Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #1
Havok
College Starter

CM4 complaint........

Ok, so i gave CM4 another shot and now i like it. I was to quick to bash it before, EP3 is a big improvement.

With that said i have a MAJOR grip with this game.

I took over Hellas Verona in Itailain series B. I got a decent transfer budget (like 400k) and my team wasn't very good. My Board expects me to promote to series A. I bought quite a few youngsters with my transfer budget, mainly 15-18 year olds. I wanted to build for the future.

It was a tough season but i made a serious run at the end and ended up in 4th by 1 point. So that means i promote to series A!!! GO ME!!!!! anyway, i get a much bigger transfer budget (like 3.5 million) and they upgrade my stadium. Im all fired up about series A Ball. I go out and buy a bunch more youngsters and a few veterans. I know im gonna get crushed by everyone. Teams like Milan,Inter, Parma. These guys have 1 player worth more then most of my starters put together.

Anyway i start the season and it gets bad fast. By the time Febuary rolls around im in last place in the divison. I start to make a decent run after that and win 3 out of 5. Then i lose 2 in a row and i get FIRED!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I build up a kick ass U-20 Squad, Somehow promote in my first season to a divison i have no busniess being in, win a few games, the team is making a profit, yet i get fired!!!!! What the hell is the deal with that??? I put a 35 hours of my life into building this dam team so in 5 years they will be able to compete with the BIG boys and i get fired.

This is extremely frustrating, Someone explain this to me.

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Havok, Havok, Havok, create another manager, take the team over, put the whole squad into some fucked up training routine and get even!
Old 05-22-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
Havok
College Starter

lol!!

i just dont understand why i was fired. I did a hell of alot better then i should have. That team is gonna kick ass in 5 years. Freddy Adu,Wael Raed<-----this guys is amazing), Memo, Eddie Gaven, Tim Howard and many more. i was seriously stacked with youth.

Is there a way to turn firings off??? since they're so unrealistic?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I don't have CM4, but in previous versions, there wasn't anyway to turn firings off. You could create another manager and just take the team over again if you wanted and continue on.

Looks like you concentrated too much on your youth movement and not enough on the present.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
Alf
Pro Starter

Italian presidents want results now (meaning not in relegation/demotion position) first ! It's really not unlikely you would also have been fired in a French club even in real life
Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
andy m
High School Varsity

what was the board expectation prior to the season? you could just have had an ambitious / impatient chairman. did they say "expects you to build the squad" or "expects a mid table position"? this is your tip off for how well you have to go, and if you fail to meet these expectations and impatient chairman will fire you.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
what was the board expectation prior to the season? you could just have had an ambitious / impatient chairman. did they say "expects you to build the squad" or "expects a mid table position"? this is your tip off for how well you have to go, and if you fail to meet these expectations and impatient chairman will fire you.

It said "Fight Bravely against regulation"

The talent level between series A and series B is incrediable. Every team i played had a much much better team then me. Its a miricle i won as many as i did.

Quote:
Looks like you concentrated too much on your youth movement and not enough on the present.

well.... i could have bought a bunch of average players and still gotten crushed, or i could have bought a bunch of talented youth players and been awsome in 3-4 years.

My transfer budget was crap, half of my youth guys i got for free. And since selling players in CM4 is next to impossible, your stuck with whatever transfer budget they give you.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

What I was suggesting is mixing up the 2, the youth and some average players to keep you out of the relegation zone. Lots of managers get fired IRL late in the season to try to avoid getting relegated.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Take over the Silverbacks.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
[b]It said "Fight Bravely against regulation"[/b[

ouch. sounds like you had an ass of a chairman, were very unlucky or this part of the game needs some tweaking.

Quote:
The talent level between series A and series B is incrediable.

if it's anything like the english leagues then that's very realistic.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:42 PM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Depending on the chairman you have in charge they can be rather blunt and short memoried about prior success, this is how football is irl I'm afraid ...

In these circumstances you can normally survive (unless you're a big club or your chairman is a real arse) if you at least put up a fight against relegation (ie. keep bouncing off the bottom of the table and looking like you might survive) .... if you sink to the bottom and stay put then most clubs will sack you as they'll feel the players have lost motivation ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #12
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Depending on the chairman you have in charge they can be rather blunt and short memoried about prior success, this is how football is irl I'm afraid ...

well... if thats the way it is i can't complain then. I know nothing about Professional soccer in real life. It just seems kind of extreme, Hire a manager, promotes in his first season, make a steady profit, develops a solid youth club, then fire him when he loses to teams that are 10X better then him.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
well... if thats the way it is i can't complain then. I know nothing about Professional soccer in real life. It just seems kind of extreme, Hire a manager, promotes in his first season, make a steady profit, develops a solid youth club, then fire him when he loses to teams that are 10X better then him.

Follow Serie A for a year IRL, you'll see that this happens all the time there. It's insane how often they change coaches. If anything, I'd say it happens too infrequently, at least in CM3, not sure about CM4, haven't really looked into it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:08 AM   #14
Havok
College Starter

i said to hell with series A and B.... I've taken over Sambenedettese in serie C1/B.

Talk about a tough challenage. But lucky for me i signed my favorite player, Wael Reyad.... he rocks =)
Old 05-23-2003, 04:11 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Thats one of the hardest things about managing a soccer club, you if you have a long term plan you still have to get reasonable result in the short-term to retain your job ....

Having a bunch of young kids who might be world beaters in 5 years isn't enough for most boards, they want some sort of results now ....

If the board is patient than that might simply mean keeping the status quo - if they're ambitious (especially if they're giving you money to spend) then those results had better be immediate ...

PS. For a reasonably patient board give Brighton a try

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-23-2003 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:35 AM   #16
Havok
College Starter

where is Brighton at?? If they're in England then i dont wanna play them. I can't stand that work permit thing they got going on in England. Makes buying players very very hard.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:01 AM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
where is Brighton at?? If they're in England then i dont wanna play them. I can't stand that work permit thing they got going on in England. Makes buying players very very hard.

Afraid they are English .... (purely coincidentally they're also my favourite club ) ....
Old 05-23-2003, 07:50 AM   #18
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
Having a bunch of young kids who might be world beaters in 5 years isn't enough for most boards, they want some sort of results now ....

That's happenning in French Ligue 1 with Rennes this season, they hhave a lot of youngsters (Faty, Briand, Bourillon, Chaigneau, N'Guema, Didot etc...) who might someday play at an international level but they're fighting against relegation this season (one coach got fired, the new one is moving to Paris next season).
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #19
Havok
College Starter

hmmmm im having a wierd problem. All the sudden pressing the space bar doesn't stop my simulating for some reason. It worked just fine in my last game but with my new game its not.

Did i accidently disable it somehow?? If so... how do i fix it?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:50 AM   #20
Alf
Pro Starter

Rennes and Paris might even end up swapping coaches... Glad I am a Bordeaux supporter !
Old 05-24-2003, 02:06 AM   #21
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
hmmmm im having a wierd problem. All the sudden pressing the space bar doesn't stop my simulating for some reason. It worked just fine in my last game but with my new game its not.

bump
Old 05-24-2003, 03:50 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

It isn't possible for this to be disabled, it does tend to be less respnsive on busy match days though as less monitoring of keyboard input is done at those times.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:38 AM   #23
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by BreizhManu
That's happenning in French Ligue 1 with Rennes this season, they hhave a lot of youngsters (Faty, Briand, Bourillon, Chaigneau, N'Guema, Didot etc...) who might someday play at an international level but they're fighting against relegation this season (one coach got fired, the new one is moving to Paris next season).
Overhere, Excelsior (from Rotterdam) is bravely battling against relegation with Feyenoord's B squad(well, not completely, only 95% of their squad is on loan from Feyenoord.)
Starts me wondering how CM handles this situation, as both teams have the same 'general manager'?

Anyway, the Excelsior coach was not sacked this season and is not likely to with just 2 games left.

On the other hand, Vitesse (top5 for the past 10 years, but now fighting against relegation) has already sacked 2 coaches, while newly promoted RBC sacked their manager and rehired the previous manager.

Actually, over here the season has been pretty sackless, only 5 coaches have lost their jobs so far. (AZ, Vitesse (2), Groningen, RBC)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:47 AM   #24
Blackadar
Retired

Hey, it's no big deal. I had something similar happen to me in CM4. I took over Stevenage, a horrible Conference team in the English leagues. I managed to turn them around and win promotion to the D3. Won that going away and got bumped up to D2. However, the board wouldn't expand the stadium, training facilities or free up cash. Handicapped, I still managed to guide my team to promotion.

That's 3 years and 3 promotions. However, when I got to D1 I knew I needed more money. The board wanted me to finish in the top half of the league with a salary budget that's less than some of the top-paid players in D1. They didn't want to expand the stadium either - which seats only about 3,000. I was looking for jobs left and right and couldn't get one. So I got into a big fight with the board and was promptly terminated.

I joined Notty Forest, who had a bigger budget, stadium and wanted me to just steer clear of relegation. I'm now enjoying 6th place, a decent budget and stomping the hell out of Stevenage, who's in last place and has yet to win a game.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:57 AM   #25
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Blacky

That's my favorite CM story ever.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:51 PM   #26
Blackadar
Retired

tyvm
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote