Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2003, 05:33 AM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Piston's new strategy

I think the pistons have the Nets right where they want them.. They have wore them out letting them run the ball and score at will the first 3 games.. They figure they'll be able to beat them................. on the golf courses this summer.

Anyone else find it funny that the Pistons got the #2 pick for Otis Thorpe basically?

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
oykib
College Starter

I find it pathetic. It makes me wonder why people aren't trading for picks or swapping picks with crap teams all the time.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:17 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
I find it pathetic. It makes me wonder why people aren't trading for picks or swapping picks with crap teams all the time.

Pathetic? How? It was a risk at the time. Thorpe was a serviceable player. The Pistons had some options as to when to take the pick. They made a gamble and it paid off. Who knew? The Grizz or Showboats or whatever they are called now could have had a good season and the pick could have turned out to be a low first rounder.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Pathetic? How? It was a risk at the time. Thorpe was a serviceable player. The Pistons had some options as to when to take the pick. They made a gamble and it paid off. Who knew? The Grizz or Showboats or whatever they are called now could have had a good season and the pick could have turned out to be a low first rounder.

That's the whole key. If I recall correctly, the Grizzlies thought they were close to putting together a pretty decent squad, and felt they just needed another piece or two to add to the puzzle. Now, whether or not you believe that Otis Thorpe could be that piece is another story, but they felt they took a calculated risk in making the trade. Think about it, that trade was six years ago; I'm sure they assumed that, by the time they had to give that pick up, they would be playing good enough that it would probably only be a low first-round pick, not a lottery choice. If that pick turns out to be low in the first round, it turns out to be an ok deal for the Grizz. As it turns out, it bit them in the ass. Thems the breaks sometimes.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote