Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

L.A. Colts

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/p...n/1557240.html

I hope not, but my beloved Colts might end up in L.A. Word also has it that Manning might want out andnot sign long term because they cant field a team around him. Just when things had stopped sucking so bad for us Colt fans.

Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My dad and I have had season tickets since '87, and I'd hate to see them go, but this has been around for awhile now so I am looking for them to go. They have the smallest stadium in the league and Indy fans aren't generally football fans. The cap is already tight for the Colts, so building a team around Manning will be hard. Personally, by 2006, Manning could be all the colts have. Harrison will be well into his 30s and James doesn't look like the back he was a couple of years ago. If the Colts are to win anything, I think it's within the next couple of years....which is what Irsay wants. Win something...then move to LA.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
ColtCrazy
College Starter

dola

I would hate to see any team move to LA, let alone the Colts. I guess that means I'll be going to Bengals games from then on.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #4
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I am from Maryland originally and a Colts fan from the Baltimore days, but I still wouldnt want to see them move. I would like to see them sign Peyton longterm and settle a deal to saty in Indy. I agree with you though, it seems like the majority of people from Indy couldnt care less about the Colts and dont really support them. How f***ed up would it be to have to go out and buy a "L.A. Colts" shirt? Plus, I am a big fan of the uniforms. I would go absolutely f***ing nuts if they changed their uniforms.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Just as long as it's not my Vikes goin there I'm not getting to broken up about it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's the spirit!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
rexallllsc
Banned

man, i dont want someone else's team
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think L.A. will continue to be a hard sell for the NFL, and i'm scared of who will end up there. I'm really afraid the league and the team will feel the need to usher in a "new era" in L.A. and rename whatever team decides to move. Imagine the NFL without a team named the Colts being part of it?

I think the Chargers would be best for everyone, it's the most local of the moves and they played their originally. Shit, they could break out the powder blue jerseys and head home like the good old days. I think it would be a pretty nice marketing ploy for the league and team.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rexallllsc
man, i dont want someone else's team

C'mon, team stealing is your pride! Has L.A. ever had an original team, in any major sport?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a fan of a small market team, I am very jealous of L.A.. The city lets two teams leave, refuses to pay for a new stadium, and seems to almost pride itself on showing indifference to the NFL. And today you have people talking about the NFL potentially putting two teams into that market. Sigh.

Of course, my jealousy would never be enough for me to want to move to LA, but that goes without saying.

Oh--for those who want the Vikes, Colts, and Chargers to stay put, I must give you a little hope and point out that the Saints are another possibility for moving there. The state is doing a "feasability study" on a new stadium due to be completed in 2004. If the state decides that a new stadium is not "feasable," I don't think that the league would hesitate for a second in pulling a team out of the Gulf Coast to put it on the Left Coast.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's a power thing though. The people with money want a team in LA because of the power and prestige. Think about how much clout that would give someone to own a team in nation's second largest market in the most popular sport in the country. I've read it before that a lot of people in LA couldn't care less about having an NFL team. It seems like it's more of a play thing for rich people.
I'd hate to see any team move. I love the Bolts being in Diego and moving the Vikes out of that NFC "Norris" quad would be bad. I hope the Colts stay, but if they go, there's no way I can support an "LA" Colts team. Other than the Knicks, all my most hated teams come from LA.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #12
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

cthomer, that was funny!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:24 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ColtCrazy
dola

I would hate to see any team move to LA, let alone the Colts. I guess that means I'll be going to Bengals games from then on.

Ouch, now that would suck!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:22 PM   #14
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm a Colts fan and them moving to LA wouldn't affect my rooting for them at all... maybe because I no longer live in Indiana either, but its hard for me to fault them at all if they move.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:57 PM   #15
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
C'mon, team stealing is your pride! Has L.A. ever had an original team, in any major sport?

Much of that is due to the Western expansion of the country...many of the teams on the west coast moved out here from back east.

But in this day an age, it's not necessary.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:59 PM   #16
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
It's a power thing though. The people with money want a team in LA because of the power and prestige. Think about how much clout that would give someone to own a team in nation's second largest market in the most popular sport in the country. I've read it before that a lot of people in LA couldn't care less about having an NFL team. It seems like it's more of a play thing for rich people.
I'd hate to see any team move. I love the Bolts being in Diego and moving the Vikes out of that NFC "Norris" quad would be bad. I hope the Colts stay, but if they go, there's no way I can support an "LA" Colts team. Other than the Knicks, all my most hated teams come from LA.

I could care less about having an NFL team...to me, the NFL is kinda crappy. Teams have to cut fan favorites (Rice, Seau, Harrison) just to stick under the cap. You'll RARELY see a star player end his career with his original team anymore.

If there ever was a league of mercenaries, it's the NFL.

I'll stick to college ball.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:00 AM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

that would suck

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:07 AM   #18
Blade6119
Coordinator

i hate the colts...they stole my nickname..Colton-Colt
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
It's a power thing though. The people with money want a team in LA because of the power and prestige. Think about how much clout that would give someone to own a team in nation's second largest market in the most popular sport in the country.

It's not a about power and prestige. Teams from small market cities (except Pittsburgh, are their any classier owners in sports than the Rooneys?) are going to stab each other to try to be the team in LA. They want the increased franchise value rather than the prestige though. Spend $10 million in costs to move from Indy to LA, and the potential sale price of your franchise goes up $200 million. Overnight.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade6119
i hate the colts...they stole my nickname..Colton-Colt

The Colts have been around a lot longer than you have, young-un. It's more like your parents stole the Colts name...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #21
rexallllsc
Banned

You guys hear Jim Rome's take on LA not wanting a football team today? I couldn't have said it any better. No one cares.