Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

CM4 question

I just finished my first season with lowly Exeter City. We were horrible, but the board was delighted by our 18th place finish. Being 5,000 pounds over the board's wage limit, we needed to cut some players. Problem is, the squad's depth is now a serious problem. We need some young cheap players.

So I go to do a player search and try to find free transfers to fill the gaps. I only check the expired, value 'free' or ask assistant to filter uninterested player boxes in the filter screen. I get five available over-35 players listed and that's it. Then I check the recent transfers screen and there's a ton of players who have been released. Why don't they appear as free transfers from completing a player search? Do I have to click through every single player on the recent transfers screen to see his stats and figure out if I want to sign him?

This seems to be horribly inefficient and also means checking the recent transfers screen once a week to see if any decent players have been released. I know it hasn't been as tough to find adequate younger players in other versions of CM, but CM4 seems to make the process difficult. Am I missing something?

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

Free transfers are much more difficult to get. I'd suggest "unchecking" the uninterested players box. I've had moderate success bringing in players that were eliminated using this. I just use common sense and don't go after guys that are obviously out of my league.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think the difference is that the scouts no longer return out of club players in their searches. What I am doing, is keeping track of the players on expiring contracts that my scouts find during the season, and then when I need to pick up some free bosman signings over the summer, I usually have them shortlisted.

The only other thing to do is to watch the transfer wire and scout the released players every week or every month so that you don't have a load of them at the end of the year.

The reason they don't come up in the player search is that the player search is only for famous players in your area. Free transfers from the 3rd division don't exactly match this criteria.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
CAsterling
High School JV

or you can try this.

Use the quick search for NO CLUB
unfortunately you get all non-playing staff listed as well until the list reaches its limit, but it may give you some useful players.