Ragone
Pro Rookie

Planetside

Who plans on getting it? should coordinate on what server/ alliance we choose

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Sounds interesting, but Rise of Nations which comes out next week will keep me busy for a lttile while.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
AgPete
College Prospect

I tried the beta version for a while and because I'm a fan of MMORPGs and first-person shooters I thought this would be a great game but I realized that combining the two takes out everything I enjoy in both genres. It isn't near as complex and full of wonder as an MMORPG world and it takes too long to supply and move around as opposed to a basic quick and fun online first-person shooter. It didn't help that the server had huge problems for about a month and I was disconnected more times than I want to mention but I didn't find much fun in the game. Lots of people are enjoying the game though so I'm sure it will find a huge fan following. It just isn't my cup of tea, I'll stick with Star Wars Galaxies and Half-Life 2.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I'm a huge fan of online first-person shooters like TFC and DoD. But, cheating is a lot more common in those games than anyone really wants to admit and it just takes the fun out knowing that one any given server, a couple of people might be using hacks.

I was hoping Planetside would fill the need for an online shooter and get rid of the cheaters (for the most part). But I'm gonna wait and see.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Being a fileplanet subscriber I was able to jump in the beta and I am not impressed.

Respawn, attack, die. Respawn, attack, die. Respawn, attack, die. Respawn, attack, die. Respawn, attack, die.

Oh, did I forget to mention: Respawn, attack, die.

to be fair, I am one of the few humans on earth (apparently) to hate Everquest. I became sick of killing polar bears and spiders. IMHO, online RPGs (or the Baldur Gates and NWNs) will never reach the fun level or complexity of Pen and Paper RPGs until online speeds are real time for voice and data. Then, at that point, it will be basically a remote session of the Pen and Paper style. Besides, most of the fun of playing RPGs is the gathering of friends and the imbibing of alcohol.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote