Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

funny business on Funny Cide??

Stewards investigating 'suspicious' photo

What else was jockey Jose Santos carrying in his whip hand when he rode Funny Cide to a Kentucky Derby win??

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There is apparently plenty of evidence to support Santos' innocnence, except for two minor details:

1) Several sources yesterday cited Santos as saying that the only thing in his hand other than the whip was a bracelet he always carries for good luck. Well, why you would carry instead of wearing a bracelet is an odd choice, but then Daily Racing Form reported today he says he was carrying nothing at all. Is the story changing?

2) Defenders have said he was carrying nothing and that what we are seeing is a "pinhole" view of the jockey behind him. Well, except that based on the angle of the photo it would appear that what we would be seeing is his hand and that the "object" is dark and not teal like the jockey behind him, that makes since.

I know little about horseracing. Is that a standard whip grip? That seems very precarious. I saw an article from one of his defenders who said he was holding the while like a golf club, but I know no golfer who uses a grip like that. At least not a golf who shoots under 200 for 18 holes.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

no kidding, it looks like he's barely holding on to it. But what could he be holding that would make any difference in the race?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I wondered the same thing? What would he have that would make a difference. But after reading the espn.com article, it does sound like his story is changing (from holding some sort of pager to a bracelet), then blaming the changed story on his lack of english expertice.

I hope everything's kosher here...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

It was a bottle of glue.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Just as far as the what-could-it-have-been questions, I read that one thing they were worried about was some sort of electric shock that would get the horse to go faster than the traditional methods, not too farfetched IMO.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, the best words I have seen written on this have been by Randy Moss (no, it's a different guy also named Randy Moss), over at ESPN:

Moss article on ESPN

Moss basically walks us through Santos's actions with his right (whip) hand during the late stages of the race, and argues that this single photo was taken while he was in the midst of changing his grip, to pull the whip down and engage in a more celebratory pose. That being so, it strongy reinforces the argument that there is nothing behind this claim of foul.

I have no problem with the powers that be conducting an inquiry, but assuming they see what Moss saw, they should very deliberately affirm that nothing was done illegaly, and the Funny Cide's victory was indisputably on the level.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-12-2003 at 08:00 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Santos has been cleared - good article here.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My Aunt is a horse trainer at Thistledown racetrack in Cleveland, Oh. and when I was a kid and would go and visit her, she would always have these 'horse shockers' lying around her house. They were small and had two prongs on them. Believe me when I say they give out quite a shock when applied to ones skin. Heck, if I was horse and someone shocked me with that, I would run my a** off to!

They used to be legal, but not anymore. I could see where in a close race, they would matter.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-12-2003 at 01:04 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote