line in the hands of WR Stuart Rembert and Rajah Saleem, and so at the end of 4 it was 21-21. Bring on the kickers!

Now, something plain silly broke out in Little Rock as the ZFL took the opportunity to poke fun at the NFL. Two goal-posts were set up on the field (the ZFL doesn't require them in the course of a typical game), and each kicker was given a 9-iron golf club. A line of footballs were set up on kicking tees, and two tubs were set up behind each goalpost. One tub was filled with salsa, the other with guacamole. Essentially, each kicker had 5 minutes to "chip" as many balls as possible through the uprights and into a vat of "dip" on the other side. 1 point for the salsa, 2 for the guac. Thus, the first "chip and dip" competition began!

Birmingham's LeBron James showed an affinity for putting the ball up in the air, but he struggle with a wicked slice, sending more than a few "wide right". Little Rock's Mr. Ed was a bit more accurate and sent 3 balls into the guac. The final score of the "Chip and dip" was Mr. Ed 9, LeBron 2. Thus Little Rock wins, 24-21."

"With L.A. (1-7) facing Fargo (0-8), more was on the line than just a high draft spot. Milwaukee's 0-9 record of futility from last season was in serious danger. Could L.A.'s offense finally find some momentum against the pathetic Crawfish? Or would the Stars fizzle out again and prevent the 'Fish from tying Milwaukee's record?

Rookie Crawfish RB Glutton for Punishment took several punishing blows from Star MLB stud, Brad Pitt, early. Fargo's running game screeched to a halt.

But veteran MLB Still Alive? showed L.A.'s running game that he's still got some gas in the tank, shutting down Adam Sandler and Jet Li.

In the second half, L.A. put backup rookie QB Bernie Mac in to get the youngster some snaps. Fargo's DE Chesty made sure he got more than that. 2 quick sacks had L.A. thinking they'd better put the vet back in. But when rookie OT Freddie Prinze, Jr. moved over to OT Harrison Ford's spot, Chesty more than met his match. On their second drive of the third, Bernie Mac hit Joe Pesci for a 7-yard touchdown strike. L.A. 7-0.

In the fourth the Crawfish, desperately trying to avoid the futility record, found a way to plunge FB Girl into the endzone to tie it up. Eventually, the gun sounded with the score tied 7-7. Bring on the kickers!

For the second time this week, overtime brought out the solo warriors. Little Val Kilmer for L.A. and Can't Remember What I Renamed Him for Fargo.

Two basketball hoops were brought out, one set at 7 feet, the other at 10. Each kicker was allowed 3 dunks on each hoop (the 10-footer had a trampoline set up to assist the kickers on their "ups"). L.A. locals Magic Johnson and Jack Nicholson, Fargo natives Bjorn Bjornssonson and Sven Carlssonsonson, and girlfriend-stealing Michael Jordan judged the contest. Little Val Kilmer's off-the-backboard, off his forehead because he missed it, off the backboard again, catch (alright! I caught it this time) and down won the contest scoring a 49. (MJ only gave it a 9 because Little Val Kilmer's girlfriend, he said, wasn't hot enough.) Thus, L.A. wins, 10-7, and Milwaukee must now share their record for futility with Fightless Crawfish. What a lovely gift for the new fans of Fargo."

"Albuquerque (6-2) invited the Milwuakee bratwurst, I mean Muscle Men, down for a BBQ. But would the Muscle Men comply with getting torched by Sizzlack? I don't think so.

Milwaukee's OT King Kong found DE Jimbo Jones a ripe banana for the pickin', pancaking the Isotope to make room for a fine day by rookie FB phenom Bulldozer. The dozer plowed for first down after first down on his way to a long, opening-drive touchdown.

When ABB'Q RB I.M. Stopgap tried to match the feat, Milwaukee's DE Rocky stopped Stopgap in his tracks.

Only a late first-half touchdown pass from Sizzlack to The Cheat preserved respectability for Albuquerque who went in to the locker room trailing 21-7.

But the second half was all Albuquerque as 'Kid Gruesome' lit up Muscle men He-Man and JeeberD while Milwaukee's offense stalled.

In the fourth, it looked like Albuquerque would take over for good, but a MW OLB Superman interception in the endzone stemmed the tide. Milwaukee ran out the clock to go into overtime, tied at 21. Bring out the kickers!

Three overtimes in one week. Good thing the ZFL prepares for 5.

Milwaukee's Hercules strutted out on the field, prepared to give some hell to Albuquerque's Duff Man. Carrying a (blunted) two handed sword and heavy armor, Hercules was ready to do battle. Duff Man chose the Atlantian net and trident, and the ancient Roman gladiators walked again!

Without a visible means for protecting himself, Hercules' only chance was to go on the offensive. Wide, sweeping sword-strikes kept Duff Man dodging and running. He couldn't get anywhere near that blade. Clearly, Hercules was the superior warrior, but Duff was working a strategy. As Milwaukee's big brute wore himself down, Duff pestered the Greek with the net. Then, just when Hercules had Duff Man trapped, Duff planted the trident's base in the ground and used it as a lever to catch and deflect Hercules' blow. It threw the brute off-balance, and Duff used the net to trip him over. Three tips of a trident suddenly square in his back convinced the humiliated Hercules to retire. Duff Man wins in a "herculean" effort, and ABBQ gets the W, 24-21."

"Now on to the big stuff. Chicago (7-1) vs. San Antonio (7-1). With a Knoxville loss, the winner of this game wins the title.

The game started off with a bang as former Margarita Jet gave his old team the what-for, catching a Vincent Steele pass 15 yards deep and sprinting the remaing 60 for a TD. Well, Chicago came to play.

On their first possession, San Antonio made good progress, pushing well past the 50 but stalling.

Chicago's Randy Steele found running difficult as San Antonio's MLB Ray Lewis blanketed the middle and DEs All Pro and Bookend covered the corners. But San Antonio's Metalhead and Ron Dayne also struggled against Chicago's dynamite (though aging) front 6.

Nonetheless, before the half, both S.A. FB Metalhead and Eagle RB Randy Steele managed to punch in a score.

At the end of the first half, Chicago, 14-7.

The third quarter belonged to the Defenses. Eagle Ajimba Haad recorded an INT, only to be followed by a Margarita CB Deflector pick. Jason Pepper notched up a pair of sacks, but Bookend recorded 2 1/2.

The fourth looked like much of the same. Time was running out for the Margaritas, still down by 7. But the mammoth Margaria O-line's constant pounding began to wear on the aging Eagles. Ron Dayne ran for 8, Metalhead for 11. WR Streak slanted for 13, and Handoff King scrambled for 9. Inside the redzone, the Margaritas were threatening to tie.

That is, until OLB Ray Brown blitzed from the blind side and tore the head off Margarita QB Handoff King. The ball fell loose and DE Ahmad Mohammed-Abdullah came up with it.

Deflated, the Margaritas saw victory slipping away. A Vincent Steele to WR Chad Spears touchdown pass put the nail in the coffin. Chicago wins, 21-7."

Now it's suddenly so clear. Knoxville vs. Portland. If the Sea Biscuits win, Chicago wins the championship--back-to-back.

But if the Rednecks win, the "As-of-yet-unnamed" trophy goes to Knoxville.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #120
revrew
Team Chaplain

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Portland, where the home-crowd favorite Portland Sea Biscuits (5-3) look to spoil the Knoxville Rednecks' (7-1) chances for a ZFL championship.

Today's matchup puts league leading rusher Antonio De La Tonio, who runs behind gargantuan guards Erik Flamebeard of the Neither Here Nor There and Tim the Troll, in the spotlight against an equally formidable running game with Robby 'Action' Jackson and Samuel 'The South Will Rise Again' Jackson, hauling the rock for the Rednecks.

How do you see the runners faring in today's matchup, Dan (Fouts)?"

"Frankly (Gifford), I don't think there will be anyone to stop them. Knoxville's 'backers, Tucker and Bubba Jackson will have their hands full with Tonio. And rookie MLB Sectoid Commander better grow two heads if he wants to watch Robby and Samuel Jackson. Wait. He can't do that, can he?"

"I'm, um, not sure, Dan. But that means the game falls on the back of rookie sensation and clear rookie-of-the-year, 'Thumbless' Jackson. Can Portland stop him?"

"'Thumbless', yes. But WR Jackson Jackson, no. 'Thumbless' has gotten way too much credit this year for what has been an incredible break out season for Jackson Jackson. JJ is head-and-shoulders the best receiver in the ZFL, and since Portland's CB Kosh has lost a step after his injury, I think Jackson is going to cause nightmares in the Portland secondary."

"Nightmares? Or dreams come true? What will happen in today's game? Let's go down to the field, where the teams are ready to begin."
Old 05-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #121
revrew
Team Chaplain

"As Dan Fouts predicted, the two running games tore each other to pieces. Antonio bruised the Jackson backers, pummeling Knoxville on 32 carries.

Meanwhile, Portland DEs Markus Augustus Flavius Adrius and Trogdor the Burninator could not containg the Jackson brothers on the outside. The Jack-backs scored 3 touchdowns on the day.

Unfortunately for Portland and Chicago, Dan was also right about Jackson Jackson. The 34-year-old CB Kosh could not keep up with the sprightly youngster, and JJ hauled in two scores of his own. Knoxville's A+ offense trashed Portland's B+ defense for an amazing 42 points.

Portland's talented young receiver, Manfred von Richthofen managed a fine game, grabbing 102 yards and a score, but JJ and the Jack-backs were too much for Portland, winning by the score of 42-28."

Congratulations, digamma and the Rednecks! Your draft-day trade nets you Rookie of the Year and a ZFL title!

And for those of you who were bemoaning Chicago's success over the last 2 years, keep in mind--Chicago is good and old. Knoxville is good and young. Only the Jack-backs and a few on defense are over 30. But 'Thumbless' is 22, and JJ is too. Look for Knoxville to be a dominant force in the ZFL for years to come.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #122
digamma
Torchbearer

Yee-haw! Go Necks!

I really didn't expect success from the trade to come this quickly. Now that revrew has jinxed me with the "dominant force for years to come" label, I'll see what I can do to not screw it up.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #123
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats to Knoxville...

Don't worry, though. Milwuakee will be up there to challenge you as soon as they find someone to replace me...

Old 05-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #124
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Congrats to the 'Necks!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #125
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Congratulations Knoxville!

Now I have to decide who I want to try to get rid of so I can move up in the draft.......
Old 05-27-2003, 02:52 PM   #126
revrew
Team Chaplain

Gentlemen, hang on before making plans for next year. The injury bug has plowed through the league like a plague through Europe. I'm going to start two new threads now that we've come to the close of this season. The first will be an offseason thread, where we can discuss awards, injuries, and draft issues.

The second will be an expansion thread, where we can discuss possible plans for expansion.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:59 PM   #127
tucker342
Pro Starter

congrats Knoxville!