Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Grammar rant

[rant]Alright, a little venting here. I'm not an english major, and I certainly am not immune from making spelling errors and other grammatical errors, but I've seen this particular error so much that I can't take it anymore:

The word is "dominant". When someone is dominating, when everytime they face you they dominate you, they should be described as dominant.

I've seen so many instances in the last few months of people substituting "dominate" for "dominant" that I finally couldn't take it anymore.[/rant]

OK, feel free to pick apart my spelling and grammar...

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

dom·i·nant
adj.

1. Exercising the most influence or control.
2. Most prominent, as in position; ascendant.
3. Genetics. Of, relating to, or being an allele that produces the same phenotypic effect whether inherited with a homozygous or heterozygous allele.
4. Ecology. Of, relating to, or being a species that is most characteristic of an ecological community and usually determines the presence, abundance, and type of other species.
5. Music. Relating to or based on the fifth tone of a diatonic scale.

dom·i·nate
v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates
v. tr.

1. To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
2. To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.
3. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.
4. To overlook from a height: a view from the cliffside chalet that dominates the valley.

-------------------------------------

One is a verb and one is an adjective.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
One is a verb and one is an adjective.

Exactly. I've seen countless cases recently (not just on this board BTW) where the person has used the verb in place of the adjective. It got so bad I started wondering if I was just imagining that the adjective was different than the verb.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

dominate post!

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

Dom's mate Trix dominated when he mated with the dominant domimatrix.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

And just in case there's some argument that this is an "aural" error... the word dominate is pronounced with its last syllable rhyming with the word "gate," and not rhyming with "net." The two words do not sound particularly similar.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is definitely one that bothers me too.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some other frequent ones on this site:

"core" is a center or central element - the core of an apple, the core of the earth, the core idea, etc.

"corps" is a group of people with a common purpose - an army corps, or a receiving corps (it's pronounced the same as "core")

"corpse" is a dead body, and has nothing to do with either of the above, and only the "e" is silent

- - -

"worse" is a comparative adjective - showing that one thing is worse than another

"worst" is a superlative adjective - showing that one thing is the worst of all, i.e. worse than any other

- - -

And as for apostrophes... good heavens, where to begin? How about here: there is no need to add an apostrophe to every word that you want to make plural. Cats and dogs do just fine... no need to make them cat's and dog's. The same goes for more complicated words, too. I personally prefer to never use the apostrophe for a plural, but if you must, limit it to plurals of letters, numbers, and maybe some acronyms. (The Oakland A's, the 1980's, or MIA's)
Old 01-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

The only thing that makes me pull my hair out is using "loose" instead of "lose" as in "did the Cubs loose again?" This, clearly, is a spelling only mistake, not something that you can detect in speech

Oh and a friend of mine spelled "wipe" as "whipe" for months... in DAOC beta, he kept talking about "player whipes" ... that one baffled me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:49 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
The only thing that makes me pull my hair out is using "loose" instead of "lose" as in "did the Cubs loose again?" This, clearly, is a spelling only mistake, not something that you can detect in speech

You beat me to it. This must be by far the most common "typo" on the internet. I put typo in quotes because I think people actually believe the word is spelled that way. Maybe it's because it rhymes with "choose", I don't know.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Proper usage of an apostrophe.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:00 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

I agree. I would expect more from those who supposably talk English as a primary language. Its ashame they can't master it's basic elementals.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:02 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree. I would expect more from those who supposably talk English as a primary language. Its ashame they can't master it's basic elementals.

IT'S also A SHAME that those being critical are morons.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:04 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
IT'S also A SHAME that those being critical are morons.

Gee, I see you picked up on my subtle errors......

Ugh.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-31-2003 at 03:05 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:08 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'm sure it was intentional...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:19 PM   #16
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

And let's not forget the ever popular "your" vs. "you're."

That one drives me absolutely bonkers. Or more bonkers than usual, as the case may be.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #17
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

My biggest pet peeve is the proper use of adverbs.

For example: I am going on a trip to Minneapolis this weekend. My co-worker says: "Drive careful."

Outwardly, I smiled and said thanks.

In my head I am screaming :"LY!!... CAREFULLY!!! You are modifying the verb; use the adverb. Aaargh!!!!"

:sigh:

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
And as for apostrophes... good heavens, where to begin? How about here: there is no need to add an apostrophe to every word that you want to make plural. Cats and dogs do just fine... no need to make them cat's and dog's. The same goes for more complicated words, too. I personally prefer to never use the apostrophe for a plural, but if you must, limit it to plurals of letters, numbers, and maybe some acronyms. (The Oakland A's, the 1980's, or MIA's)

Apostrophes are probably my biggest weakness. Generally speaking, shouldn't they be mostly used as either an indicator of possession ("...that guy's stuff") or of conjunction ("...don't touch my stuff")?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Apostrophes are probably my biggest weakness. Generally speaking, shouldn't they be mostly used as either an indicator of possession ("...that guy's stuff") or of conjunction ("...don't touch my stuff")?

If everyone could just understand it that far, I think the relatively small errors that would remain woul be pretty easy to live with. Even most grammatical hardliners would take that deal, I think.

An understandable, but troubling, element of using apostrophes is possessive pronouns. We're used to refering to the things belonging to Alice as Alice's things. It's troubling that when we refer to Alice by the pronoun her, we then are tempted to follow a similar convention and speak about things that are her's. And suddenly we have an apostrophe where we don't need one, in the word hers. It's a similar leap to the word its, used as a third person singular possessive pronoun (e.g. the cake and its candles)... and you have a huge number of peopl who similarly want to insert an apostrophe there, too.

The apostrophe in it's represents the missing letters of a contraction. It's is a shortened form of it is. Occasionally it has. That's it, end of story.

it's = it is
its = belonging to it
Old 01-31-2003, 04:52 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

i tend to intentionally leave out apostrophes and capitalizations. im just lazy i guess. i understand them, i promise. i just dont like having to hit the stupid shift key
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

I am glad to no that I'am good at english.

But seriously, my friend has never spelled isn't right. Easiest word, and he spells it i'sant.

English mistakes are my biggest pet peeve.

I think TheSpark.com's Personality Test sums it up best in one of the questions:

Quote:
Suppose a girlfriend or boyfriend that you were *really* into said one day, "You and me just aren't right for each other," and dumped you right there. Did you notice the poor grammar?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
We're used to refering to the things belonging to Alice as Alice's things.

AHA! A first! The GAG (God of All Grammar) has mispelled something!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #23
wbonnell
College Prospect

You guys are too damn picky.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:55 PM   #24
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

QS makes a number of typos, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt here.

I fully acknowledge being picky by starting this thread, but if it serves to educate someone as to proper english is that a bad thing?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:56 PM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

misspelled
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #26
dacman
College Benchwarmer

How ironic.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:15 PM   #27
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I speek good.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:49 PM   #28
Rembrandt
n00b

I'm a big fan of G.W. Bush, but it really bugs me when he says "nucular" when referring to nuclear weapons.

I also hate it when people are talking about themselves and say "you". e.g. Brad Pitt might say, "You just get sick of people following you around and taking pictures of you all the time."

Or athletes say, "You just have to step it up when you're playing in the Super Dome."

No I don't, because that doesn't happen to me.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:06 PM   #29
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

How about people that use words in the wrong connotation...like literally...

I laugh so hard I literally sh*t my pants...

He hit that guy so hard he literally ripped his head off!
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:13 PM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am admittedly a rampant typo-er (which bothers me very little, unless it leaves a word incomprehensible)... but overall a pretty good speller. Still remember most of the words I missed in the Erie County spelling bee back in elementary school, too.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:32 PM   #31
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Angry

I freakin' missed noodledom in my county spelling bee in 6th grade. It was obvious that I wasn't hardcore. I should have known "dom" means the "world of".

I did win the school bee, though. Chick magnet I was.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 AM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

I don't (do not) really appreciate all my new found (judge check - is it supposed to be new-found? I don't know) Buccaneer fans who say "GO BUCCS!" Because the breakdown of the word BUCCANEERS is BUC-CAN-EERS (I think) and the short title would then simply be "BUCS" based on the first syllable (guessed on spelling)....it really just chaps (burns) my ass (buttocks) to such an extend (oops, extent) that I feel obliged now to post about it.

Or maybe I'm just being a smart ass and don't really give a shit (couldn't care less) because I don't want to scare off hordes of people from communicating on the Internet because there (their) typing is bad (poor) or the grammar is off (poor).

Who friggin' (fucking) cares people. (Should have been written as a question) When they submit their English tests in high school or are unlucky enough to get a job in the real world that hounds them on grammar...well....it will all come out in the wash. (They will be fucked then)

So lighten up! (relax)

hehe (haha).
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
I'm sure it was intentional...

It certainly was intentional, if there are any doubts. I purposely used "it's" for a possessive when it correctly is "its", and "its" for "it is" when it should be "it's". I also don't "talk" English, but speak it. I don't recognize "supposably" as a valid word, at least not how it's used instead of "supposedly". Throw in "ashame" and that I would use "elements" over "elementals", and I figure I did a fine job of butchering the language. Moreso than I would normally, that is (my SAT Verbal trailed my Math score by a good number of points, though I did once post a 60+ in the TSWE portion).
Old 02-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're used to refering to the things belonging to Alice as Alice's things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Shorty3281

Actually, if Quik was (were? This one I honestly never remember....) dealing with browser environment variables, he'd be correct:

$ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}

Someone who helped develop the protocol couldn't spell either

Last edited by cuervo72 : 02-01-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #35
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Someone forwarded this comic to me and I immediately thought of QuikSand:

Old 05-21-2003, 01:43 PM   #36
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm....howabout excessive, random use of quotation marks?

(following paragraph stolen and molested because I couldn't come up with one on my own).

When Camden Yards "opened" in 1992, the average major league "payroll" was roughly $29 million. A decade later, after a dozen retro-parks had opened, the "average" payroll had "increased" to about $67 million.

For instance, my grandmother sent my son a birthday card with the following:

Happy Birthday "Cole"

As if his name was some sort of alias.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:23 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Someone forwarded this comic to me and I immediately thought of QuikSand

I'm flatterd you thought of me, and I heart the surly, angry flower.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #38
moriarty
College Starter

My pet peeve is the "they're", versus "their", versus "there" useage (sorry Cuervo for the quotes).

Also the to, two, too confusion.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Maybe your "grandmother" suspect's that "you" havent told "her" you're sons correct "name"?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
My pet peeve is the "they're", versus "their", versus "there" useage (sorry Cuervo for the quotes).

Also the to, two, too confusion.

It only bothers me when it's unwarranted.

And very funny EagleFan