Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #51
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
They are not a protected class.

Heh. I actually considered a scenario where someone might claim being a smoker was a medical condition/disability (nicotine addiction) after JiMG's line "the discomfort of not having that particular smoke." Would be an interesting angle...

cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #52
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I just don't see how that becomes their problem.
That's your problem.

There's no shortage of things I find at least equally unpleasant that other people do, yet I really don't see a whole lot of energy, nay, any expended on their part to avoid that discomfort for me (else there'd be a lot lot fewer Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers still visible in Athens area.) So why on earth would or should I be expected to make more effort than they're making?

What if i decided to simply stop wiping my ass? I take a shit, come back into the office and stink up the place with my shit-stained underwear. Is this everyone elses problem?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I love the lack of courtesty to even "air out" for even a second. Many people take their last drag outside and office building and race right into the elevator or something, stinking up the whole fucking place.

I would assume that they also "Indiana Jones Move" the elevator smelling like stank.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #54
DougWyatt
H.S. Freshman Team

This conversation puzzles me. How can anyone be bothered by something that makes a person "cool" when the do it ?
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #55
lungs
Pro Rookie

If I can't smoke or swear, I'm fucked.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #56
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Heh. I actually considered a scenario where someone might claim being a smoker was a medical condition/disability (nicotine addiction) after JiMG's line "the discomfort of not having that particular smoke." Would be an interesting angle...

My aunt has recently told the family that her doctor told her she needs to smoke and should not quit. This is while her father, my grandfather, is laying in a hospice (on his deathbed effectively) on oxygen with conditions directly related to the 50 year smoking habit he had. I seriously doubt any legitimate doctor would ever suggest such a thing, at least not a MEDICAL doctor. Having said that, I don't think you qualify for a "medical condition/disability" without a medical doctor signing off on it, right?

EDIT... I don't like smoking in any aspect. However, I think people should have the right to do it as long as they respect the rights of others. Beyond that, they should also waive the right to "public assistance" (medicare/medicaid/free healthcare/etc) for any conditions related to this choice. Just like seat belts and motorcyle helmets. I don't think those should be mandatory under law for adults, but choosing not to wear them should be a waiver of any right to medicare/medicaid/etc for any injuries resulting from that choice.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-07-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #57
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I would assume that they also "Indiana Jones Move" the elevator smelling like stank.

Naturally! Those Indiana Jones-ing motherf***ers.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We have a "rule" with smoking around our house (she smokes, I don't) - all smoking is done outside or she can smoke in the kitchen and blow it out the window. Lately she's been smoking in our bathroom and it really pisses me off to smell that shit while I'm trying to sleep.

Time to tighen up the reigns... although that might lead to less sex.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #59
Drake
assmaster

A couple of quick and easy solutions to the pervading smoke smell:

1. Shower every morning before going to the office. (Smoke odors stick in your hair.)
2. Wear clean clothes every day. (Smoke odors stick to your clothes.)
3. Don't smoke in your car with the windows rolled up -- especially if you're just taking a smoke break.
4. Don't smoke in the rain.
5. After your cigarette, hang out outside for a couple extra minutes shooting the shit to air out. If you can get your boss hooked on cigarettes, you can even call this "meeting time" or something. That's what my boss and I do. It's hard for others to complain when my boss is the one initiating the 30-45 minute smoke breaks two or three times a day.
6. A little Febreeze works wonders. Seriously, just dump a little in one of those personal fragrance bottles you can carry in your pocket and just give yourself a quick spritz before heading back inside. It has no odor, unlike cologne.
7. If you're going to be working closely with people or smooching administrators, think about popping a breath mint or a hard candy. This one's really pretty optional. I use the breath mints/candy to hide the smell of liquor on my breath more than cigarettes.
8. Swing by the bathroom and wash your hands. A bunch of the odor from smoking that you carry back into the office comes from your hands. Since I usually decide to hit the head when I smoke at work, this one really doesn't cost me any effort.

Last edited by Drake : 01-07-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nothing is worse then kissing a girl who smokes. I can;t imagine ever marrying someone who smokes at that
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
1. Shower every morning before going to the office. (Smoke odors stick in your hair.)
2. Wear clean clothes every day. (Smoke odors stick to your clothes.)

If someone does not do both of these, I would suggest smoking is not their biggest problem.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #62
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I know some people who shower at night... though if I tried that my hair would be sticking up at various angles.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #63
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
What if i decided to simply stop wiping my ass? I take a shit, come back into the office and stink up the place with my shit-stained underwear. Is this everyone elses problem?

That would be an interesting sociological experiment.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #64
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Time to tighen up the reigns... although that might lead to less sex.
Of course, isn't that like having sex with an ashtray?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #65
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Assuming you don't have a fetish of some sort that makes you like the smell of you own waste, that could be problematic.

The thing about smoking is that it's an activity that some people find very enjoyable, but is considered by some to be at the least annoying or and at worst socially unacceptable. The only comparable activity I've been able to come up with is "self-gratification."

If I'm at a bar and decided after having a couple of beers and hitting on waitresses that I want to fondle myself, what's stopping me? Let's assume I'm not violating any indecency laws be pulling my pants down. Just because you and your uptight views on sex don't approve or you don't want your kids to see that kind of behavior, why should that matter to me?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Of course, isn't that like having sex with an ashtray?

Actually, I've dated smokers who taste just like an ashtray and I've dated women who although they smoke, don't have that smoke breath. My wife is one of those.

She never cared about my disgusting chewing habit when I met her, so I showed her the same courtesy. A good brusing before bed also helps.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #67
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well I know some people who shower at night... though if I tried that my hair would be sticking up at various angles.

I usually shower at night, and my hair is usually pretty bad. *shrug*

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #68
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
They are not a protected class.

We're more protected than you are. We all know karate. There are instructions for new moves in every pack.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #69
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
My aunt has recently told the family that her doctor told her she needs to smoke and should not quit. This is while her father, my grandfather, is laying in a hospice (on his deathbed effectively) on oxygen with conditions directly related to the 50 year smoking habit he had. I seriously doubt any legitimate doctor would ever suggest such a thing, at least not a MEDICAL doctor.

Well they may not say it that way but my own mother was legitimately told by a physician not to attempt quitting smoking AT THIS TIME. This stems from some arrhythmia she has been medicated for the past two-three years. Her doctor told her that putting her on the patch or shot was not a good option given her other medical problems, but encouraged her to smoke less often and gradually ween herself off.

Problem is, my mom, a 35 year + smoker, is so hopelessly addicted that she thinks she absolutely needs some medicated assistance like the patch.

Interesting note, my mom actually started smoking all those years ago because a physician told her it would help calm her nerves.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
EDIT... I don't like smoking in any aspect. However, I think people should have the right to do it as long as they respect the rights of others. Beyond that, they should also waive the right to "public assistance" (medicare/medicaid/free healthcare/etc) for any conditions related to this choice. Just like seat belts and motorcyle helmets. I don't think those should be mandatory under law for adults, but choosing not to wear them should be a waiver of any right to medicare/medicaid/etc for any injuries resulting from that choice.

I like the way you think. I say tax cigarettes more, and then use the tax to help pay for medical costs for smokers later. Leave the rest of us out of the costs of smoking.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #71
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well I know some people who shower at night

So do I. I just took it to mean shower every day.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #72
Drake
assmaster

Shower every day is, in fact, what I meant, but if you shower at night, realize that if you smoke after your shower, you're negatively impacting your freshness rating for the following day. The cigarette odor accumulates over time.

With regards to clean clothes -- I should have stressed the "clean" bit, since most guys I know have more than once worn a shirt because it passed the sniff test, and not because it had been washed since the last time it was worn. Smokers should never rely on the sniff test, because we're not going to smell the cigarette odor.

Last edited by Drake : 01-08-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #73
Drake
assmaster

dola...

I'm not really anal about this. I know that I smell like cigarette smoke. I just try to keep my smoke odor contained in roughly the same personal circumference that I'd contain my cologne odor (within 12 inches of the body is what most fragrance experts recommend, I believe).

And if you're close enough to me to determine that my dick tastes like an ashtray, we've got much bigger problems than my status as a smoker.