Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The worst thing about the legal system

If you (or more to the point, your parents) have lots of money, you can basically get away with anything. There was also an article a few days ago about how they will be charged with a misdemeanor and not a felony.

I can't help but think that if these were poor kids, they would already be in jail and expelled and no one would really consider that it should be otherwise. Or maybe I am just too cynical.

The irony is that I'm sure that a lot of their white, suburban, upper class parents vote all of the time for candidates and DAs who promise to be "tough on crime." Of course, when it is their little snookums who particiaptes in a gangland style beat down with weapons, they change their tune and start complaining to the courts about civil rights and due process. Now I know I am too cynical.

What really gets me is that if the DA and the school had the balls to make an example of these kids and actually apply the law, it would really mean something--other people would notice and might change their behaviour so as not to suffer a similar fate. Now I am just angry.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05....ap/index.html

NORTHBROOK, Illinois (AP) -- Thirty-one students accused in a videotaped hazing have been offered a deal to graduate on time if they won't fight expulsion or try to exploit the widely publicized incident with a book or movie deal.

Glenbrook North High School officials say some of the students are considering the offer, which also requires the students to attend counseling and perform community service. School board attorney Lawrence Weiner said they would be expelled but the school would freeze their grades at their previous levels instead of automatically flunking them.

"They'll graduate with their class," he said.

School officials have suspended the 31 students over a May 4 flag football game where students were beaten, splattered with paint and hit with mud and feces. In addition, Cook County prosecutors have charged 15 students with misdemeanor battery. The hazing was videotaped and widely shown on television.

The offer came up Monday at the court hearing of Marnie Holz, one of the students suing to overturn her suspension. School officials had notified the 31 students of the offer in writing.

Attorneys for some of the students appealing suspensions, including Holz's attorney, Larry Kaplan, said they would reject the offer. Kaplan said his client is suing for reinstatement and would not sign the deal "as a matter of principle."

"For one thing, we believe the school exceeded its clear authority," he said. "We believe Marnie was punished for conduct which the school has accepted and tolerated for 23 years."

He said the expulsion would cause "irreparable harm" despite the school's promise not to release disciplinary records to colleges.

Steven Decker, attorney for two suspended girls -- one of them among the 15 charged with battery -- said his clients likely would reject the offer. He said the school is "just trying to save face."

The school initially said it had suspended 32 students because of the hazing but acknowledged Monday that it had misidentified one of the four boys suspended.

"He was allowed right back in school," school district spokeswoman Diane Freeman said. "He didn't miss a beat."

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

It's the same thing in politics. The big corporations usually get their way because the make the big contributions , have the best lobbyists, etc. Money makes the world go round. No one really cares what the "little guy" wants.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I don't have a problem with the offer because it comes from the school, not from the DA. I think the school has two major concerns. The first is that these kids will write some book that will give them hundreds of thousands of dollars, making the whole situation a positive thing for the guilty party. Second is because the incident happend off campus and not at an official school event, it will be hard to make any dicipline stick.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #4
oykib
College Starter

I have a problem with it. The school should dole out the punishment that it feels is appropriate and then let the legal system do its thing. If they get smacked by a lawyer, then they get smacked. But they need to stand up.

This deal seems like it's trying to avoid embarrassment in the media. But it's already out there. These guys are in the spotlight. They should do what's right and take their rounds of the talk show circuit. I'm sure that they'd get support from both sides.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm with you oykib. I think the offer's bullshit, and quite frankly, I'm glad the kids didn't accept it. Let them go to to court, and let the five girls who were put in the hospital sue the asses off of anybody who signs a book or movie deal.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Is the post title a question? I'd have to say lawyers. Maybe subby should make a "worst thing about the legal system" poll? (a) money buys justice (b) lawyers (c) greta van sustern (d) judge judy and so on