Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

OT: Iraqi Democracy Project

I just wanted to share this with the board. There's a group of Iraqi-Americans living here in Oklahoma City that's spearheading a global effort by Iraqi refugees to return to Iraq, acting as ambassadors of democracy, in order to help foster that form of government in their home country. Several hundred representatives of the Iraqi Democracy Project will visit Washington, D.C. on June 20th to volunteer their services to the government.

One man has written a letter to President Bush, and I just wanted to share it with you.

Dear President George W. Bush,

As the President of the Middle Eastern American Association, the events of the war in Iraq have had a major significance and impact. We have a special concern with these matters because the tentacle of terrorism has touched our Murrah building here in Oklahoma City. Under your directives and superb leadership the United States has freed a tyrannically enslaved nation. Mr. President, we support you and stand ready to serve.

Mr. President, in 1991, the climate of our country was corrupt and oppressive. Saddam's entrenched power was both capricious and cavalier. I as well as the other refugees had to do something to make an initial effort to depose leadership. Young but committed to democracy, a group of us planned the uprising to oust Saddam's regime. Many of us paid the ultimate sacrifice and others were maimed and disfigured. Only a few were able to escape to later become refugees in the United States.

Being able to live in this country is a refugee's reaffirmation of all the human principles this land stands for. This country has given second chances as well as opportunities that may never have been within grasp. Our decisions were made years ago to risk whatever necessary to escape from Iraq. Know indeed that what you want is exactly what we want - life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Coming to Americaw was the rebirth of our spirits and perseverance, but most importantly our hopes.

A hope to allow our children to grow up in a nation where the individual is praised for his or her own special societal contribution. A hope to open and broaden our experiences for personal development and community participation. Also, a hope that the leadership and courage of the United States can restore a once proud and historical country.

I just thought that was a very nice sentiment.. and I wish them all the best.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

So...do you think the President will be receptive to the idea of letting Iraqi civilians immigrate into the U.S. as refugees from their war-wracked country?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote