Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Samdari
Roster Filler

Ray Sherman story

EDIT: This is Ray Sherman, not Mike. Big goof by Sam.

Did anyone hear about this. I read it on ESPN.com. Apparently, a 14 year old boy was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head in a house rented to Ray Sherman. The boy's name was not in the story, but the Shermans do have a 14 year old son.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0519/1556259.html

EDIT: link added

Last edited by Samdari : 05-19-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=sns%2Dap%2Dboy%2Dshot&section=/printstory
Teen Found Dead at Packers' Coach Home

By ROBERT IMRIE
Associated Press Writer

May 19, 2003, 10:36 AM EDT

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A 14-year-old boy was found dead in a home that was being rented to Green Bay Packers wide receivers coach Ray Sherman.

Police said they responded to a 911 call from the home Sunday afternoon. The boy, whom authorities did not identify, died from an apparent gunshot wound to the head, police said. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

Police declined to say who lived in the house, and would only confirm the age of the boy, but not if he was related to Sherman, who has a 14-year-old son.

Gary Schneider, the owner of the house, said Monday it was rented to Sherman. Schneider said the family was in the process of moving and that he had not talked to the family about what happened.

The death has been ruled suspicious, and police are not ruling out it being accidental, a homicide or a suicide, Capt. Lisa Sterr said.

No one is in custody, and there are no suspects, Sterr said.

Police declined to release any further information, but Capt. Gary Vanden Huevel said a news conference would be held later Monday.

The single-story home was cordoned off with yellow police tape, and a single squad car remained in front of the house early Monday.

Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb said Sunday night the team did not have any comment and referred all questions to police. He did not immediately return another call Monday morning.

Sherman, 51, joined the Packers staff in 2000 and has been in the NFL for 15 seasons as a coach for the Vikings, Steelers, Jets, 49ers and the Falcons and the former Houston Oilers.

Besides a 14-year-old son, he and his wife, Yvette, have two daughters, 11 and 5.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

It's now being reported that it is indeed Ray Sherman's son...

Sad, I guess I have to assume it was a suicide, which is very unfortunate.

EDIT: Mike to Ray

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers

Last edited by RonnieDobbs : 05-19-2003 at 12:38 PM.
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
dacman
College Benchwarmer

ESPN Radio is reporting that the deceased is indeed Ray Sherman, Jr. and that the shooting appears to possibly be accidental (Shot himself playing with a gun found in the garage). Pure speculation at this point is my guess.

Last edited by dacman : 05-19-2003 at 12:41 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The story says Ray Sherman.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-19-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And so does this:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The 14-year-old son of Green Bay Packers assistant coach Ray Sherman died of a gunshot wound to his head after finding the weapon in the family garage.

It was not immediately clear whether it was an accident or suicide, Lt. Jim Arts said Monday. Ray Sherman Jr. was helping his family move from a rented home Sunday afternoon when he found the gun, which belongs to his father.

"He was in the garage by himself, but there were other family members in the home,'' Arts said.

His father found him 10 minutes after the gun went off and called 911, Arts said.

The boy's father, his mother, two younger sisters, 5 and 11, and a grandmother were home at the time but didn't hear the shot, Arts said.

The coach told police the gun and ammunition were usually kept in separate places, Arts said. The gun was in a duffel bag on a shelf in the garage.

"We don't know if it was a suicide or accidental. ... It is quite possible we may never have that answer,'' Arts said.

An autopsy was planned Monday that may help provide some answers.

Arts helped coach the boy on an eighth-grade football team and said he was talented enough to play any position.

"He was just a wonderful young man, very well liked,'' Arts said.

Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb said Sunday night the team had no comment and referred all questions to the Green Bay Police Department. He did not immediately return another call Monday morning.

Sherman, the wide receivers coach, joined the Packers in 2000 and has been in the NFL for 15 seasons as a coach for the Vikings, Steelers, Jets, 49ers and the Falcons and the former Houston Oilers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #7
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

correct, and fixed

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
dacman
College Benchwarmer

D'oh -- same
Old 05-19-2003, 12:58 PM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

DOH, I really screwed that up. Sorry everyone. Hope I did not cause any undue distress. I'd kind of like the ability to change thread topics right about now.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:50 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

ESPN.com is now saying that it is an apparent suicide.

Very sad situation...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote