Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
SunDevil
College Prospect

For all the Compassionate Conservatives

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001806.php

Bush: Get Me Some Compassion, Stat!
By Justin Rood - October 16, 2006, 11:59 AM

Former White House special assistant David Kuo rolled out his kiss-and-tell book, "Tempting Faith," on 60 Minutes last night. In the book, Kuo -- who handled the thankless task of pushing for Bush's "compassionate conservative" agenda within the White House -- details how cynically the administration used those issues to its advantage.

I've just had a chance to flip through the book myself, which is larded with some fun tidbits (news flash: John Ashcroft cheats in basketball!). But one story in particular of White House hard-heartedness sets Kuo's allegations in stark relief.

Kuo recounts the fallout in the White House from a January 2003 Esquire article by Ron Suskind. In it, former White House "Faith-Based Initiatives" director John DiIulio blasted the Bush administration for "a complete lack of a policy apparatus." The entire Bush agenda, DiIulio said, was developed and pushed by Karl Rove's political shop. As a result, Bush's "compassionate" social policy promises were ignored, in favor of driving wedge issues and making unfulfilled promises.

The article enraged President Bush, Kuo writes. The rest, as they say, is parody:

"Well," [Bush] yelled. . . "is [DiIulio] right or isn't he? Have we done compassion or haven't we? I wanna know."

An hour later we got the first and only call from the deputy chief of staff Josh Bolten's office requesting an urgent "compassion meeting." . . .

[Bush] wanted to know how much we had spent on compassion programs in his first two years of office. We made some calls and did some calculations. . . [and found] we were actually spending about $20 million a year less than before he had taken office.

"That number never actually made it to the president," Kuo says.

Two hours after Bolten's urgent call, a group of advisers including Kuo and now-Education secretary Margaret Spellings convened:

"We gotta get some compassion stuff out there now," Margaret [Spellings] said. "What have we got?"

I wanted to laugh, but it was far more sad than funny.

"Well, I have an idea," the other domestic policy staffer said. "I hear chronic homelessness is a problem. I read an article where there are thirty thousand homeless people in America. Maybe we could do something to help them."

"I think it is just a few more than that actually," I volunteered. The actual figure at the time was over 750,000.

"What else have we got?" Margaret asked.

The attendees were tasked to come up with several one-page policy proposals in the next 24 hours, which the president could consider for inclusion in his upcoming State of the Union address, Kuo writes. Two days later, Bush chose three proposals, and announced them to the country in his annual address.

After the speech, however, "they promptly disappeared," Kuo says.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

With all these books coming out, you'd think an election was coming or something...
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
With all these books coming out, you'd think an election was coming or something...
LOL - my thoughts exactly.

Quite absurd, actually, since everyone knowsthe American electorate doesn't actually read books.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For all the Compassionate Conservatives

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually know someone who consider "compassionate conservatism" a significant influence on their (past) votes?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually know someone who consider "compassionate conservatism" a significant influence on their (past) votes?

No.. just aggressive apathy..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

JIMG
I wonder if thats not simply a catch phrase however, and would actually be an umbrella for such singular items as Gay marriage ammendment, Prayer in schools, etc.

I dont know, really. just wondering.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
JIMG
I wonder if thats not simply a catch phrase however,

I guess that's pretty much what I was getting at (or at least thinking). To be honest, I don't think I ever really thought of it as being anything more than a catch phrase ... which is what started me to thinking that I really don't know anyone that thought of it as anything other than that, and a low impact one at that.

edit to add: Saying this, of course, means that someone will come along in this thread & say that this phrase was their overwhelming reason for voting for GOP candidates.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-16-2006 at 03:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Flasch186
Coordinator

no but one may argue that the "base" and much of America is a "catchphrase" society so that in some people's brains a catchphrase, like that one, equals other things in the brain. So for example, when the right, injects into the psyche of the base, a catchphrase like that, they think "religion in schools, anti homosexual, pro-war in Iraq, etc." (keep in mind Im reflecting - pro-war in iraq may not equate the same today).

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Not sure what he hopes to accomplish with this. Bush is done running for anything. And most conservative Christians, apparently his 'target base' for putting this out could not care less.

The Evangelicals want Bush to be sympathetic in policy, which he has been, and probably don't think about having their 'feelings hurt' which would seem be the point of this.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 10-16-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
"religion in schools, anti homosexual, pro-war in Iraq, etc." (keep in mind Im reflecting - pro-war in iraq may not equate the same today).

Those are not any of the things that I think about when I think about "compassionate conservatism." I thought "compassionate conservatism" was more or less what Giuliani represents - conservative on things like law and order and economics, but compassionate on things like welfare and immigration.

I never really pay attention to stuff like that, though.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Newsflash: the Bush administration is full of shit.

st.cronin is correct, compassionate conservatism is a type of moderate conservatism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassionate_conservatism

Obviously, Bush just used it to get elected and to prop up his poll numbers every once in a while.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Newsflash: the Bush administration is full of shit.

st.cronin is correct, compassionate conservatism is a type of moderate conservatism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassionate_conservatism

Obviously, Bush just used it to get elected and to prop up his poll numbers every once in a while.

I find great irony in your saying st. cronin is correct, given your sig

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I find great irony in your saying st. cronin is correct, given your sig
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Those are not any of the things that I think about when I think about "compassionate conservatism." I thought "compassionate conservatism" was more or less what Giuliani represents - conservative on things like law and order and economics, but compassionate on things like welfare and immigration.

I never really pay attention to stuff like that, though.

Ding Ding!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote