Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2001, 10:41 AM   #1
SYMTEX
n00b

Question I need the 75 offense

does anyone know where i can get the complete 75 offense?Also a good alaround defense would help if possible.Thanks

SYMTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 10:43 AM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

Morgado put together a great page with all the information you seek and more. Check it out here:
http://www.geocities.com/bobkemp01/journal.htm
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
uglybobfatpants
n00b

I too am looking for this, but the link isn't working. Does anyone know if the page is still up?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

WHile I don't know where to find it, here's what I remember of it.

1) The run chart looked kind of like this
Code:
DN YTG 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1 ? 50 75 ? 2 ? 75 50 ? 3 75 25 ? ? 4 ? ? ? ?

? mark where you leave it as the computer AI puts it

The running direction went like this
Code:
LE LT LG C RG RT RE 15 10 10 30 10 10 15

The passing distance was like this
Code:
Screen 1-10 11-20 21-30 30+ 10 40 40 9 1

That's what I remember off the top of my head.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-24-2003 at 10:33 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:52 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Of course, all those settings are for FOF 2001... if the requestor is seeking to set this up in FOF4, it may need some more fine tuning.

But, I don't think the specifics are all that essential. The idea was basically just a run-heavy attack, with short passing thrown in. Morgado seemed to be fond of the nickel package for his defenses as well, if that's what your after.

Try the FOF Journal link from the FOFC front page, I think that has most of the original content intact.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
WHile I don't know where to find it, here's what I remember of it.

1) The run chart looked kind of like this
Code:
DN YTG 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1 ? 50 75 ? 2 ? 75 50 ? 3 75 25 ? ? 4 ? ? ? ?

Hmm, the way I remember it is like this:
Code:
DN YTG 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1 25 50 75 ? 2 50 75 50 ? 3 75 50 ? ? 4 ? ? ? ?

Last edited by 3ric : 05-26-2003 at 10:31 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
3ric
College Starter

Dola. Found a copy of the original thread on my hard disk:
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgado
Just got through simming about 8 seasons with Detroit. Went with some modest house rules (No contracts longer than 4 years, no renegotiating, no franchise tag, no proposing trades). Not bad... won 3 of 5 Super Bowls so far and made the playoffs every year except for two when I had that crappy Fair Avoid Injury coach. Avoid Injury is still *the* defining rating for a coach.
Anyways, after one of those horrible 4 win seasons where I didn't make the playoffs, I picked up a RB with the 1(1) pick named Dustin Maslowski. After a respectable 1000 yard rookie season with no honors, he's stormed to four straight 1st Team All-Pro selections, four straight NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year selections. No quadfectas though because the damn player of the game algorithms keep picking my DBs who return INTs for TDs.

Anyways, one season I was experimenting with formation sets. I tried weighting 3WR heavy since Sloan retired and I had no good TEs. My rushing game went in the tank for the first four games. After that, I went back to the old mix and it seemed to work great. What i've been using to get Maslowski's 2000 yards from scrimmage seasons:

4 Formations: I, Split, Single and either Weak or Strong (doesn't seem to matter).

Extremely Low 5WR and 4 WR (about 30-35)
Moderate 2 TE, 0 TE and 3 WR (about 45-55)
Extremely High 2 WR (about 80)

Run directions not important. Pass percentages my standard WCO values: 10/40/40/5/5

Run percentages:
50-50-75-default-default
50-75-50-default-default
75-50-25-default-default
all default on 4th down

No adjustments to run percentages or pass distances at any time.

The most interesting part of all this is that Maslowski only has very good endurance (80) and average carrying (like 50). The big stuff he's got are breakaway speed and yards per carry as well as maxed receiving skills across the board. He gets like 600 yards receiving per season since my passing game is so short range.

So far i've been assuming that there are some random variables that determine play outcomes - either normal or uniform distributions probably. The skill ratings on players somehow adjust the "rolls of the dice" these random variables generate.

Breakaway Speed looks like it shifts the probability of getting ridiculously huge runs. All three of the backs on my depth chart have 70+ breakaway speed and get run after run of 20-30 yards. Maybe there's a few different distributions like N(5,5) and N(10,5) or whatever... breakaway speed is probably either shifting the distribution to a higher mean or simply acting like a random multiplier to the play outcome (hence the -12 yard runs around left end).

Yards per carry ability is described as how good the back is at avoiding being tackled for loss. Assuming all play results are either mean zero or positive mean outcome, i'm guessing the YPC rating affects the standard deviation of the distribution or somehow making the runner more consistent.

I think that's why all the totally badass RBs have exceptional breakaway and YPC ratings. They're consistently explosive.

My hypothesis on why the 2WR set seems to make a big difference with the rushing game outcomes (outstanding line put out way better numbers against way better defenses for me at least with a 2 WR set) has to do with how the defense playcalls against personnel. A 2 WR set is about as balanced as it gets and the opponent can't gamble well. Against 4 or 5 WR, you can go Nickel or Dime and play Pass Aggressive. With 2 or 3 TE, you can go 4-3 Run Normal or even gamble run. But 2 WR and a TE with split backs?

No way to really predict what a balanced personnel set will do. The best way to exploit this is with a great TE and a good blocking and pass catching FB. Not surprising my offense was successful since these are two bargain basement positions I always go after. Consistently, my FB, RB, and C all made All-Pro (at least second team) each season. The funny part is my tackles are the best run blockers and yet they rarely made second team. Hrm.

Anyways, one last thing - about 4-3 and 3-4... i've gotten both defenses to work well, winning Super Bowls in this Maslowski dynasty. The big key is to have a maxed DT to plug the middle, which is extremely easy in FOF2001 since DT is such a deep position. DEs don't seem to be as important in a 3-4, but the LBs must be first rate.

A side note is that swtiching from 4-3 to 3-4 and back to 4-3 was precipitated by the fact I couldn't hold onto my veterans and had to conform to whatever I could salvage in FA. Some years I could get LBs and some years I could get DEs (4 year cap on contract lengths so high turnover). Man, talk about cohesion and team loyalty being worthless... almost no dropoff in performance of the team even after totally gutting the defense (replaing like 7 starters). Maybe keeping the same unit together isn't all that big of a deal... take the 2000 Rams Defense for instance.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Hey, I was close.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-26-2003 at 06:54 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Good Stuff.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote