Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #51
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Didn't John Ashcroft lose in 2000 to a guy who died a few weeks before? Of course, this worked out for ol' John since he got to be Attorney General and compose patriotic songs in his down time.

Yes, it was in Missouri. But in this case it was the current governor who was pretty popular at the time who died in a plane crash close to the election date. If my recollection is correct they wouldn't let anyone run in his place so people voted for him and his wife served for two years in his place.

Last edited by panerd : 11-09-2006 at 04:36 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #52
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Who is calling for this? I don't care if uninformed people vote. I would prefer that they at least know what they're voting for, but they still have the right to vote.

What I have a problem with is when elections roll around and people say, "Vote. No matter what. It doesn't matter if you don't know what's going on. Vote or die." Shouldn't we be working on getting an informed electorate rather than making sure that everyone votes?
Conversely, who says this either? I know no one who says that. People do say no matter whom you vote for, be sure to vote. The message there is while it does matter who you vote for, voting is something you should do.

Remember this -- the number of people who vote is ridiculously small. I believe estimates are that only about 70 percent of eligible voters are registered, and even in a great turnout only half of those vote. That even a presidential election is only determined by about 35 percent of eligible voters, less for midterm and other off year elections.

Of that 35 percent, how many are uninformed? I'm sure a fair number. But are they? They seem to know who their incumbents are, because they go to them like lemmings. I think the bigger problem is that 65 percent of are electorate is too cynical, lazy or uninformed to bother to vote. If that group got off the couch and did something, they could change this country. They could elect a slate of Liberterians and smoke mary jane til the cows come home.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #53
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes, it was in Missouri. But in this case it was the current governor who was pretty popular at the time who died in a plane crash close to the election date. If my recollection is correct they wouldn't let anyone run in his place so people voted for him and his wife served for two years in his place.
And this is a classic example of why a deceased candidate getting elected is not necessarily a sign of uninformed voter. Carnahan and Ashcroft were in tight race at the time that was likely to go down to the wire. After this death, the governor announced that if he was elected his wife would serve in his place and she resumed the campaign. We knew for whom we were voting.

The 51 percent of us who voted for Carnahan knew what most of America now knows -- that John Ashcroft is a crazy son of a bitch.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I inspect every race, do research and find out about all the issues and stands for each candidate, and still end up voting party line. It just rarely happens that I find someone from the opposing party worth voting for.

" "
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Conversely, who says this either? I know no one who says that.

"Vote or Die" was the primary slogan of a group called "Citizen Change" that was very visible during the 2004 campaign season. Founded by P.Diddy, with celebrity members including Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton, and 50 Cent. The group was praised by, among others, Hillary Clinton, who said she believe the group's slogan was "accurate".

The over the top rhetoric was parodied numerous times, most notably by Jon Stewart and South Park.

Was apparently inactive during the 2006 campaign.

There's a little more & a few links at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_or_Die

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2006 at 07:20 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #56
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There was a great Boondocks strip criticizing the Vote or Die slogan.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #57
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm implying that if you research every candidate for every office, then you are abnormal among voters.

I research the ones that have ads on TV.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote