Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Need some PC Game advice..

After finally spending the cash to get a computer that can actually handle some higher end programs, I now have an issue...Even being an old EB employee, I have no idea about whats worth buying PC-wise...Since we all have similar tastes for the most part, I figure I can bug you guys for some advice

Here's what I have so far:
Standard collection of text sims (OOTP5,FOF,TCY,CM4,etc)
Medieval: Total War and expansion pack (which was on sale at Best Buy for $24.99 btw)
Gothic (mostly based on Anrhy's ravings about it...)

Thats basically it so far. I'm not a big fan of shooters, and joystick-jockey sports wise, I'd stick to the console. So I guess what I'm looking for is either more good RPG's or a good strategy title or two (Tough to match the quality of M:TW I know-- another purchase that came from reading Chief & Anrhy)...Just like to pick the FOFC collective brain for something decent to play...

Of course, all help is appreciated in advance...

BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:08 AM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

how new?

Morrowind and Dungeon Seige are both excellent RPG's (well, Dungeon Seige is more RPG-lite).
Old 05-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Ahh, so many choices...what to tell you, what to tell you.

As far as strategy goes, at this time I'm still really enjoying Hearts of Iron, and one of these days I'll pick up Europa Universalis 2 as well. A lot of folks here rave about Galactic Civilizations as well, I never really got into much, but I'm in the minority there. I also can't praise Combat Mission enough, probably my favorite strategy game of the last few years, can't get enough of it!

As far as recent RPG's, I would recommend Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, the RPG-scene has actually been pretty quiet as of late, but we've got some beauties coming out this year. I personally wouldn't pick up Dungeon Siege, I found that to be one of the most dissapointing games I've played recently, it had all sorts of potential, and managed to screw about everything up.

I just woke up, so I'm barely conscious. There's a good chance I'll come back later when my brain is functioning, I know there's a lot more strategy games I can recommend.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks for the help so far guys...

Dungeon Siege was one of the last PC games my old computer was able to handle fairly well. I did like it, but I guess I'm still partial to Diablo II for my hack-n-slash fix...

Morrowind was one game I was definitely curious about. My old assistant played the game religiously and raved about it. Since my old computer (a celeron 433...ick) couldn't really handle it, I bought it for the XBox, but I thought it sucked because the controls were just terrible (i.e. aiming a weapon, etc.)

You guys gave me a hell lof a start, and my credit card company thanks you kindly...

Looking forward to more ideas...

(Edit: too early for me to spell )

Last edited by BFleming : 05-17-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

for what it's worth - I have a friend who bought it for the XBox and was so-so about it, but loves it on the PC (because of controls, add-ons, and lack of buginess)
Old 05-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, I have to agree with Morrowind. I think it's my favorite RPG ever.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Primal
High School JV

Shadowbane. If your into MMORPGs. Its more of point and click like Dablo, and focused around PvP.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Need some PC Game advice..

Quote:
Originally posted by BFleming

Medieval: Total War and expansion pack (which was on sale at Best Buy for $24.99 btw)

Figures...the other night i'm at Wal-Mart pondering over Medieval:Total War by itself(not w/ expansion) and Empire Earth Gold (w/ expansion), 2 games i have eyed for a long time but never pulled the trigger on....i just noticed EE Gold and figured it was the better deal at $39.95... oh well, thats always how it goes for me....i haven't played EE yet even, gonna get my chance in a few minutes finally
Old 05-17-2003, 12:50 PM   #9
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Let me know what you think of Empire Earth...I saw that too, and heard a lot of good things about it...Just haven't been hooked on an RTS since Starcraft. You know, it was really easy to sell this stuff-- you just read the mags, read the back of the box, and basically go from there...Now, the shoe is on the other foot. I don't trust a salesman's pitch cause I know he likely doesn't know his ass from his elbow, so I figure I can trust the opinions here..Sounds good guys...
Old 05-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

If you're the nerd that you should be as a member of this board, then you're committing a crime against yourself if you don't pick up Freedom Force.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
If you're the nerd that you should be as a member of this board, then you're committing a crime against yourself if you don't pick up Freedom Force.

Yeah, baby! I love Freedom Force. By the way, I have FF and would be willing to sell or trade.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:07 PM   #12
Calis
College Starter

Ahh, see I told ya I'd forget something! Freedom Force is another MUST have, and I think it's like 10 bucks at most places now, you can't beat that deal.

Me, I just picked up Rainbow 6: Raven Shield today and am getting ready to fire it up, I also picked up Undying last night for 10 bucks, it seems like a pretty neat game, I missed it while it was new. Of course, those are both FPS's, which you didn't ask about.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:56 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BFleming
Let me know what you think of Empire Earth...I saw that too, and heard a lot of good things about it...Just haven't been hooked on an RTS since Starcraft.

I started a game basically blind, did a couple "learning" scenarios but wanted to dive into a game. TO be honest i think this is my first EVER RTS...i usually have stuck with the trun based games like Civ...So far i like it ALOT, but being my first time i have a lot to learn and adjusting to NO turns and still keeping up with what all the units are doing starts to get challenging after a bit...love the audio and the graphics are pretty nice too...i have it on EASY and it was still pretty hard, ya really have to watch your military units, you can have a bunch in a nice group in a certain area to defend something and along comes an enemy, they will start fighting and you may have some units start to run off after the enemy if they start to flee...so far its nice and challenging which is what i wanted, and it is different from what i'm used to which is also very nice, i have got in such a rut of the same type of games(sport sims) that i needed this...will tell ya more when i get more into it...
Old 05-17-2003, 06:58 PM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I know it's an older game but if you like RPG and haven't played it, I can't recommend Torment enough. It's an incredible game. The side benefit, of course, is the fact that it's cheap nowadays. Woohoo!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #15
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

If you want get The old Rogue Spear game .Its just 20 bucks and very good .
Old 05-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

If you want variety in your RPG nad lots of mods and adventures then NWN is your thing .