Larry Brown to resign from Sixers

Check it out on espn.com.

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Monday, May 26

After six seasons, Brown to step down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Larry Brown will step down as coach of the Philadelphia 76ers after six seasons, two team sources said Monday.

The team called a 4 p.m. ET afternoon news conference, but would not say if Brown is leaving.

What will Allen Iverson's future in Philly be like without coach Larry Brown?

Brown reportedly is a candidate for coaching vacancies in Cleveland and Houston.

The sources, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, would not give Brown's reason for the move.

According to the Inquirer report, the decision was reached Sunday night, and a reason for the move was fatigue.

Leagues sources told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that with Brown stepping down, former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy and Portland coach Mo Cheeks would become candidates for the Sixers. Van Gundy is also the front-runner for the Houston Rockets' coaching job.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Sunday that the Rockets received permission to talk to Van Gundy, who is still under contract with the Knicks through July 31. Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson said he wanted to hire a coach with postseason success and an ability to teach young players.

LeBron James, expected to go to the Cavaliers with the top pick in the NBA draft on June 26, said he would be happy if Brown ended up in Cleveland.

"I think Larry Brown is a great teacher if we can get him,'' James said during an interview at halftime of TNT's broadcast of the San Antonio-Dallas playoff game Sunday night. "I consider myself a student of the game, so Larry Brown would be great.''

Brown was set to meet with Ed Snider, chairman of the 76ers' ownership group, two sources close to Brown told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Snider told the Philadelphia Daily News last week that the team needed to "move on'' if Brown had lost his enthusiasm for coaching the Sixers. Snider also told the paper he thought Brown was leaning toward not returning.

Brown had two years remaining on a contract that paid him $6 million per season. The contract prohibits him from coaching another NBA team if he leaves prematurely, a clause that would have to be waived by the team for him to take another NBA job.

Brown's job with the Sixers was his longest tenure with any team in his 31-year coaching career. He led the team to the playoffs five straight years, including the 2001 NBA Finals, and is to coach the 2004 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team.

The 62-year-old Brown had been contemplating stepping down since Philadelphia lost its second-round playoff series to the Detroit Pistons in six games. The Sixers overcame a mediocre start, won 23 of their final 33 games and finished 48-34 this season.

But after beating New Orleans in six games in the first round, the Sixers couldn't get past the top-seeded Pistons, losing twice in overtime and once on a last-second shot that was goaltended.

Brown came to Philadelphia in 1997, taking over a perennial loser that hadn't been to the playoffs since 1991. With help from then-president Pat Croce, Brown turned the Sixers from a laughingstock franchise into one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

In 2000-01, Brown led the Sixers to a 56-26 record and first place in the East. Philadelphia advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in 18 years, before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games.

Brown won the NBA's Coach of the Year honors that season, the only time he ever won the award. Brown was Coach of the Year in the ABA three times in four seasons.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0526/1559098.html

---------------------------------------------------
So I wonder what's next for him. That now puts out three good coaches for the openings in Houston and Cleveland.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hasn't Brown's problem always been not being able to deal with his young talent? Not sure how he would do with a kid coming right out of high school. I know he has the experience of being a college coach in the past but he seems to have a real problem with young players in the pros and I think it has something to do with fundamentals, or the lack of fundamentals in today's playground inspired game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Hasn't Brown's problem always been not being able to deal with his young talent? Not sure how he would do with a kid coming right out of high school. I know he has the experience of being a college coach in the past but he seems to have a real problem with young players in the pros and I think it has something to do with fundamentals, or the lack of fundamentals in today's playground inspired game.

Well, he was a very, very good college coach...I don't think it has anything to do with young players...I think it has more to do with him being a very emotional person, and leaving pretty much every job he's had pretty quickly. Not to mention the "Back to Ucla" debacle.

Ucla - 2 years
Kansas - 4 years
Denver - 3 years
New Jersey - 2 years
San Antonio - 4 years
LA Clippers - 2 years
Indiana - 4 years
Philly - 6 years
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
NYFAN
High School JV

Larry Brown is a great coach in pretty much all aspects. If you don't believe that just look at how he helped Iverson develop from an immature kid, into a much more mature player (granted he's not going to win any awards for maturity, but the improvement is huge). I think Larry Brown would be an ideal fit for LeBron and Cleveland. He may not win a championship, but he'd get the team running in the right direction, and probably get them all the way to the top of the division which is what he does best.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

Doesnt suprise me..Who wants to coach a team thats clearly going no where fast, with a player like A.I. who cant even make it to a playoff game on time...Should make a good coach to James in Cleveland.
mrbuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
vtbub
College Starter

He may sit out next year and just concentrate on his '04 USA team. He did incredible work during his tenure, maybe he just needs a break.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

I hope the Rox don't try and get him...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

"Who wants to coach a team thats clearly going no where fast, with a player like A.I. who cant even make it to a playoff game on time..."

Shame on A.I. for letting his car get a flat tire. How immature!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #10
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
"Who wants to coach a team thats clearly going no where fast, with a player like A.I. who cant even make it to a playoff game on time..."

Shame on A.I. for letting his car get a flat tire. How immature!

We all know that he could've called a tow truck to take care of it, and had a cab/limo pick him up within 15 minutes.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #11
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

flat tire..haha...riiiiight....
Old 05-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I guess it could be worse for Brown, he could be going to Detroit.

I still don't think that a high school kid going pro is a good fit for Brown. He doen't exactly have a reputation of staying around long enough to really develop someone. I'll miss hearing the Iverson/Brown soap opera though. They had some weird love/hate relatoinship going on. It was like watching an old married couple, kind of funny.

I think he needs to take a little time off, he's starting to look a little burnt out lately.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #13
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup
Doesnt suprise me..Who wants to coach a team thats clearly going no where fast, with a player like A.I. who cant even make it to a playoff game on time...Should make a good coach to James in Cleveland.

Troll.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #14
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

CLEVELAND CAVS!!! LABRON JAMES!!! HMMM...
Old 05-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #15
cmp
Pro Rookie

The Cavs will be very bad for a few more years. I don't see Brown going there. Lebron is going to take a few years to start playing like a star and I don't think Brown will wait around that long.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:58 PM   #16
vtbub
College Starter

Brown is the best coach out there, James could use him, but after watching Brown on PTI sometime in the last couple weeks say he would step aside if Michael Jordan wanted to coach the Sixers gave me the impression that the toaster in the Brown household was set on well done.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 PM   #17
NYFAN
High School JV

I have to admit, one of the more exciting parts of this offseason will be how the coaches unfold. Two of the league's top coachs are available (Van Gundy and Brown), plus Lenny Wilkens the NBA's most winningest coach, and of course Paul Silas one of the league's more underrated coachs (and one of the unluckiest,... he should not have gotten axed after this season...).

It's a rather overlooked facet of the game, but the shift in coachs could result in a shift in power of teams.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote