Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Good "Celtic Rock" Bands?

I hate to use this term, but for lack of a better one...

over the last few years I have really become a fan of various bands that combine celtic and some sort of Rock... My initial draw was a band called the "Jeff Greer Band (http://www.jeffgreerband.com)" that is local and has since broken up.

But, currently I play Dropkick and Flogging Molleys a lot. I am drawn a bit more to FM since DKM got their new singer. Beyond that, I dig the Chieftans sometimes when I want something a little more calm and I've heard the Pogues a bit, but do not have any of their albums.

Anyone have suggestions of other bands I should check out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

There are 2 groups from the mid 90's that I can recall offhand... one is a guy named Ashley MacIsaac who had a minor alternative hit with "Sleepy Maggie" that would seem to fit what you're looking for. There was also a group called Black 47 that had some Celtic influence... not sure if either of them are still around, but you might go looking for them some time.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This isn't really my scene, but here are a few I have come across that you didn't mention:

Oysterband, The Levellers, Black 47, and The Pogues.

A couple of these may be more "straight Celtic" than you would care for, I don't know.

The only band I can think of that I listen to that incorporates some Celtic influences is Ayreon, which is a progressive metal band. But the influences are sporadic, and I wouldn't necessarily suggest listening to them just for the Celtic influence, although it's certainly there on The Human Equation, which is one of my favorite albums of 2004.

Hope that helps.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Seven Nations is pretty good. www.sevennations.com
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
This isn't really my scene, but here are a few I have come across that you didn't mention:

Oysterband, The Levellers, Black 47, and The Pogues.

A couple of these may be more "straight Celtic" than you would care for, I don't know.

The only band I can think of that I listen to that incorporates some Celtic influences is Ayreon, which is a progressive metal band. But the influences are sporadic, and I wouldn't necessarily suggest listening to them just for the Celtic influence, although it's certainly there on The Human Equation, which is one of my favorite albums of 2004.

Hope that helps.

"straight celtic" is not bad either... I have several straight-up folk celtic albums (Natalie McMasters is a GREAT fiddle player for instance) and there is a local band that is 90% instrumental and when they sing it is in gaelic that I go see now and then...

That being said, I'll check out Ayreon... I don't necessarily care that it is all celtic influence.. for instance I'm a big fan of Carbon Leaf (forgot to mention them) and they have some celtic influence, but they're not like DKM and FM who often do folk covers...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Ksyrup

I'm sure I wrote something about Ayreon in one of my CD review threads last year. It's progressive "metal" - although not quite as heavy as you would expect - that is basically a project of one guy who writes all the music and gets various prog/metal vocalists to sing on his albums.

Almost everything he does is some sort of concept album in a rock opera style, and Human Equation is no different. It's the story of a guy in a coma who relates his life story with each track being a day in the coma, and we learn about his childhood and then about the circumstances that brought about the car wreck that put him in a coma. There are about 15 singers, each voicing a certain aprt, with James LaBrie of Dream Theater as the "lead" (and quite toned down from his usualy DT singing). I absolutely love the album.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
kurtism
High School Varsity

Fritz would back me up on this: Check out Carbon Leaf. Just a great band with heavy Celtic influences, and their "Media" section includes full mp3s of tons of songs, so there is no risk in checking them out. In fact, the Live Music Archive has about 100 of their live shows, and many are well worth the download.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

celtic frost?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism
Fritz would back me up on this: Check out Carbon Leaf. Just a great band with heavy Celtic influences, and their "Media" section includes full mp3s of tons of songs, so there is no risk in checking them out. In fact, the Live Music Archive has about 100 of their live shows, and many are well worth the download.
Yeah, just mentioned them earlier... Carbon Leaf is actually from this general area and I heard them before they got big after going on Leno and whatever Music Awards show they went on...

Where is this live music archive? I wonder if any of the shows I've seen would be on there...

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

black 47's still around. I always liked their music but had a hard time with the vocalist's singing style. They're playing regularly at a club in NYC these days.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #11
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Where is this live music archive? I wonder if any of the shows I've seen would be on there...

http://www.archive.org/audio/
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
Simms
FOBL Commish

Great Big Sea is immensely popular up here, but with less crack-induced speed fiddle than Ashley MacIsaac.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism

Carbon Leaf good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
one is a guy named Ashley MacIsaac who had a minor alternative hit with "Sleepy Maggie"

I picked up Ashley MacIsaac a while ago in a bargain bin. I suppose I should check him out again.

Quote:

Black 47, and The Pogues.

I love Black 47, but mostly their live CDs. Live in New York is full of energy.

If you like the pogues (I mean anything before waiting for herb. if you like that one you should be killed) you may like the lead singer's (Shane MacGowan) post Pogues work or the Popes, who play with and without him.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

http://www.marillion.com/
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
Ksyrup

I wouldn't really think of Marillion as Celtic, although perhaps that's because I'm more familiar with the post-Fish version of the band. Great group, though. Saw the Los Trios Marillios show in Boston back in June.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Carbon Leaf good!

I picked up Ashley MacIsaac a while ago in a bargain bin. I suppose I should check him out again.

I love Black 47, but mostly their live CDs. Live in New York is full of energy.

If you like the pogues (I mean anything before waiting for herb. if you like that one you should be killed) you may like the lead singer's (Shane MacGowan) post Pogues work or the Popes, who play with and without him.

Fritz - know of any local bands besides Coyote Run?

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I wouldn't really think of Marillion as Celtic, although perhaps that's because I'm more familiar with the post-Fish version of the band. Great group, though. Saw the Los Trios Marillios show in Boston back in June.

Well, I haven't listened to them since about 1992. I remember them as being kind of like a celtic version of Asia.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
Ksyrup

That's probably a good description. Definitely prog, although on the light pop side. Lavender and Kayleigh are two of my favorite Marillion songs. Again, though, I'd limit it to the Fish era (pre-Hollidays in Eden, specifically).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-07-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Fritz - know of any local bands besides Coyote Run?

nah. puts some years on Wade and you find yourself going out a lot less and for not as long. I have no clue who the local bands are anymore.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
nah. puts some years on Wade and you find yourself going out a lot less and for not as long. I have no clue who the local bands are anymore.

I'm pretty much in that boat myself, that's why I'm asking ...

However, with the one band I knew, I made a point to go out and see them... but they were always like in a pub or something, so I could be an old man - sit in the corner with my dinner and eat, ignoring those around me...

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #21
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Great Big Sea comes to mind, they kick ass!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #22
McSweeny
College Starter

i'd suggest you check out The Tossers from Chicago

Blood or Whiskey from Ireland

The Filthy Thieving Bastards from the Bay Area

The Greenland Whalefishers from Norway

The Mahones from up in Toronto

i could keep going, but i'll leave you with two fairly local bands

The Skels and my buddy's band The Swaggerin' Growlers

and of course Shite N Onions is an amazing web resouce. Check it out www.shitenonions.com
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #23
Hurst2112
College Starter

Glengharry Boys
7 Nations
Clumsy Lovers

All 3 of these bands are distributed by the company I work for part time www.oarfindistribution.com (links on site aren't working for some reason. i will check tomorrow.)

I have met the guys from 7 Nations. Very cool. They have a new CD out. We should be getting it soon.

PM me and I can send you some promos of the bands listed above.

Oh, and we DO have exclusive rights to Marty's band's (guy from INXS rock star) The Lovehammers. hehe. funny, the damn thing sold about 1-2 units per month. He's on TV and now the band is promoting themselves without him. They are selling about 25 units per week.

Anyway...shoot me a message if you want to find out more about what oarfin has to offer.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 09-07-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

FYI: when I get home I'll be trying to find iTunes clips, clips on websites, etc for this stuff... all good info and I appreciate it!

McSweeney - when you say local... you mean local to you?

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #25
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
McSweeney - when you say local... you mean local to you?

yep

the Skels are from New Jersey and my buddy's band is from Dover, NH
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
yep

the Skels are from New Jersey and my buddy's band is from Dover, NH

Gotcha...

Definately would love bands that go to super small shows in this area... I loved going to Pubs to watch these bands...

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #27
Calis
College Starter

Awesome thread idea.

Are any of these bands a more mellow form of rock? I love The Pogues(With Shane), but mostly for their more traditional folk music. The more punk stuff didn't really click with me, and the jazz fusion stuff after Shane left is just a horrible atrocity imo.

I really loved Black 47 also, haven't heard them in years though, had no clue they were still around. I think I've long ago lost those CD's.

Checking these out though, but I have a pretty low tolerance for punk or "heavy" rock anymore. I'm getting old at 23.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

I tend to think that much of Flogging Molley (particularly their more recent stuff) is not nearly as hard as DKM and the like...

Carbon Leaf is definately mellow...

Quote:
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #29
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Checking these out though, but I have a pretty low tolerance for punk or "heavy" rock anymore. I'm getting old at 23.

If you're looking for mellow, Capercaille could be a good one for you.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:04 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What about Micheal Flatley?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #31
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
i'd suggest you check out The Tossers from Chicago

Just read this:

Chicago's South Side heroes and Irish Rock staples The Tossers are
providing the perfect stroke of luck for the Chicago White Sox as they
embark on their journey to become World Series champions. The Tossers
are providing the pre-game entertainment on Saturday, October 22nd from
4:15 to 7:15pm at Gate Three of U.S. Cellular Field. The Tossers'
raucous blend of traditional Irish instrumentation and furious Celtic
melodies guarantees a home run with White Sox fans, while dousing
Houstonites with a warm Chicago-style welcome. "I am honored to be a
part of this great day for my beloved White Sox," laughed singer Tony
Duggins.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

And worth noting - I'm going to my first Dropkick show next month.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #33
Ksyrup

Had to dig this thread up because I just found out that the lead singer for Flogging Molly is Dave King - former lead singer for early 80s hard rock band Fastway. I had no clue. Then again, I've never heard FM, so I guess the connection wouldn't have been obvious. Knowing the guy only as the singer of Say What You Will, it was somewhat of a shock to find out, though.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Had to dig this thread up because I just found out that the lead singer for Flogging Molly is Dave King - former lead singer for early 80s hard rock band Fastway. I had no clue. Then again, I've never heard FM, so I guess the connection wouldn't have been obvious. Knowing the guy only as the singer of Say What You Will, it was somewhat of a shock to find out, though.

I do not know this Fastway, so I'll have to check them out.

I'm going to a group called "The Avett Brothers" that is more folk than Celtic, but should be similar in general feel...

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #35
Ksyrup

Goddamn, there's a Youtube for everything:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ch2F2Yf8tw
Old 10-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #36
wade moore
lolzcat

Ok, doesn't sound too much like http://youtube.com/watch?v=lR2QjwNBzEk

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #37
Ksyrup

In retrospect, All Music is right, Fastway was basically a Led Zep clone that somehow sidestepped the beaning Kingdome Come took 5 years later.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #38
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Ashley Mc Isaac is nice.

The Pogues are classics.

Wolfstone or Capercaille comes to my mind also.

If you like "modern" celtic music, I have to name Paul Mounsey. In his songs he mixes the traditional celtic music with more modern elements and brazilian rythms.

PD: Runrig

Last edited by KeyserSoze : 10-16-2006 at 09:50 AM.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #39
Ksyrup

Moshing to up-tempo Celtic music. Interesting. I'd buy into it if there was some meat to the guitars, but despite the up-tempo song, it's not quite moshing music, IMO.

Thanks for the link, though. I definitely wouldn't have made the connection to Fastway had I not read about it.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Moshing to up-tempo Celtic music. Interesting. I'd buy into it if there was some meat to the guitars, but despite the up-tempo song, it's not quite moshing music, IMO.

Thanks for the link, though. I definitely wouldn't have made the connection to Fastway had I not read about it.

Flogging Molly I would say pulls more "mainstream", if that makes sense. I consider them more like.. ohh... The Fray than a true punk band..

Moshing Celtic music would more be Dropkick Murphy - http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/video/index.html# .

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Look at "Boys on the Docks".. the other stuff is some of their more tame stuff.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll echo the Great Big Sea comment. Occasionally the vocals can get a little wonky on their live albums, but a very enjoyable band all around. "Goin' Up" and "When I'm Up" are two of my ultimate mood lifter songs.

The one bit of Flogging Mollys I heard didn't trip my trigger, but I'll mos def check out the other groups mentioned here.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #43
McSweeny
College Starter

http://www.myspace.com/thegoset

They're from Australia and pretty damn good. They're first album/EP is amazing. There's a song called 5am on it and i swear it's one of the best songs i've ever heard
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #44
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I might be able to help on this since I do live in Newfoundland... the centre of all things Celtic.

The three main bands I'll recommend are Great Big Sea, The Fables, and Celtic Connection. All three are from Newfoundland, with GBS obviously being the most popular of the three outside of the province. IMO, at the moment most Newfoundlander would rather see a Celtic Connection concert than a GBS one.

With Great Big Sea, you must ignore their last three albums... which are Sea of No Cares, Something Beautiful, and The Hard and the Easy. These albums are in attempt by GBS to go a more Pop route with their music, and while they still contain some Celtic flavour it doesn't come close to comparing with their earlier stuff. Road Rage is my favourite CD as it does a very good job of capturing the live feel of their concerts... their early studio albums are great as well. And definitely check out Mari-Mac, a very good song by them.

The Fable are another great Celtic band... I personally don't like their live album. But I would definitely recommend their studio albums, St. John's and Tear the House Down.

Celtic Connection is my favourite of the three. A good primer would be their best of CD called Best Of... 10 Years Together. This album includes some really good tracks including Sixteen For Awhile, South Australia, and Peter Street (Dance Mix). Yeah you read right, a Celtic dance mix song... if you watch any Maple Leafs games, you'll probably recognize it because it's played at the ACC a lot.

And a word of warning, you're going to find that a lot of good Celtic Bands play a fair bit of the same material as some of their music is straight up traditional songs. Please don't let that turn you off, because you'll find five or six great versions of some songs each one with a style of their own.

... and if you really want a Celtic music experience. Come on over to St. John's, Newfoundland. Drop down to George Street with it's most pubs per square foot of any street in North America. And have take part in all the fun. And if anyone is seriously considering a trip here... make sure to come the first week of August, you won't be disappointed.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #45
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Goddamn, there's a Youtube for everything:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ch2F2Yf8tw

i hate this place sometimes.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #46
Groundhog
Coordinator

45 posts, and not a single mention of Jethro Tull?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #47
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
45 posts, and not a single mention of Jethro Tull?

I have never, ever considered Jethro Tull to be Celtic.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #48
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
I might be able to help on this since I do live in Newfoundland... the centre of all things Celtic.

The three main bands I'll recommend are Great Big Sea, The Fables, and Celtic Connection. All three are from Newfoundland, with GBS obviously being the most popular of the three outside of the province. IMO, at the moment most Newfoundlander would rather see a Celtic Connection concert than a GBS one.

With Great Big Sea, you must ignore their last three albums... which are Sea of No Cares, Something Beautiful, and The Hard and the Easy. These albums are in attempt by GBS to go a more Pop route with their music, and while they still contain some Celtic flavour it doesn't come close to comparing with their earlier stuff. Road Rage is my favourite CD as it does a very good job of capturing the live feel of their concerts... their early studio albums are great as well. And definitely check out Mari-Mac, a very good song by them.

The Fable are another great Celtic band... I personally don't like their live album. But I would definitely recommend their studio albums, St. John's and Tear the House Down.

Celtic Connection is my favourite of the three. A good primer would be their best of CD called Best Of... 10 Years Together. This album includes some really good tracks including Sixteen For Awhile, South Australia, and Peter Street (Dance Mix). Yeah you read right, a Celtic dance mix song... if you watch any Maple Leafs games, you'll probably recognize it because it's played at the ACC a lot.

And a word of warning, you're going to find that a lot of good Celtic Bands play a fair bit of the same material as some of their music is straight up traditional songs. Please don't let that turn you off, because you'll find five or six great versions of some songs each one with a style of their own.

... and if you really want a Celtic music experience. Come on over to St. John's, Newfoundland. Drop down to George Street with it's most pubs per square foot of any street in North America. And have take part in all the fun. And if anyone is seriously considering a trip here... make sure to come the first week of August, you won't be disappointed.

Great info! I'll check this bands out... I know I've heard Mari-Mac (Carbon Leaf covered it) and South Australia (the local band that really got me into this stuff covered it)...

Quote:
Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I have never, ever considered Jethro Tull to be Celtic.

Ever heard their Songs From the Wood album?