Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you think EA is "milking" everything it can out of the Sims franchise?
Yeah, I've spent some 200 dollars on that crap! 1 3.85%
Yes, something needs to be done, but not to your extreme degree Happy. 7 26.92%
I'm undecided, I'll go eat some twinkies now. 9 34.62%
No, you have got to be kidding. 6 23.08%
Hell No, I'm a die-hard fan, I use it for every part of my life, I dont care if I have to pay. 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Happy's Weekly Rant: Pointless "The Sims" Expansion packs

The Sims, who wouldnt want a game where you can sit in front of the computer for a few hours, look at little sprites as they live the life you'll probably never live, and watch as they perform three-way sex. Sure, who wouldnt want that (maybe those Christian Coalition groups, but they arent looking at this, are they?)? However, with the release of expansion packs like Living Large, House Party, Hot Date, Unleashed or the widely proclaimed Superstar, is EA adding only a miniscule amount of add-ons to the Basic Game while putting an added expense to the customer?

It should be noted that many have dished out $199.99 each on these 6 games, not including the worthless dollars that die-hard fans spend to get add-ons from now-pay-to-download-kind-of-crap sites like The Sims Resourse or The Sims Hangout. If you calculate the basic price for all 6 games at $199.99 and calculate it by the estimated total of Sims fans all over the world (at some 70 million), EA receives some $13,995,800,000 dollars (some mathmatician will have to help me, I don't know if that's right) from them. And remember, that's just an estimated total of fans.

Is EA exploiting Capitalism by adding so little to get so much? On average, fans expect at least 25 hours of added gameplay from an expansion pack from any other game, however, the average Sim expansion pack offers +100 new objects, +100 new skins, and maybe an extra wall paint or two, but cmon, these are objects no one will probably have their Sim use.

Well, my advice to any Sim fan, IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR FUNDS. If this isn't one of many capitol offenses EA is commiting, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by Happy29 : 05-18-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It is ridiculous, but EA knows what people will pay for these little addons. They have utterly masted price discrimination with this game. The Sims has some very, very devoted fans (don't ask me why, I played it for a week and haven't played it since), and they will pay top dollar for the ability to have pets, or go on dates, or be a rock star, etc. By limiting what goes out, and charging $30 per pack, EA is gobbling up as much money as it can make.

The problem isn't EA, it's gullible Sims fans who have too much money on their hands.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

I stopped playing that game the second I realized that I cleaned up my Sims house more than my own. Stop the madness!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I am not sure I see the problem.

how about a "Yes they are, and good for them."

Last edited by Fritz : 05-18-2003 at 03:25 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Sims was fun for doing stupid stuff like

Having a baby.. then walling it in a small squared room and watch social services patrol your house for hours looking for the baby

Walling in a pool after a annoying neighbor jumps in! (they drown shortly there after)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Like so many things out there, my inclination is to tally this up as yet another "tax on stupid people."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Yes, but as they say "ignorance is bliss." And Bliss means dishing out the Greenbacks.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:47 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

It's not EAs fault that people buy this crap. If people buy it than hell ya they shcould make it. I wouldn't waste my money on it though...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Like so many things out there, my inclination is to tally this up as yet another "tax on stupid people."

This pretty much sums it up.

Oh, and you need to make the last poll question a little more funny. Polls have rules.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I played this game up until I realized it took my Sim about 4 hours to take a piss. Then another 3 hours to actually leave the bathroom.

I'm not sure, I just don't see the appeal in a game that has me doing things I don't particularly enjoy doing in MY life, but folks are all over it. I attribute this fact almost solely to Wal-Mart though(aka Satan).
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Before it came out I was thinking it would be a cool game. After playing it a couple times I had no desire to ever try it again.

Kind of along the same lines as Black & White. That seemed to have a cool premise but then it just got too boring too quick.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

I agree with EaglesFan. Although Black and White did hold my attention a lot longer than the Sims, they both fall into the same catagory.

The thing is, I look at The Sims now with all of the expansions, and I see a good game. But the cost of buying The Sims and all of the exapnsions is way too much for me. Just not worth it.

But as long as EA can milk the hell out o fthe people who buy this, good for them.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:21 AM   #13
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I never understood why ea even wasted time with packaging the expansions.. why not just make them internet downloadable only via credit card? would save them on packaging and cd printing

But i really shouldn't give them ideas
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #14
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

I think it'd be too big to download unless you own a cable or DSL or the ultimate T1..... however, 100 or so MB is an awful waste of space on your drive if you're only getting 100 extra objects.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
Philliesfan980
Banned

I know that I wouldn't pay for the game, but to each their own. I wouldn't want someone making fun of me for wanting to become "A General Manager of a Pro Sports Team"
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #16
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

We're not making fun of the game.. we're pointing out things about how much content EA offers in the expansion packs.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:33 AM   #17
MIJB#19
Coordinator

What my sister really likes about the Sims is creating a house and putting all the furniture in it. That combined with the music makes up for the unrealistic in-game timing of events.

Quote:
to each their own
That's well put, Philliesfan980.

If people want to buy those expansions, let them. If the expansiosn were all bad, people would not run to the stores hoping the 9th expansion finally adds something to the original. That is providing people aren't that stupid...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That does have an effect on those who don't like it. The more a developer sees stuff like that make big bucks, the more chance there is of that developer not making a really good game and instead choosing to make something like that. It's supply meeting demand and original gamers lose out.

MIJB#19, unfortunately I feel that the masses are that stupid.

That's how we get someone being awarded 4 million dollars because they thought it was a good idea to hold their coffee between their legs while driving.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #19
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Of course next we will see sims 2, sims 3, sims 4, sims 5, sims 6, sims 7, sims 8 and sims 9-20

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #20
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I like the Sims - I'll fire it up every couple of months or so, usually just because I like to make the chicks fall in love with each other.

Haven't bought any expansions, because that's just crazy, although down the road if they do a big bundle package of all the expansions for like $30, I'll pick it up.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 PM   #21
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I like the Sims - I'll fire it up every couple of months or so, usually just because I like to make the chicks fall in love with each other.

Haven't bought any expansions, because that's just crazy, although down the road if they do a big bundle package of all the expansions for like $30, I'll pick it up.

That's the only plausible solution to this problem. They need to wait and hold back to release updates to the program that really matter. A radical thought would be that EA make a whole new version altogether. I don't know, maybe a Sims 2 that includes all these people's crazy ideas, ideas that people will actually use for their Sims would do. New features available from download sites other than skins, objects or houses. Features like more interractions or crap like that, and those dang download sites should be free. (Hint for another topic for Happy's Weekly Rant, watch out for it)
Old 05-21-2003, 03:33 AM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
MIJB#19, unfortunately I feel that the masses are that stupid.
Well, that clarifies why I keep on losing the "I'm with Stupid" contests, I'm too not-stupid too understand it...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote