Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #1
Jets80
High School Varsity

Mike & The Maddog

Just wondering if anyone listens to these guys on NY radio WFAN or watches them on YES network. When I come home on my lunch break I watch these guys on YES. I'll admit I think Tony Kornheiser is the most "entertaining" sports radio guy, But Mike Francesa and Chris "Maddoog" Russo are by far the most knowledgeable and do the best interviews. Best sports show on radio or TV hands down.

Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Kornheiser is also an excellent columnist. Check out his stuff at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ornheisertony/
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

I don't cause we don't get them in Iowa, but I've heard that they are really good.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
Celeval
Pro Starter

I don't get them where I am now (Atlanta), but my mother (sports fan) swears by them, and I'll listen whenever I'm in CT. Good stuff.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:48 PM   #5
Frank of CCPB/JSB
Shot Sports

Hear them all the time
They are good, but Mike gets on my nerve with his know it all attitiude (he doesn't know as much as he seems to portray)
and Mad dog is much more entertaining as a solo act. Mike seems to intimidate him sometimes.
Nevertheless a good listen and have been a "fan" for 10 years now.
Frank of CCPB/JSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Being in the NY radio area, I can't stand these two. They are very knowledgeable about baseball, Mike knows his stuff with horses, but aside from that they're pretty out of it. They talk Yankees & Mets all year long, and little else. I can't stand them.

They have a tendancy to really attack a lot of callers - which doesn't score well in my book.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
oykib
College Starter

I listen to the highlights. Unfortunately, they don't stream WFAN. They only have about three highlights (usually the open and a couple of interviews) per show on the webstite.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000

They have a tendancy to really attack a lot of callers - which doesn't score well in my book.

They do jump all over the idiots - but a lot of the callers truly are idiots.

They do talk a lot of baseball, but NY is a baseball town.

There are few things funnier then when they get on Minko for the way Army stinks and Continent for how terrible Rutgers is. That's as good as it gets.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 05-20-2003 at 09:22 PM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would rather listen to Jody Mac. He has a much more diverse show. When there's any big national sporting event I usually chose WFAN over WIP, I am in an area where I get both, just because WFAN generally talks more about the national events that the Philly station.

Either way I have learned that the people that call into these shows are pretty much idiots no matter where the show is. To that extent it's fun listening to the hosts go off on them.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

Jody Mac is okay. But Mike and the Mad Dog have more juice. They have enough juice to get in the face of their big-name guests.

Also, they do know a hell of a lot more baseball than other radio personalities. It all comes down to whether you are a baseball guy or not.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:31 PM   #11
vtbub
College Starter

Anybody remember Pete Franklin?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:07 AM   #12
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
Anybody remember Pete Franklin?

Yes, you want to talk about someone getting all over callers.

As for Jody Mac - he was great on the weekend overnights years ago. Rotisserie Roundup, he literally just read boxscores from 2-3 AM. Wrestling Hour with Rich Mancuso. I never understood a thing they were talking about but for whatever reason I could listen to an hour of questions that were mailed in on wrestling.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 05-21-2003 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:09 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Francesa has a great syndicated show called Mike Francesa and the NFL Now - it is on every Sunday morning during the football season. A great warm up for the day's games...

I will always love Kornheiser though - partly because I was listening in when he was just local, but mainly because his show is just completely different from all of the mind-numbing sportstalk that is on out there.

I tell you what - sports talk radio would be a million times better if there were no callers. I even like Jim Rome, but his callers are so unbelievably irritating that I change the station whenever they "grab a vine."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I get tired of all the Yankees/Mets talk from them. Just like I get tired of all the bosox talk on WEEI all year long...

I end up usually just listening to ESPN radio all day at work. Kornheiser is good, the others are ok, but they at least cover national sports which I like.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

These two are the worst thing about New York. Can't stand them one bit.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:36 AM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
I would rather listen to Jody Mac. He has a much more diverse show. When there's any big national sporting event I usually chose WFAN over WIP, I am in an area where I get both, just because WFAN generally talks more about the national events that the Philly station.

Either way I have learned that the people that call into these shows are pretty much idiots no matter where the show is. To that extent it's fun listening to the hosts go off on them.

Cool, Jody Mac is still on? Is it still Mac & Mac, or does he have his own show again? Man, the last time I think I seriously listened to WIP (when I still lived in Philly), Tony Bruno and Al Morganti were still on the morning show (with Angelo Cataldi), and SalPal (Sal Palantonio) would make an occasional appearance.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #17
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

I prefer to schmooze with Steve Sommers.
Arbitrary Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 07:05 PM   #18
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Cool, Jody Mac is still on? Is it still Mac & Mac, or does he have his own show again? Man, the last time I think I seriously listened to WIP (when I still lived in Philly), Tony Bruno and Al Morganti were still on the morning show (with Angelo Cataldi), and SalPal (Sal Palantonio) would make an occasional appearance.

Jody is on from '10 a to 1 p' on WFAN with a dumbass named Sid Rosenburg. Sid does the sports reports on Imus.

Noone will ever touch Mike Breen on Imus. P-Mac had his moments, but Breen was a highlight of the show.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arbitrary Aardvark
I prefer to schmooze with Steve Sommers.

Agreed. He looks at everything objectively, never gets riled up, and seems to agitate demon-caller Jerome - which is as good as it gets. Steve also makes himself out to be just an observer, rather than a sports "expert."
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:45 AM   #20
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Whenever I was on the road south of OKC I listened to espn radio all day. The dan patrick show wasnt that bad, but too many damn commercials.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:21 AM   #21
Blade6119
Coordinator

yah...their ok
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote