Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2000, 10:55 AM   #1
Riggo
n00b

Thumbs down FOF 2001..lockups..no ticket $ change...yuk !

I bought the product FOF 2001 and try to play it. Here's what I found :

- The Ticket prices could not be changed, even after two seasons.

- My PC locked up on me whenever I tried to make a subsequent offer to a scout or coach during signing periods.

Now my comments :

- FOF2's interfact was way easier to navigate and it was softer on the eyes. FOF 2001 may look snazzier but in reality it is just a buch of fluff with bugs !

- The game play of FOF2 has always been stable on my PC. Why screw with a good thing ? Enhance it don't break it !

- The changes made between FOF2 and FOF 2001 are defintately not worth $1 much less $24.95 !!! Actually you should be paying those of us who got the game as beta testers...because you really need our help !

In closing, Jim is probably very sad to see his baby trashed like it has been. This new release it nothing short of garbage. I have returned FOF 2001 and asked for a refund.

Until Jim comes out with his next product (TCY), I for one will not be submitting to the rediculous crap EA has transformed FOF2 into. FOF 2001 should be called "EA 2001"...cause the game plays about as well as EA itself.

Out !

Riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2000, 09:03 PM   #2
Ravens Fan
n00b

Riggo-

I'm running it on Windows 98 w/ a Pentium III 700 and I've had none of the problems you mentioned. The game runs just as stable as the previous installment.

Also, I'd have to disagree with you that FOF 2001 is just a new interface with a bunch of fluff. FOF2001 has the new license (fluff), plus updated rosters, all previous bugs fixed, coach/scout bidding, TREMENDOUSLY improved drafting, improved trading/negotiating AI, and more.

I don't know why you get the idea that we're paying to be beta testers. It seems all the "bugs" you mention are simply conflicts with your system. The game itself doesn't have a bug, it's a problem with the system and the software.

While I almost never side with EA, you have to understand that EA can't test every single system configuration for compatability. Over on the main board there were a few suggestions for overcoming system problems. Did you try any of those?

I think Jim is very proud of his new release, and I think you would find it even more enjoyable than FOF2, if you weren't so quick to judge.

Ravens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 11:05 AM   #3
Riggo
n00b

Thumbs down

You're entitiled to your opinion. However, I'm not the only one who is having this issue.

If what you are saying is correct, there will be hundreds of systems that will have "system conflicts" with this game. This didn't seem to be the case with the previous release (FOF2). Why is this ?

Therefore, I stand by my previous post and suggest that the game is indeed the issue and not the systems.

Riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 12:40 PM   #4
Homer
n00b

I agree with Riggo .... although I haven't delved to deeply into it yet, seems like a lot to pay for minimal enhancements. (and the interface sucks! Give me some configuration options!)
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 04:34 PM   #5
TRuschak
n00b

I too am getting random lockups. It could be my system... but the more people that have them, the less likely it's the systems and the more likely that the blame belongs to FOF2k1

And boy, it sure would have been nice if they could have left you an option to use the old interface.

Tom
TRuschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 06:55 PM   #6
Riggins44
High School JV

Hehe, yeh but all the fluff has swayed thousands of people into buying the new version.

I can't say I've had any crashes but I will need my eyes examined after playing in 1024x768 mode.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 10:00 PM   #7
OldSchool
High School Varsity

"it was softer on the eyes"

I agree with this. I can't get my marathon sessions going (My wife thinks this is a good thing)

I've started a really lengthy career thread, though, which helps ease the strain a little since I'm looking at a text editor most of the time.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 12:22 AM   #8
ohmslaw
Mascot

You can change the ticket prices. This can only be done between the end of the staff hiring period and the beginning of the FA signing period (This is the same time that stadium proposals must be submitted). In fact, when you click on the button to advance the post season, it tells you that if you progress you cannot change your ticket prices until next year. Perhaps a careful reading of the help documentation, as well as greater attention to ingame dialogs, is in order here?

As for the interface, this is a matter of taste for the most part. While there are some teams with hard-to-read color combinations, and the scrollbar is too small even on low-res monitors, little has changed from FOF2. The changes: FOF2K1 does not follow Windows conventions (does any EA game?), more menus (a good thing--means more features), loss of franchise records (a performance tradeoff), buttons on the bottom (artistic affectation), logos (adds credibility and appeal to the game for people who aren't avid, forgiving sports strategy game fans. None of these changes is patently negative, although you may argue with its implementation.

Gameplay has been radically changed. Drafting is much more difficult (busts and surprises), CPU team AI is improved (no CPU teams signing Randy Moss, Keyshawn Johnson, and Peyton Manning and running a run-dominated offense), players aren't fooled by backloaded contracts, game-plan control is increased, rosters are updated and players are added (most notably, Warner). You tell me that these things plus the gameplay that is the FOF series's hallmark aren't worth $25. Sure, EA doesn't give you a disc with the game on it, but a CD is inexpensive to produce anyway. The $40-50 prices you pay for a game in the store cover profit, development of the software, and the overhead required by a hard copy. You get this unbelievably addictive, detailed game for only $25! You're damn lucky the game doesn't cost $60.
ohmslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 03:34 AM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thumbs down

Hey ohmslaw, sounds like a great game. Too bad I can't get more than 5 games (and usually just one) into a season before the game causes my system to lock up .

And Ravens Fan, just becuase you haven't had a problem doesn't mean there aren't a large number of people that have had a problem - in fact, if you read the message board, you'd know this. And yes, I've tried the suggestions offered on the board, and no, they haven't helped. The game still causes my system to lock up tight after about 15 minutes. No, EA can't test every single system configuration, but they CAN and SHOULD test the game on Voodoo cards (which seems to be the common thread). And seeing as how every other piece of software I have runs just peachy on my system, I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your statement that the game itself doesn't have a bug.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote