Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #101
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Dem's big night on Tuesday certainly pushed up Obama's timeline. I figured if there was any chance the Republicans could win in 2008, they'd save him for 2012/16 and throw someone else up there for 08. But now, I'm sure they are confident they have a real shot, so why not go with (at this point) the candidate with the most positive upside.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #102
SFL Cat
College Starter

Obama is too much of an X factor at this point. As long as the Clinton's people continue to hold key positions in the Democratic party it will be Hillary. Don't think she'll win, but she'll be the candidate.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #103
SFL Cat
College Starter

dola -- just read where Harry Reid said that before the Dems confirmed Gates for the new Sec Defense, he'd have to answer questions about Iran-Contra...this is starting out better than I could have ever hoped for...

Last edited by SFL Cat : 11-09-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #104
ChiMatt
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Because the National Democratic Party told Leiberman NOT to run as an independent. Because Howard Dean and Nany peolsi and the other Dem talking heads all told Joe to be a good party member, respect the voters, and support the winner of the Democratic primary, which he did not. Democratic leaders in the senate said prior to the outcome of the primary that - should Lieberman lose the primary and get elected to the senate as an Independent - Lieberman would not be asked to be a member of any key Senatorial committee.

Lieberman is lucky that the demographics of the senate are as close as they are, because if they didn't need his vote, Lieberman would be persona non gratia as far as the Democrats are concerned.

What people aren't saying though is that if Lieberman ran as a Republican or said up front that he would caucus with the Repubicans he would have never won the state. He needed to run as someone who would caucus with the Democrats to win.
ChiMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #105
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
dola -- just read where Harry Reid said that before the Dems confirmed Gates for the new Sec Defense, he'd have to answer questions about Iran-Contra...this is starting out better than I could have ever hoped for...

Gates probably won't have to go through the new Senate, I'd imagine.

But Bush will have to realize with his appointments that the Congress is no longer just a rubber stamp for whoever he wants. I agree that it's starting out better than I could ever have hoped. Actual tough questions being asked.... imagine!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #106
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMatt View Post
What people aren't saying though is that if Lieberman ran as a Republican or said up front that he would caucus with the Repubicans he would have never won the state. He needed to run as someone who would caucus with the Democrats to win.

Ding ding ding. See Lincoln Chaffee.
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #107
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMatt View Post
Well he did that - in the Democratic Primary he ran as a Democrat - and he got his ass handed to him. Democrats in Connecticut spoke very loudly and clearly that they wanted Ned Lamont to represent the party in the Senate, not Joe Lieberman.

However, to be fair, as good a campaign Lamont ran in the primary, Lieberman ran in the general election and deserved the win.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #108
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Gates probably won't have to go through the new Senate, I'd imagine.

But Bush will have to realize with his appointments that the Congress is no longer just a rubber stamp for whoever he wants. I agree that it's starting out better than I could ever have hoped. Actual tough questions being asked.... imagine!

I'd love for the Democrats to dredge up Iran-Contra...please, Harry, do it!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #109
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They'll just ask him some questions. In the end Gates will get confirmed easily. Its not going to be a political event for either side.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #110
SFL Cat
College Starter

My only question is will the Dems try to play nice with Bush for the last two years of his presidency or will they yield to pressure from their fringe kooks and try to impeach him?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #111
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I don't think they'll go for impeachment (unless something drastic comes up), but I also don't think they'll be buddy buddy. They'll fight him on most things, but try to work with him on others (immigration, for one).
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I'd love for the Democrats to dredge up Iran-Contra...please, Harry, do it!

That's gonna be difficult to do, since almost all of the main players are either dead or have received immunity, in addition to the fact that the documents related to the case have been sealed until (I believe) 2025.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-09-2006 at 11:13 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #113
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
My only question is will the Dems try to play nice with Bush for the last two years of his presidency or will they yield to pressure from their fringe kooks and try to impeach him?
Pelosi has already completely rejected that idea. The country voted for the center, not the fringes - and it seems like she and the rest of the congressional dems are operating from that point.

Last edited by Subby : 11-09-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #114
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
That's semantics then. The way I see it, Tucker didn't beat Maassluis in the IHOF playoffs. Maassluis gave the game to us.
Beat us, gave it to you, it doesn't make it less painful... :o
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #115
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

How can they impeach a guy for starting a war they supported, based on the same intelligence they were seeing, as well as Russia, England, and every other credible intelligence service in the world that said Saddam had WMD's? I know John Conyers has already drafted this proposal up, but no way it happens. And what if it does? Do the Dems really want to replace Bush with Cheney? It's just nonsense talk.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #116
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
How can they impeach a guy for starting a war they supported, based on the same intelligence they were seeing, as well as Russia, England, and every other credible intelligence service in the world that said Saddam had WMD's? I know John Conyers has already drafted this proposal up, but no way it happens. And what if it does? Do the Dems really want to replace Bush with Cheney? It's just nonsense talk.

True, now, if they want to impeach the world's intelligence communities, I'm all for it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #117
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Pelosi has already completely rejected that idea. The country voted for the center, not the fringes - and it seems like she and the rest of the congressional dems are operating from that point.

I will gain a great deal of respect for Pelosi (or at least her management abilities) if she is able to rein in her party's most rabid members and actually focuses on at least trying to bridge the gap on a number of issues for the good of the country. Somehow, I don't see it happening (even if she honestly wants it to), but we'll see.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #118
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
How can they impeach a guy for starting a war they supported, based on the same intelligence they were seeing, as well as Russia, England, and every other credible intelligence service in the world that said Saddam had WMD's?

While I agree there's no forthcoming impeachment, you really should check out Mike Isikoff's Hubris (or any number of similar books) which makes a fairly in-depth study of what was and was not believed by intelligence agencies in the US and elsewhere at that time. The line you're selling above may be true in some vague sense (most believed there were some residual (pre-Gulf War) WMD's), it really isn't accurate with respect to the US justification for war. The reconstituted WMD programs, nuclear weapons, mobile weapons labs, the Al-Qaeda nexus, etc. were all heavily disputed just within the US intelligence agencies. Those disputes, those doubts, caveats, and qualifications never came out into public, as a consequence of highly focused campaign of propaganda and information control. Now thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of Iraqis are dead and we're stuck in a war that we can't win and would never have entered had the full truth come out. I don't think there should be an impeachment proceeding, but neither should you wave this off as business as usual. This is a mistake we need to learn from.
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Do the Dems really want to replace Bush with Cheney?

I wouldn't be surprised if they start putting out feelers for reaction to an impeachment of Cheney. It would be politically far easier for them to go after him, and if successful, would further isolate Bush, making it easier for them to get their initiatives pushed through. The biggest obstacle right now to an impeachment of Bush is Cheney, and if they remove that, then Bush is pretty much hamstrung at that point.

But that's just the Machiavellian side of me talking.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #120
SunDevil
College Prospect

cartman respect + 10
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #121
Butter
Coordinator

They would really have to figure out a way to make the liberties Bush has taken with the Executive Powers relevant again, and not just relevant, but evil sounding to the general public. I doubt it's a fight they're willing to take on at this point, unless something comes out in the inevitable endless hearings about Iraq and intelligence that will be coming.