Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

OT-Like Everything Here Isn't ;) Another Free Game Find

The game is called Decker. It can be found at Decker Homepage

This is a sorta roguelike game of computer hacking. The closest game it compares to is Uplink which I happily bought but IMHO Decker is the real deal. Where to start??

First, you have 25 program catagories with multiple levels of programming excellence which you either buy or program yourself based on your time/skill level.

All of these cats have a genuine purpose and the key is balancing the load of your "deck" with how you want to combat the systems ICE. This actually does implement the "roguelike" ideal as you do what you can with what you can buy and react to real game conditions which Uplink, with it's more basic approach can't touch.

I am happily running from hostile ICE, hoping to 1) smoke some of them off my path and 2) finding the reinforcement control node, which basically truly kills beaten ICE. Without this and the ICE comes right back which really sucks. With it, I still can't win most straight up battles but I have viruses and confuse proggies etc to even the odds.

It's turn based but trust me, this game offers a truly seat of the pants "urgency" as one balances trying to leach one more money making file from the data node vs cutting and running because the various ICE, from the probes to the eyes to the fighter types are sniffing around you trying to break your hiding proggie.

I was enjoying this a lot but in my mind I was envisioning a very limited "oh neat" factor as I finally learned how to handle the early AI. Hah!

Once I hit the second "level" the AI was not only stronger but playing by different rules. I've barely been hanging on while I figure out how to get my butt kicked and still earn the
required cash to make my monthly bills. It's been tough but doable. It DOES require thinking outside the box. This game is lethal at first but the author does say that it may get easier.

BTW, there are 5 "levels" so the game should have legs. I like that he definately made level 2 a HUGE ramp up from 1 but my character doesn't.

Finally, not that there isn't a whole lot I'm not saying, but I'll add this, this designer didn't whip this up without major thought. I've found so called "exploits" which actually were survival techniques. The game is a humbler.

I've gained certain techniques which make parts of the game easier but the next stages laughed at my meager efforts. I die a lot. It's frustrating but fun. This guy has envisioned and created a fun game.

I'm really hoping to drum up some interest because quite frankly I can imagine that while I can help people get a leg up, soon I'll be needing some quid pro quo.

Anyway, here's the heads up. Hope you enjoy.

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola,

BTW, from the initial "bonuses" you can pick let me offer this advice.

Don't take skills as the first skill levels only cost one sp to increase and even cake missions give you that.

Software is easily and quickly writable at low levels and also cheap at first. Skip this one too.

Hardware is the real biggie as hardware, even the low level stuff is expensive and barring that takes a long time to write/implement and requires an expensive burner to boot. It's the real beginners choice.

Money is cool. It's not "easy" so to speak but it allows you to basically pick and choose your own bonuses at first and also is a buffer against bad luck. It's second to Hardware as a "power" pick but it is my favorite so far.

No bonus is for the real hackers and is what I hope to do eventually. All of these matter little as they really only affect the beginning game so choose what makes you happy.

If you're getting creamed though, my humble suggestions may help a little bit and they are offered in that way. Have fun.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
3ric
College Starter

Sounds interesting... I'll go check it out.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

Has it been updated recently? I played around with it a year or so ago and lost interest, but if it's been updated I'd give it another look.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Axxon
Pro Starter

I don't know Bee; I hadn't heard about until now. It's on version 1.9 now. Out of curiosity, what made the interest fade? I thought mine was after I figured out the first part but the second part was so ramped up and required different strategies to survive.

It kicked the game up a notch in my eyes. Still, I can see it losing it's luster if you eventually can win in a walk. A lot of games like that where the intro is harsh but the rest goes downhill. I'm new in the game and thought just maybe this was different. What was your experience and how old was your version compared to 1.9??
Old 05-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

uplink is the shit
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd have to check what version it was when I get home. To me it became too repetitive. A game needs an occasional curve ball to hold my interest and this one just kept throwing the heat.

I agree with Shorty, Uplink is a very good game. If you like Decker and that subject matter, you should definitely give Uplink a try.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's a pretty good idea for a game...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Nice Try Tucker

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

Well, I did say that I own Uplink and enjoy it. Reading, people, reading.

I realize that Ulink is more polished and has a better storyline but I find parts of it very tedious and overall less goes into planning and executing each mission.

In decker each system you hack has a personality and the combat choices exist. In Ulink you have less to work with and each invasion is pretty much the same. For example, in Decker the systems throw up fences and barriers and every action taken by the comp has nodes which you can access to counter with or you can rely on your deck if it's up to snuff.

I don't know, I thought it would grow repetetive so it doesn't surprise me that it does but I thought it already had but the new missions as you rise in levels did throw me a curve and I've rethought out my characters progress with every new game and/or situation which I didn't do so much in Uplink.

Either way, neither of them can hold a candle to Neuromancer IMHO and that's sad.

Oh, did I mention that Decker is free???
Old 05-23-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
3ric
College Starter

I tried it out and couldn't stop playing. Pretty darn addictive, you get that "OK, just one more contract" feeling. I'll keep it!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:08 AM   #12
Airhog
Captain Obvious

In the Faq he says its pretty hard like angband, im gonna play some later me thinks.

Old 05-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #13
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It definately is diffucult to start, but only if you are playing Ironman.

Here is a good way to get started.

Select Hardware. Trust me its the easiest route to go for a new player.

Save often on the first few runs. Also you can download files that are worth money which really helps.

The next step is too upgrade your software skills. I have focused on software and stealth. My programming skills is at 5 and my stealth is at 6. Dont worry about attack/defense, as very few jobs require any attacking.

If you have to attack use silence first. It keeps the ICE's from raising the alert level.

There are a few important programs you will need decent levels.

Hide and decieve are the two big ones. Decrypt is really important too, because sometimes the mission objective files are encrypted.

Next are Scan and evaulate. These will allow you to scan files faster and determine their worth.

Silence is important but only for missions requiring you to shut the system down.

I write 90% of my own software, and you should too, it saves you money, and you can never trust what the shops going to have.

Finally, I think you should get the high speed bus, this will cut transfer times down.