Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

ESPN basically admits "Paul Maguire is so bad...

... we don't know what to do with him."

From USA Today:

Quote:
Maguire, ABC's man in motion, to call game from truck

Eventually, Paul Maguire should call a football game from a blimp. Saturday, he'll call one from a truck.

Maguire called two Super Bowls on NBC and worked ESPN's Sunday night NFL games for eight seasons until he was reassigned this year to call college football on ABC. He works a three-man booth with Brad Nessler and Bob Griese.

For Ohio State-Northwestern on Saturday, that will be a virtual three-man booth. With his partners in their usual perch upstairs, Maguire will weigh in from an ESPN production truck.

"All I do is look at replays anyway," says Maguire, in his 36th year as a football TV analyst. "It will almost be like I'm watching the game at home, but I'll have a bank of TV monitors to pick replays that show the best angle."

Looking at monitors and picking the replays is done by those who always work in the truck, such as producer Bob Goodrich, whom Maguire says will sit next to him and wants to "do something a little different."

At a Georgia Tech-Virginia Tech game this season, Goodrich stationed Maguire in the grandstands — "the one guy who recognized me had had a couple of beers and asked me what I was doing." At the Miami-Georgia Tech game, Maguire was atop a cart pulling a TV camera on the sidelines.

"It was the best seat I've ever had in my life," Maguire says. "But I had to duck when the camera swung around. And when the homecoming queen was looking down at her flowers, we (nearly) ran her down."

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Look, look in the truck, right THERE! THERE'S Maguire, eating a dozen doughnuts!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

they should just record him saying "DID YOU SEE WHAT *playername* DID RIGHT THERE?"
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
hhiipp
College Prospect

While I didn't enjoy him that much on MNF I thought he did a good job with the college games.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

I think he's done a pretty good job in college games this season. Notably, he immediately picked up on Bielema's end of half strategy last Saturday in the Wisconsin Penn State game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

One step in the right direction, now if they'd just shut off his microphone...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
One step in the right direction, now if they'd just shut off his microphone...

"OK, Paul, next week we want you to interview fans at Wal-Mart during the game. A mic? Yeah, the crew will meet you out there."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
"Paul, we've got a new gig for you. You will be the exclusive booth guy for our coverage of Wednesday night games. Don't be worried about the JV after the team names, we're pretty sure that is a typo."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, he's a damn fine punter in the HFL, so you all can just suck it!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
bryce
High School Varsity

One of the most awkward announcer moments I ever saw was last year or two years ago on a Sun Night ESPN game - the camera panned to the booth, and Paul was smoking a cigarette, and he had to suddenly move his arm under the booth when he saw the camera was on them. It was a quick reaction, I gotta give him credit, but you could still see the smoke drifting up.

It made me wonder how often this goes on, announcers smoking in the booths. Or drinking for that matter. Or did that stop with Harry Caray and Pat Summerall?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
One of the most awkward announcer moments I ever saw was last year or two years ago on a Sun Night ESPN game - the camera panned to the booth, and Paul was smoking a cigarette, and he had to suddenly move his arm under the booth when he saw the camera was on them. It was a quick reaction, I gotta give him credit, but you could still see the smoke drifting up.

It made me wonder how often this goes on, announcers smoking in the booths. Or drinking for that matter. Or did that stop with Harry Caray and Pat Summerall?

No idea but back in the earlier days of cable it was possible to get the sattelite feed of espn during the nfl draft and during many commercial breaks Berman would be stuffing his face with potato chips.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
kid_dynamite
Mascot

(ABC) "Yeah, Paul, I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to move your desk down to storage B, we have some new entry level workers coming in and we need the space. I'm also gonna have to ask you to take care of the roach problem we have down there. Thanks a bunch Paul." (Paul) "I believe you have my stapler"
Old 11-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Flasch186
Coordinator

actually, i HATE it when the color guy, wants to show something and the truck puts up a replay of the wrong thing or wrong angle. I think givnig more control of what the heck theyre pointing out is a step in the right direction, so if it means putting a guy in the truck or moving a control panel into the booth, im all for it, with ALL commentators.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_dynamite View Post
(ABC) "Yeah, Paul, I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to move your desk down to storage B, we have some new entry level workers coming in and we need the space. I'm also gonna have to ask you to take care of the roach problem we have down there. Thanks a bunch Paul." (Paul) "I believe you have my stapler"

Separated at birth?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote