Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Karim
College Starter

Animal Cruelty: WTF?

"Passersby found the dog, a female collie-Lab cross, still alive but lying in a pool of blood in the street earlier this week. Her four legs were bound together with duct tape, a bag was covering her head and there was a tow rope around her neck. It appeared she had been dragged behind a vehicle. The veterinarian called to the scene said the rope around her neck was so tight it caused one of her eyes to pop out. Her neck, back and pelvis were also broken."

hxxp://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2006/10/12/2015419.html

$2000 fine and/or 6 months in jail just doesn't seem enough. Things like this and Anderson Cooper's blog about Africa that HA posted just leaves an impression that the world is going to hell.

Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
"Passersby found the dog, a female collie-Lab cross, still alive but lying in a pool of blood in the street earlier this week. Her four legs were bound together with duct tape, a bag was covering her head and there was a tow rope around her neck. It appeared she had been dragged behind a vehicle. The veterinarian called to the scene said the rope around her neck was so tight it caused one of her eyes to pop out. Her neck, back and pelvis were also broken."

$2000 fine and/or 6 months in jail just doesn't seem enough. Things like this and Anderson Cooper's blog about Africa that HA posted just leaves an impression that the world is going to hell.

Unfortunately, this is how it is for Animal Cruelty. It just isn't penalized very steeply anywhere in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I hear ya. Pisses me off to no end.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That's repulsive. I don't get people who are cruel to animals - at all. Its just... so damn cruel.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
law90026
College Benchwarmer

It's much the same in Singapore. Punishments range from a fine to only a few weeks in jail A recent cat serial killer was only given 2 weeks jail if I remember right.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

The problem too is that animal cruelty is sometimes a precursor to a mental state of lack of remorse/guilt that leads to murder of humans. And these guys end up on the street.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 10-13-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This one is pretty bad too:

http://ga0.org/indefenseofanimals/no...ter_id=4302076

Quote:
On October 5th, 2006, authorities in Sunflower County, Miss. discovered a grisly scene: a blind mare lay dead after being raped, roped and shoved off a bridge. "Peaches," a 28-year-old registered Appaloosa with uveitis (moon blindness) was one of Ms. Ginger Pope's seven beloved horses.

This stuff really should be penalized much greater. As stated above, this sort of thing shows up in the past history of serial killers all the time.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Where's the asshole who posted the youtube link to the goat being strangled by the snake? Class all the way.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What in the F is wrong with people?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
thrym
Mascot

I'm a simple creature I guess.

I figure no amount of piss on the carpet, shit on the rug or puke/hairballs on the bed cover could make me hurt one of my cats or dogs...they are just doing what animals do.

People who beat, kill or torture an animal should be likewise treated...end of story.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
$2000 fine and/or 6 months in jail just doesn't seem enough.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if it was someone's pet that was assaulted by someone else, couldn't the owner pursue a civil suit?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrym View Post
I'm a simple creature I guess.

People who beat, kill or torture an animal should be likewise treated...end of story.

I agree, except I believe it should be multiplied tenfold
Old 10-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm just thinking out loud here, but if it was someone's pet that was assaulted by someone else, couldn't the owner pursue a civil suit?

Yes, but probably only for the value of the animal.

At least we're heading in the right direction. Most states now have felony animal cruelty statutes. It's not too long ago that stories like this wouldn't even be news.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think those people should be likewise treated. That really provides no justice to the dog or the canine population as a whole. How about an equal punishment where we tie the guys up in duct tape, put a bag over their heads and hide some Milkbones in various orifices before throwing them in a kennel?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote