Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

NFL playoff expansion plan withdrawn

In a move that will be hugely popular with this forum, the NFL has apparently decided not to go ahead with their proposed playoff expansion.

linky to USA Today article

Good news indeed.

fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
tucker342
Pro Starter

Very good news
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I have to admit that I'm unsure why so many people are against addding another team to the playoffs. Rooney's argument makes no sense. With one fewer wildcard team than in the past, it would appear chances are that most of the time the final wild card spot will be chosen through some convulated tie breaking process. Frankly, I'm more concerned that a weak division will produce a 7-9 playoff team while a 10-6 team stays home because there are only two wild cards.

I don't buy arguments about the "integrity" of the NFL season. There is no difference between a 12 and a 14 team postseason. Frankly, with two wild cards it makes even less sense that the top two teams get buys and the other division winners don't. Giving just THE top team a bye makes sense, or go hogwild and add two playoff teams in each division and eliminate byes altogether.

Quote:
Tagliabue also said the league would rethink what team deserves to be called the 1925 champions. The NFL did not hold playoffs then, and the Chicago Cardinals were declared champions despite a loss to the Pottsville (Pa.) Maroons. League president Joe Carr disqualified them for later playing a game against Notre Dame in Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell made a presentation Wednesday on behalf of the Maroons, who also had their NFL rights rescinded by Carr.

Whew. There for a moment I thought global terrorism and a deterioriating economy were taking our eyes off the main objectives.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They should assign a team to each of the pro bowl squads by a coin flip overseen by Phil Luckett, and the winning conference decides which team deserves the 1925 championship.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote